Moho 12 running slow? Spinning beach ball

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

mattchee

Re: Moho 12 running slow? Spinning beach ball

Post by mattchee »

Just to chime in. I did notice a slow down when I was animating to an audio layer last week. I haven't worked with much audio in AS (usually just adding music/effects later in editing), however I needed to sync the timing.

ANYWAY, when I had the audio track in I noticed that I would get a lag every time I went to move a bone on a keyframe. Meaning: I would click and drag to position the bone, nothing would happen for a second or two (probably just one second, but you know when stuff slows down it seems like an eternity), then suddenly it will all catch up and I find that I've moved my bone to the wrong spot, and I can move it back into place in normal time. It's just that initial movement that hangs for a second each time I go to move a bone.

Audio layer wasn't huge. It was just an mp3, maybe 3mb or so.

I'm running on Windows 10, i5 quad core 3.2 ghz (i5-3470) , 12 gb ram. Just on-board graphics.

I haven't tried turning off auto save yet. I will look into that (though I'd rather not have to, its saved my butt a few times). I will also test this out on my surface and see if I can re-produce the issue there. I'll report back on both.
mattchee

Post by mattchee »

Quick follow up on my issue. I didn't yet test it on my SP3, but I did test it on my main rig with auto-save on and then auto-save off. With auto-save off the issue went away completely as far as I can tell.

My complete-lay-person-not-understanding-how-software-works-internally guess is that the saving process is causing it it lag every so often when it is saving - which is why some bone manipulations have a significant lag, while subsequent manipulations right afterward seem fine. Maybe having an audio layer makes the save take longer?
negroclarito

Post by negroclarito »

negroclarito wrote:I found another bug.
When I use the rotate layer XY tool on a bone layer (I didn't try in other kind of layers) to animate it in the timeline, and then if I want to move some vector points in the vector layers into that bone layer in the timeline is impossible. That vector points get crazy and never move where I want.
I don't know if I explain it clearly.
This is an example of this bug.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3o4p ... lRyTkJxems
DremondB

Post by DremondB »

Hi Guys - I've moved up from ASPII to Moho12 --

I have a mac book pro with 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 processor /
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Ram - New Hardrive Running El Capitan OS.

MOHO12's Playback stutters on my Mac - This is before I've done any major work, I have only been playing back the included characters from the program.

Note: I also have a Surface pro 3 with an i5 processor - I had to load Moho12 on it in order to work on
projects. Although the computer stops when doing heavy processing - The Moho play-back on the Surface Pro 3 runs smoothly.

I love ASPII and believe I will feel the same about MOHO12 - I just need it to work.

I haven't seen a patch out on Smith Micro's website -- If I've missed it please advise.

it's hard trying to work with a Stuttering playback.

Grateful for any help.

Regards,
- Dremond
hmb

Post by hmb »

I have been seeing the same issue with the spinning ball of death. This just started this morning. I have 12.0. Where is the auto-save feature located? I can't find it to see if it's enabled. My document is super simple; just a few shapes moving so far. I will log a ticket, but if you can let me know where the auto-save is I would be very grateful.
hmb

Post by hmb »

Here's the computer I'm working on:
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

A few tips:

@matchee. I recently did a fairly lengthy scene in Moho 12 with a lot of dialog, and synchronization was pretty good while stepping and scrubbing.

You mentioned using .mp3. I'm not sure that's the problem but try converting your audio to an uncompressed format and see if that helps. With compressed video or audio files, even if the file isn't huge, the data still needs to uncompress, which could affect performance. This is more true for compressed video formats, but I imagine compressed audio may still affect frame accuracy somewhat. (For video, it's best to use a format that uses whole frames, like Motion JPEG or PNG. I usually just output an image sequence and use the new Image Sequence Importer.)

For general playback, make sure Allow Frame Skipping is enabled. The sync should be reasonably accurate but this depends on scene complexity. Additionally, you can probably disable some of the display properties to improve performance. If you have a very complex scene, you'll probably need to render a preview animation to get perfect sync playback with every frame visible.

If none of this helps, could it be a driver issue? Or maybe you have another CPU intensive process running in the background? Generally speaking, audio sync in ASP/Moho hasn't been a problem for me so it's possible something might be interfering with it on your system.

