Disappointing expensive Moho 12 Update

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: Disappointing expensive Moho 12 Update

Post by Greenlaw »

Tidou wrote:Don't know about 3d engine in AS, I use Debut version 10. Now, I am unable to upgrade anything. I have made only a two minutes movie.
I think Debut supports this too.

The 3D environment is mainly for multi-plane effects but it also allows you to break away from the flat plane and animate the camera in fully. Normally, you'll want layers or elements to face the camera so as not to break the illusion, so Moho has several options for automating that. You can even bring 3D objects into the environment, although I'd much rather handle that part in a real 3D program so I can cel-shade it properly (also, 3D is just a lot easier to animate in a dedicated 3D program.)
I hesitate to buy version 10 pro because some 3d programs still -overall- most flexible (even for cartoons) and cheaper than Moho.
That's highly debatable. I use both 2D and 3D for work and play. They may share certain technical similarities but they are actually completely different mediums. There are many things that are way, waaaay easier to do in a 2D animation program like Moho than in many 3D programs, just as there are many '2D' things that are only possible (or at least practical) to do in a 3D animation program. I don't think either one is better than the other--they're very different tools. It's almost like saying a hammer is better than a screwdriver--they may come out the same tool box but they're meant to be used in different ways.

IMO, the 'better' tool depends on what it is you wish to accomplish and how effectively/efficiently you need to do it.
DVTVFilm

Post by DVTVFilm »

I've been a loyal user of ASP from the beginning, faithfully updating with every release.

Last update to ASP11 was November 2015 for a reasonable $99.

I must say, that being asked to pay $200 in less than a year to update again now to ASP12 with a new name-- well- that's really taking advantage.

I don't think it's fair--- and certainly not an "upgrade offer." Feels like a money grab.

Very disappointed.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

DVTVFilm wrote: Last update to ASP11 was November 2015 for a reasonable $99.
ASP11 had been out a while before November. Chances are, if you wait until November this year, you'll find a similar deal. That's what I'm hoping for.
gjordan

Post by gjordan »

Hi everybody if you like it here is a link to get 20% off in the upgrade to MOHO to both of us

http://refer.my.smithmicro.com/s/kl7dm

This way you help me also to get 20% off
My Youtube Channel / Animaciones y tutoriales
https://www.youtube.com/c/JordansDen
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mohocharacteranimators/ Moho Animators Facebook(English)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mohoproesp/ Moho Pro Facebook(Español)
DVTVFilm

Post by DVTVFilm »

$160 is still out of reach for me. Upgrades honestly should be well under 100.
IMHO, of course.
It's just too much, following on the heels of my upgrade to 11 (which followed on the heels of my upgrade to 10 --- and then again from 9.5 and 9.0)
I love the program.. I'm loyal to it. Want to stay current-- but I just can't afford an upgrade at that price.
uncle808us

Post by uncle808us »

Way too much money bye bye MoHo should be MO Money!!
I use a MacBook Pro, and Anime Studio Pro 11.2
http://uncle808s.blogspot.com
GCharb

Post by GCharb »

Now that's a doozy, money will always be a problem, especially if you are not making a living with the software!

But from a professional point of view, 199$ is cheap, especially if you compare to other software, also, the latest releases added allot in terms of workflow, we can do more and better in a shorter amount of time, which translate into money over time, again, this is important for professionals, maybe not so much for hobbyists, maybe this is why there is the Debut version!

One thing to take in consideration is the added features in Moho 12, they are pretty impressive, and of course it means thousands oh man hours developing the software, which cost money, but they may not speak as loudly to hobbyists, so, again, maybe Debut is the answer if the price of the upgrade for pro is too much, and Debut itself is pretty impressive, especially for the price!

Of course there are free software out there, Krita, OpenToonz, even Blender, but none is as easy and user friendly as Moho in my opinion, although I must say that I like OpenToonz, but I still prefer Moho, by a long shot.

In any case, and judging by the amount of replies here, the new upgrade price is touching many users, so let's see where it goes!
perihelion74

Post by perihelion74 »

gjordan wrote:Hi everybody if you like it here is a link to get 20% off in the upgrade to MOHO to both of us

http://refer.my.smithmicro.com/s/kl7dm

This way you help me also to get 20% off

Hey dude! Thanks, why had noone thought of this before! Saved me quite a lot of money since the Swedish price for the upgrade was a hefy 352USD (yea you read that right, they slap a whopping 25% tax here...)

Thanks you really made my day!

/M
Rainer

Post by Rainer »

GCharb wrote: money will always be a problem, especially if you are not making a living with the software!
Or you could have said "money will always be a problem, even if you are making a living with the software". Or a partial living. You have to balance whether it's worth paying US$199 to support a product which already is doing what you require and for a few new features for which occasionally you've had use workarounds. That's a "no" from me. A company can go either of two ways - cheap introductory pricing to compensate users for identifying the inevitable bugs, or high introductory pricing to hook the early adopters. I'm holding out for an at least 50% discount offer for a stable product, cool with it not happening.
poach

Post by poach »

Thoroughly disappointed with the upgrade price. I feel taken advantage of, for my loyalty and my intelligence insulted by the blatant money grab.I must have visited the website EVERYDAY for the past few weeks, hoping the price would come down. Nope. Nada. Would have to now dedicate more time to OpenToonz.
Keith.D.C

Post by Keith.D.C »

High priced update and still no fixes on some bugs. Not worth it to me tbh.
Diana Kennedy

Post by Diana Kennedy »

I just recently upgraded to AS 11 - so well, same here, another upgrade in so less time is too much for me at the moment. I'm a starving artist.
There should be so much as a fidelity bonus for people who went to many upgrades.
exile

Post by exile »

A new special offer reached me today. Could it be ... ? When I went to the page, it was exactly the same offer as last month - $199 for an upgrade from AS 11. With the same "bonus" of $100 worth of Content. I have a suggestion. I can do without the content. so just take the $100 off the upgrade price. If you can't do better than duplicate the old offer, don't bother to mail "special offers" to me any more.
Steve

http://www.youtube.com/user/toonlyrics
Music Website: http://www.singadream.com
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

exile wrote:A new special offer reached me today. Could it be ... ? When I went to the page, it was exactly the same offer as last month - $199 for an upgrade from AS 11. With the same "bonus" of $100 worth of Content. I have a suggestion. I can do without the content. so just take the $100 off the upgrade price. If you can't do better than duplicate the old offer, don't bother to mail "special offers" to me any more.
Unsubscribe if you don't want offers sent to you.
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

I was kind of right that they haven't work out the bugs yet, or why else would they be offering (twice) free content. It must be extremely difficult to make your own content with their new version. I'll wait till they work it out and offer a real special offer and not a rescue kit bundle offer. I find it better to wait till you fix all the bugs before releasing or offer a early bird trial special for the consumer find the bugs and then release full price of a functional version once confidence is establish.