Moho 12

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

tut

Re: Moho 12

Post by tut »

I have a receipt for the 10 to 11 update dated May 27, 2015 for the price of 99.98. I have a receipt for the 9.5 to 10 update dated March 6, 2014 for the price of 99.99. I would be happy to send you copies in a P.M. if you are still questioning my truthiness. Otherwise, I ask you not to bring incorrect information into this. Now in addition to being sad, I am angry. I don't know if you work for Smith-Micro, but you are doing them no favors. Stop now. You don't know me, and you clearly are not aware of my circumstances. I'm sure you are a wonderful human, please treat others in kind.
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

For those of you who have version 12: has the Character Wizard been improved in any way or is it still the same we've had since version 8?
obtusity

Post by obtusity »

Maybe a bit early to make conclusions on a couple of early (possibly automated) page updates?
timeanddate tells me it is still 11pm-ish Monday in Santa Cruz (Smith Micro's head office).
The new Moho page hasn't gone live with the new version yet: http://my.smithmicro.com/moho-2D-animat ... tware.html

Wes/synthsin75 and tut, you might both be right. I'm an email hoarder: Late February/early March 2015 was a $99.99 Anime Studio sale, perhaps it was also a reduced price upgrade? Likewise 27 May 2015 was a 33%-off launch upgrade price for the new version 11, not standard upgrade price, which would bring $150 down to $100.

I'm sure early adopter (early interest?) emails will go out soon enough, and we don't know yet what prices/offers will be in those.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, SM typically has a Memorial Day weekend sale, if you're willing to wait, but that's not launch day prices. And SM has had a March Madness sale before. So both of those coincide with your purchase dates. It's unfair to compare those special sales to launch day pricing. If you're happy with waiting, by all means, wait for the next Memorial weekend sale (or if there's another March sale).

No incorrect info here, Tut. Just comparing apples to apples, as far as launch day prices go. I think you'd agree that is only fair.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

On this first day of release let me be the first to congratulate the devs and product team for a job well done. I'm really enjoying trying out the new features. 8)
tut

Post by tut »

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess you've never been wrong about anything? Please go back and check the release dates for 10 and 11 and compare them to my receipt dates. Yes, amazingly, they were purchased brand spanking new. I did not wait for a special, I purchased them as soon as they were available to be purchased. Sometimes an apple is truly just an apple. If I didn't love this program I wouldn't have spent the hundreds and hundreds of dollars I have on it. My point is this price jump has priced me out, and that is disheartening. Enjoy your update, and be thankful you can afford it.
mykylr

Post by mykylr »

For me I never upgraded since v9 as the drawing tools never improved enough. Looks like now they have finally improved but I will have to wait.
Shame but doesn't take anything away from what I have seen of Moho 12.It looks truly amazing. Will have to wait on those special prices before I can even consider upgrading though.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

tut wrote:I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess you've never been wrong about anything? Please go back and check the release dates for 10 and 11 and compare them to my receipt dates. Yes, amazingly, they were purchased brand spanking new. I did not wait for a special, I purchased them as soon as they were available to be purchased. Sometimes an apple is truly just an apple. If I didn't love this program I wouldn't have spent the hundreds and hundreds of dollars I have on it. My point is this price jump has priced me out, and that is disheartening. Enjoy your update, and be thankful you can afford it.
http://www.animestudiotutor.com/files/a ... 151029.pdf
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27555
AS 11 release - June 3, 2015
Your purchase date - May 27, 2015
Memorial Day - May 25, 2015

Maybe there were pre-orders during the sale? Benefit of the doubt.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25597
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25781
AS 10 release - Mar 05, 2014
Your purchase date - March 6, 2014
March Madness sale ended - Mar 30, 2014

Don't know offhand if the March Madness sale was a month long, but it would stand to reason.

The point is that, even if these did happen to correspond to typical SM-wide sales, these prices are not typical launch prices. But I assume you won't be convinced anyway. Upgrade or don't. It doesn't effect me. If you don't use it enough to justify the price, you probably don't need to upgrade anyway.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

I'm ready and eager to update. Just one installation question: will this update overwrite my ASP 11 or will it place a new copy along side the old one? Just in case I need to open files in the old version (maybe I'm being over-careful...)
Last edited by Reindeer on Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
djwaterman

Post by djwaterman »

Wow, just watched the bezier handleds video, these look even easier to work with than Illustrator or Photoshop. Can you also export out vectors in formats that those programs accept?
Manu

Post by Manu »

Gosh, Moho is back and looking better than ever. Congratulations Mike, looks like you did an amazing job.

One question, is there, or will there be a trial version?
Tradley

Post by Tradley »

Whoa.
Two hundred dollars for an update?
I'll wait for a sale.
Last edited by Tradley on Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who says Moho is worse than Adobe Flash?!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Reindeer wrote:I'm ready and eager to update. Just one installation question: will this update overwrite my ASP 11 or will it place a new copy along side the old one? Just in case I need to open files in the old version (maybe I'm being over-careful...)
Moho 12 installs as a separate program from ASP 11, so you can use either one or both at the same time. To a degree, you can exchange data between them.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

Greenlaw wrote:
Reindeer wrote:I'm ready and eager to update. Just one installation question: will this update overwrite my ASP 11 or will it place a new copy along side the old one? Just in case I need to open files in the old version (maybe I'm being over-careful...)
Moho 12 installs as a separate program from ASP 11, so you can use either one or both at the same time. To a degree, you can exchange data between them.
Thank you for the answer, Greenlaw. Off I go to update : )
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

djwaterman wrote:Wow, just watched the bezier handleds video, these look even easier to work with than Illustrator or Photoshop. Can you also export out vectors in formats that those programs accept?
Moho exports SVG which should be compatible with some path-based drawing programs like Illustrator. Sorry, I haven't tried that feature myself to be sure.

For import we have SVG, AI, and EPS.

For AI, I think Victor told me that only AI8 format is supported for export, which is common and still works with almost everything, but he said they're looking into supporting later export formats if possible.