--

@DremondB. The 12.1 update isn't out yet. If the computer you run Moho on has internet connection, the program should let you know when it's released.

--

Re: general performance. Moho 12 has been pretty good on the two computers I've been using lately. (The workstation at my job and my personal tablet computer.)

The other day at work, we did notice a serious drag on another artist's computer with a scene I had set up. It turned out he had GPU Acceleration enabled in the Display Quality and when we turned that off, performance sped up to realtime again. Just to be sure, I enabled GPU Acceleration on my computer and, sure enough, the same scene got really slow on my system too. I think this is because the character has many 2k - 4k textures maps and this was just too much for the graphics card to handle alone. With GPU Acceleration disabled, the normal CPU/RAM had no trouble animating the scene at full speed.
mattchee

Post by mattchee »

Thanks for the info, Greenlaw!

Actually, my specific issue wasn't with the audio syncing, or playback, but actual lag when I attempted to manipulate bones on a keyframe with an audio layer loaded. No problems with the audio, just that the presence of the audio in the file was triggering the lag. The problem itself was when I'd click and drag to manipulate a bone the bone would not move with the mouse cursor for about 1 to 2 seconds and then suddenly everything would catch up, then I could manipulate the bones realtime for a short period. Then if I did something else (like advance my timeline to the next keyframe location) and went back to manipulate the bones again, I'd hit that lag again.

In any case, as I said in my follow-up post, turning off auto-save made the problem go away.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ok, glad you got it to work.

That's pretty odd though. I have Auto Save enabled here and at work so I'll watch out for it.
mattchee

Post by mattchee »

Greenlaw wrote:Ok, glad you got it to work.

That's pretty odd though. I have Auto Save enabled here and at work so I'll watch out for it.
I know, right? I don't pretend to know why that makes a difference - or why it's only when I have an audio layer - but it seems to do the trick! I just need to remember to save often (and remember to only have it turned off when I am using audio).
Karhu

Post by Karhu »

Hello.

Been working on a bigger project with Moho 12 and I have also experienced big issues with the perfomance.
All of my cases have two similar things, they all include some imported 3d-models(not too heavy) and also imported rigs from another moho file.
Those rigs are pretty simple, some have smartbone actions and one rig hasnt got them at all.

Anyway, files became garbage suddenly, cant translate keyframes, cant really select layers or file menus. Every time I try to do something, I get this windows circle on cursor and moho freezes. And eventually moho will crash.

My cpu is i7-2600K, 16 gigabytes of ram and 780ti as a main gpu.

-Karhu
Karhu

Post by Karhu »

I can confim that it is importing the rig from another file which is causing this freezing issue.
If I create new scene based on the rig and import everything else into the scene, it all works fine.

-Karhu
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Karhu wrote:I can confim that it is importing the rig from another file which is causing this freezing issue.
If I create new scene based on the rig and import everything else into the scene, it all works fine.
I assume your imported rig has layer translation keyframes.

This is a known issue and will be fixed in the next update. In the meantime, you can either edit the tool as described here, avoid layer translation, or switch to a tool other than the transform layer tool, that also works for the layer you're selecting, before selecting the layer.
Karhu

Post by Karhu »

Thanks! Will check that out tomorrow.

I had imported 3d object inside the rig as well. I separated it from the rig and imported and re-animated the character.
Things got pretty corrupted, seems to be working now though.

-Karhu
tisthammerw

Post by tisthammerw »

Soymilkstudio wrote:Auto-Save seems to have been the culprit ! Back to the usual speed :) Thanks for the tip !
That did it for me too! To deactivate Auto-Save Go to Edit > Preferences..., click on the Documents tab, and then uncheck the checkbox next to "Auto save for crash recovery."

Unfortunately when I "upgraded" to Moho 12.2 the problem came back except this time it was far worse--even when the "Auto-Save" was deactivated it was still worse than before! The project I was working on had over 20,000 frames so maybe that had something to do with why some people don't notice it. My guess is that Moho 12.2 just doesn't handle the big stuff nearly as well as Moho 12.0 and Anime Studio 11. So for those experiencing the same problem I am with 12.2, try going back to 12.0 and de-activating Auto-Save.