Please Allow View Zooming to Cursor Location

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Psmith

Please Allow View Zooming to Cursor Location

Post by Psmith »

Does this annoy anyone else? When zooming with the scroll wheel, the view does not remain centered on the cursor location. So, instead of one Mouse operation to zoom into a specific area of the View - two are now required.

One to generally zoom the View (scroll wheel) - and a second operation (Right Mouse Drag) to focus the View.

Better watch your step, also, when Zooming. That Zoom responsiveness is quite dramatic - you may Zoom so far out or so far in that you know not where you are.

Would it be possible to give us all the Zooming capabilities found in OpenToonz or Blender?

Please?

Greg Smith
mattchee

Re: Please Allow View Zooming to Cursor Location

Post by mattchee »

I'd like a ctrl+ and ctrl- to zoom in and out*, personally. I don't think that these do anything else currently, because my brain automatically makes me do those key commands for zoom from other software, and nothing happens (that I can tell).

(*command + and - for macs)
obtusity

Post by obtusity »

mattchee wrote:I'd like a ctrl+ and ctrl- to zoom in and out
I can't immediately see how to do that, but if you're willing to install something like AuthoHotKey, you can remap those keys to send the Moho default shortcuts, so it acts the way you want.

Here's an AutoHotkey script that remaps both the numeric keypad Ctrl+ and Ctrl-, and the number row Ctrl+ and Ctrl- to the default Moho zoom in and out shortcuts.

Code: Select all

^=::^!9
^NumpadAdd::Send, ^!{9}
^-::^!8
^NumpadSub::Send, ^!8
Psmith wrote:When zooming with the scroll wheel, the view does not remain centered on the cursor location.
Not exactly what you want, but you can change the tool Preferences to zoom (using the workspace Zoom tool) with a drag box (invisible) around the area where you want to zoom into.
Change the setting, set a shortcut key for the workspace Zoom tool, and you can hold the key down, drag from one corner of your new zoom area to the other, and release the mouse and the zoom shortcut key, and you are now zoomed in on your selected area and back to your originally selected tool.
Not what you want, I know, but possibly an interim solution?

Alternatively, there is select and Zoom To Selection.
Psmith

Post by Psmith »

Obtusity:

Using the Mouse for this operation is best, since the user is always using it for nearly everything. It's a function that needs to be automatic and built in - by the developers - because it makes the most sense to do so.

If you pardon the analogy, a painter, when working on a canvas, "zooms" his head in one movement to the place on the canvas upon which he needs to focus.

Software usage should mimic this action as close as is possible. In this case, the Mouse imitates the head.

If, instead of being human I was some kind of robot - well, I could understand the process (if painting a canvas) of moving my head forward along the Z axis to a suitable distance, and then making it traverse along the X and Y axes to the very spot. At least a 2 step process.

The way Moho works now emulates a robot in its ability to Zoom in on details, not a human being. Why not improve this as the developers of OpenToonz have done?

I tried to assign a Keyboard Shortcut to the function "Zoom to Selection" - but I soon realized that also required a "Modifier Key" to accomplish the feat - and the level of Zoom to that selection is not able to be varied by me. I would still need two more actions to get what I want - one to Zoom the proper amount and the other to Pan the View. Three unnecessary steps in all.

Greg Smith
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

It's not just with a mouse, you get the same 'zoom to display' center behavior with a stylus or even with Multi-touch. I agree that it should zoom in on the user's focus but this should be an option, as it is in other 2D and 3D animation programs. The devs are aware of this issue and working to improve it. I actually have much bigger problems with current multi-touch navigation in general but the devs are very aware of those issues and working on that too.

So it's in the works and an update is bound to come before too long. Just have to wait and see.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

obtusity wrote:
mattchee wrote:I'd like a ctrl+ and ctrl- to zoom in and out
I can't immediately see how to do that, but if you're willing to install something like AuthoHotKey, you can remap those keys to send the Moho default shortcuts, so it acts the way you want.

Here's an AutoHotkey script that remaps both the numeric keypad Ctrl+ and Ctrl-, and the number row Ctrl+ and Ctrl- to the default Moho zoom in and out shortcuts.

Code: Select all

^=::^!9
^NumpadAdd::Send, ^!{9}
^-::^!8
^NumpadSub::Send, ^!8
Ah, another Autohotkey scripter. If you don't need both number pad and keyboard hotkeys, you can just change this in Moho's keyboard shortcuts editor.
obtusity

Post by obtusity »

synthsin75 wrote:Ah, another Autohotkey scripter. If you don't need both number pad and keyboard hotkeys, you can just change this in Moho's keyboard shortcuts editor.
I tried that, but the keyboard shortcuts editor would not accept Ctrl+ and Ctrl- as mattchee originally requested. So I downloaded AutoHotKey and gave it a quick try (I've used it occasionally in the past at work to work around some software shortcomings).

It's quite possible I was doing something stupid or leaving out a step - if you can get Ctrl+ and Ctrl- to work directly in Moho (on Windows), I'd appreciate being enlightened, as I regard the AutoHotKey solution as a quick kludge rather than an elegant solution.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

No, I did shift+= and shift+-. Alt also works, but not ctrl.
obtusity

Post by obtusity »

Psmith wrote:If you pardon the analogy, a painter, when working on a canvas, "zooms" his head in one movement to the place on the canvas upon which he needs to focus.

Software usage should mimic this action as close as is possible. In this case, the Mouse imitates the head.
[..]
I tried to assign a Keyboard Shortcut to the function "Zoom to Selection" - but I soon realized that also required a "Modifier Key" to accomplish the feat - and the level of Zoom to that selection is not able to be varied by me. I would still need two more actions to get what I want - one to Zoom the proper amount and the other to Pan the View. Three unnecessary steps in all.
Yes, it was a possible alternative but not the best option, setting up the zoom by dragging (my first, main suggestion) is much closer to what you want.

I set up workspace zoom with the Y key (no modifier) which didn't seem to conflict with Moho default keys, then I only need to hold Y, drag (as if drawing a selection box), release, and I'm zoomed the way you wanted, rather than the excessive zoom of Zoom to Selected - and I haven't had to select and deselect as part of the process.
Last edited by obtusity on Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
obtusity

Post by obtusity »

synthsin75 wrote:No, I did shift+= and shift+-. Alt also works, but not ctrl.
Ah, thanks! Nice to know I wasn't missing anything obvious.
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

I tend to use Shift + RMB to zoom as the stylus has no mouse wheel... but I do it with the mouse out of habit too. The fact it doesn't center on the cursor isn't a big PITA, but I suppose could work just fine. I then use RMB to pan, so adding/releasing shift and moving the mouse with RMB gets the job done quickly.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's basically what I do too. I think the Shift modifier to zoom is okay but because it doesn't zoom to the cursor, it really is a lot of extra panning that I don't have to do in other programs I use.

That said, I do agree that pressing the stylus rocker to pan is very nice. In other programs, you typically need to hold down the space bar or modifier key at the same thing, but in Moho you only need the stylus (or mouse) to do this.

I just want it all man! :)