Moho Pro 12 Smart Bone Layer Nesting Issue

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

EHEBrandon

Moho Pro 12 Smart Bone Layer Nesting Issue

Post by EHEBrandon »

Okay I'm having a issue I'm sorry if this is the wrong place please move it to the proper place if it is in the wrong place.

Anyways now that we got that out of the way I'm unsure if this is a bug or I'm doing something wrong but it seems one of my smart bones overwrites my other one with layer nesting. In this case my head turn overwrites my body turn smart bone when I want both of them to work as intended. Its like the only way I could get it to work is by using one bone at a time.

This first picture will show the function working right by itself.
http://imgur.com/HgtTVTf

Then all of a sudden when I turn my other smart bone it all gets messed up.
http://imgur.com/IUv8gu1
Greenlaw

Re: Moho Pro 12 Smart Bone Layer Nesting Issue

Post by Greenlaw »

Hi,

Without seeing motion or any labels, I'm not exactly sure what your setup is here but I hope I can still help.

FYI, it is possible to create conflicts between Smart Bones if you've keyframed the same items in each Smart Bone. If you have two Smart Bones animating the same items, you generally want to avoid animating both Smart Bones at the same time (unless of course you intend them to be used by design.)

From your description, it sounds like you animated the head in a Head Turn Action but also animated the head in the Body Turn Action, so it's likely that one is conflicting with the other if you're animating both Smart Bones.

Personally, I prefer to split out Head and Body turns as separate Smart Bone Actions. This allows me to animate them independently, and when they're set up using the same frame range with linear keyframes within the Actions, it's easy to animate them in sync when I need to. IMO, there's no benefit in combining too multiple movements into a single Smart Bone Action if they are motions you will also want to animate independently. If you wish to combine multiple Smart Bone Actions into one ('HeadTurn' + 'BodyTurn') and you know you'll be doing this repeatedly, you can set up and apply a Regular Smart Bone Action for this. (i.e., Apply 'FullBodyTurn' Regular Action.)

BTW, I noticed that the character's pony tail position is not being animated by the turn Smart Bone. Is that intentional? It kinda looks like you flipped the artwork instead. Normally, I would translate the base of the hair bone chain to slide over with the head turn action, or use the flip bone command at the half way point if the artwork is symmetrical enough to be flipped convincingly.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

Greenlaw wrote: ...If you have two Smart Bones animating the same items, you generally want to avoid animating both Smart Bones at the same time...
Exactly. I found that animated layer sorting in particular should be controlled by only one smart bone. If you have layer sorting in different zones (eg., upper body, lower body, and head) they will all need to be in separate groups so there’s no conflict.

As Greenlaw suggests, you could try saving any layer sort as a regular action and insert them as needed. It’s less automatic this way, but you won’t have smart bone actions fighting each other.
EHEBrandon

Post by EHEBrandon »

Greenlaw wrote:Hi,

Without seeing motion or any labels, I'm not exactly sure what your setup is here but I hope I can still help.

FYI, it is possible to create conflicts between Smart Bones if you've keyframed the same items in each Smart Bone. If you have two Smart Bones animating the same items, you generally want to avoid animating both Smart Bones at the same time (unless of course you intend them to be used by design.)

From your description, it sounds like you animated the head in a Head Turn Action but also animated the head in the Body Turn Action, so it's likely that one is conflicting with the other if you're animating both Smart Bones.

Personally, I prefer to split out Head and Body turns as separate Smart Bone Actions. This allows me to animate them independently, and when they're set up using the same frame range with linear keyframes within the Actions, it's easy to animate them in sync when I need to. IMO, there's no benefit in combining too multiple movements into a single Smart Bone Action if they are motions you will also want to animate independently. If you wish to combine multiple Smart Bone Actions into one ('HeadTurn' + 'BodyTurn') and you know you'll be doing this repeatedly, you can set up and apply a Regular Smart Bone Action for this. (i.e., Apply 'FullBodyTurn' Regular Action.)

BTW, I noticed that the character's pony tail position is not being animated by the turn Smart Bone. Is that intentional? It kinda looks like you flipped the artwork instead. Normally, I would translate the base of the hair bone chain to slide over with the head turn action, or use the flip bone command at the half way point if the artwork is symmetrical enough to be flipped convincingly.

Hope this helps.
Funny thing is I didn't even touch any of the head layers when animating the body turn and vice versa. So that's strange that its doing this. Also it was intentional as far as the pony tail goes I did it through point animation and I plan on resetting up the bones later after I figure out this issue.
neeters_guy wrote:
Greenlaw wrote: ...If you have two Smart Bones animating the same items, you generally want to avoid animating both Smart Bones at the same time...
Exactly. I found that animated layer sorting in particular should be controlled by only one smart bone. If you have layer sorting in different zones (eg., upper body, lower body, and head) they will all need to be in separate groups so there’s no conflict.

As Greenlaw suggests, you could try saving any layer sort as a regular action and insert them as needed. It’s less automatic this way, but you won’t have smart bone actions fighting each other.
So your saying if I group my head, eyes, mouth, front hair, and hair one in a group it will possibly fix this? I rather avoid doing a separate action I would like the smart bones to handle that for me if possible.
neeters_guy

Post by neeters_guy »

EHEBrandon wrote:So your saying if I group my head, eyes, mouth, front hair, and hair one in a group it will possibly fix this? I rather avoid doing a separate action I would like the smart bones to handle that for me if possible.
Yes, basically. Something like this structure:

STACY BONE LAYER
|__Head
| |__Hair
| |__Mouth
| |__Eyes
| |__Head
|__Lower Arm L
|__Lower Arm R
|__Upper Torso
|__Lower Torso
| |__Pelvis
| |__Leg L
| |__Leg R
|__Upper Arm L
|__Upper Arm R

Limit the the sb actions to certain body parts.
Head Turn (affect Head group only)
Shoulder Turn (affect root layers only)
Hip Turn (affect Lower Torso group only)
This way, you can mix the smart bone actions because they won't conflict with each other.

Unfortunately, you'll probably have to rebuild your smart bone actions, but whenever I build a turnaround rig, it's a lot of trial and error anyway.
EHEBrandon

Post by EHEBrandon »

neeters_guy wrote:
EHEBrandon wrote:So your saying if I group my head, eyes, mouth, front hair, and hair one in a group it will possibly fix this? I rather avoid doing a separate action I would like the smart bones to handle that for me if possible.
Yes, basically. Something like this structure:

STACY BONE LAYER
|__Head
| |__Hair
| |__Mouth
| |__Eyes
| |__Head
|__Lower Arm L
|__Lower Arm R
|__Upper Torso
|__Lower Torso
| |__Pelvis
| |__Leg L
| |__Leg R
|__Upper Arm L
|__Upper Arm R

Limit the the sb actions to certain body parts.
Head Turn (affect Head group only)
Shoulder Turn (affect root layers only)
Hip Turn (affect Lower Torso group only)
This way, you can mix the smart bone actions because they won't conflict with each other.

Unfortunately, you'll probably have to rebuild your smart bone actions, but whenever I build a turnaround rig, it's a lot of trial and error anyway.
That worked thanks a lot. :) Hopefully they could fix or make it work without having to have things split up into groups.