Library - Import by reference

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Hellyar

Library - Import by reference

Post by Hellyar »

Hello,
Could someone please explain this?
There's no reference to it in the User Manual.
Thanks!
Hellyar

Re: Library - Import by reference

Post by Hellyar »

This is my guess...

1) If you import a library file, make alterations and then Save (i.e. not Save As), it changes the library file, itself.

2) If you import "by reference", make alterations to the imported file and then Save, it doesn't change the library file, itself. However, if you do make alterations to the library file, all instances where this file is used "by reference" will be automatically updated with those alterations to the library file.

It is only a guess!

I daren't try it in case I screw up the library!

Am I close, please?
Hellyar

Post by Hellyar »

No I'm not close!

I decided to risk messing up the library and, then, proved that my guess was rubbish.

I guess the best solution is not to use this feature. If it's not in the User Manual, it can't be of any importance.
strider2000

Post by strider2000 »

This is really just using layer referencing. See pg 195 of the new doc. It's kind of the opposite of your original guess. A reference differs from a copy in that you see any changes made to the original. Based on your comments I don't expect you're altering any library files. But you can put your own files in the Anime Studio Content folder that shows up in the library.

Now suppose you have your own character, Bob, that you've created and put into the library. You then create 3 animations, Bob's adventures, using Bob from your library. Now suppose that while animating you realize that you need to make an alteration to Bob. If you had copies of Bob in your animations, you'd have to make 4 alterations, 1 to the original and 3 to each of the animations (assuming the change mattered to each of the animations). However, if you imported by reference you only need to make a change to the original, in the library. When you then go back to your animations you'll see that the arrows, that tell you Bob is a reference, have turned red. That means that the animation is using an older version of the Bob character. You now have the option of updating part of all of the Bob character to the latest version.
Hellyar

Post by Hellyar »

Thank you!
The light has come on! :)

Yes, as you say, it is in the User Manual. I searched for "Import by reference" and didn't get to page 195.