Exclude Stroke, wait for fix or not?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

KuzKuz

Exclude Stroke, wait for fix or not?

Post by KuzKuz »

Few years i ask about Exclude Stroke fix, but every release this bug not fixed. I made rig, and i can fix white line manually, but this increase numbers of leyers, and decrease performance and FPS. Wait for fix or not?
chucky

Re: Exclude Stroke, wait for fix or not?

Post by chucky »

Great rig KuzKuz love to see him moving too.
Can you fix the back of his head/ neck?
The exclude stroke? All the masking issues should be number one, I agree.
I can see the little flashing line on his ears there, that must be annoying.
Have you written to support?
I know that sounds lame but it will help.

I think the issue is not a simple one, I wish it was.
We can only wait and see, only Mike can tell us, in the meantime I would find a workaround :cry:
KuzKuz

Post by KuzKuz »

I wrote to support in 2011 or 2012 year, but no results. I will try again. Thanks.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Wow, really nice work. I saw your rigging video on youtube.

I hope you can resolve this or find a workaround. I'd love to see more of your works.
KuzKuz

Post by KuzKuz »

Thanks. My Demo Reel. 10/12 Made with ASP.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about - If you create a mask with the "Exclude Stroke" option, then whenever you have the stroke disabled or set to 0 width there will be a thin white line on render.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Honestly, exclude stroke was a stop-gap solution until we finally got layer references (it actually replaced a need for the old meshinstance layerscript). It was designed to handle a very specific case, but is often used beyond what it was intended to address. Since we have layer references and nested layer control, we can now have greater control and use groups to hide/collapse the extra layers.
Undiscovered

Post by Undiscovered »

Hey KuzKuz... Awesome work bro!!!! :D
I found a tutorial about using Reference layers for masking that might help.

KuzKuz

Post by KuzKuz »

Undiscovered wrote:Hey KuzKuz... Awesome work bro!!!! :D
I found a tutorial about using Reference layers for masking that might help.

Thanks, i use Reference layers, in this rig, to solve a problem, but i lost performance and FPS.
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

I second this. This should really be adressed by Smith Micro, it seems like a rather obvious thing to happen when building characters especially since a lot of the example files use masking to build shading areas of a character.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

It is a technical issue that is not easy to fix without breaking other things in Moho. Every time it has been addressed it has caused some interrelated and nasty bug to crop up. The easiest solution would be to just remove the exclude stroke option.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I decided a while back not to fight it. I'll usually try Exclude Strokes first, and if it works, great. Half the time I wind up duping or referencing a strokes-only layer at the top of the stack. To me, using Exclude Strokes is basically a convenient 'one-click' shortcut but it doesn't work for everything.

I'm not sure I've noticed a performance hit when using either method but I admit I haven't actually compared the two methods for performance. If you asked me, it seems like you shouldn't see a slowdown because, without the complex 'under-the-hood' masking involved with Exclude Strokes, layering an unfilled reference for strokes should be easier to process. But I'm just making assumptions here.

Now I'm curious. I'll run some benchmark tests when I have the time.
KuzKuz

Post by KuzKuz »

Exclude Stroke is a very powerful feature, more powerful for me than most all new features in Moho 12, and it must be fixed. Or Moho just lose big part of mask usability for making advanced rigs.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

If that's not extreme exaggeration...good luck with that.
KuzKuz

Post by KuzKuz »

I'm not trying to reduce the importance of Moho 12 features, I try to explain the importance of masks in Moho as a whole.
Features are great, but properly working mask need more.
jayfaker

Post by jayfaker »

Speaking of reference layers, are there any changes/additions to reference layers in Moho 12? There are some frustrating things about them in 11.2, such as when you update vectors it destroys any changes you've made to strokes and fills, fill colors, etc, which I think could definitely be preserved if you separated updating paths vs. shapes.

I mean, it would also be cool to be able to retain changes to existing points, etc, but that would involve giving each point a unique identifier in the code which would be pretty costly, I think. But... if you want your reference layers to really be useful for larger studios, it might be something to consider.