Image sequences import in Moho 12

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

cableon

Image sequences import in Moho 12

Post by cableon »

Hi everyone,
Just started working on Moho 12, which involves great improvements (the new Bezier handles not being the least), thanks!

I was wondering, though, if there was a way to view/edit imported image sequences (File > Import > Import image sequence) as separate, editable keyframes in the timeline and layer panel : the user manual does indeed explain, on the one hand, they are now "enclosed in a switch group" (exactly as they were via ASP11's import script), and yet on the other hand stresses that they now work "as a movie", as an explaination to the fact that they do not appear on the timeline. Isn't such a double status slightly contradictory ? Why such a change ?

How can we nonetheless unfold and edit that new kind of "switch group"/"movie file" hybrid in the layer panel, just as we do with regular switch groups ? And make imported images appear in the timeline, so that we can edit them ? That would be very helpful.

Thanks!
synthsin75

Re: Image sequences import in Moho 12

Post by synthsin75 »

We should eventually be able to convert the image sequence layer into a keyed switch layer. In the meantime, you can install the old image sequence script, located in the Extra Files>Optional Scripts folder of your custom content folder.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Can't do that in the current release. I know direct conversion to Switch had been asked for by other users so hopefully it's in the works.

For now, you'll need to go back to the old image sequence script. If you don't see it in the Scripts menu, you'll need to add it. (It's been moved to a 'legacy' folder somewhere. Sorry, don't remember exactly where to off the top of my head.)

EDIT: Ah, found it...it's in Extra Files, Optional Scripts folder in your Content folder.

EDIT 2: Looks like Wes beat me to it. :)
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

is there a way to import a GIF as a broken down sequence rather than a single non-animating image?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

funksmaname wrote:is there a way to import a GIF as a broken down sequence rather than a single non-animating image?
I have a script I haven't released yet that does this, but it relies on a free third-party command line program that the user has to go download and install themselves (as I don't think it allows me to distribute it myself). It's also completely untested on Mac.

But you already have beta access on the AF, Danny, so you're free to try it out and give me some feedback on whether it may be too much for the average user. http://www.kelleytown.com/forum/animato ... IC_ID=3371
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Funny coincidence: my wife asked me how to do exactly that in Photoshop yesterday, and while I was showing her, I did wonder if this was possible in Moho.

The new Image Sequence Importer doesn't support GIF. However, if you have Photoshop, you can convert the GIF to an image sequence easily:

1. Open the GIF in Photoshop like a normal image file.
2. Select Export > Render Video...
3. Choose the Image Sequence option and select a destination folder.

The result will be an image sequence that works with Moho's new Image Sequence Importer. I'm sure you can use other GIF editors to do the same thing, this is just how I was able to do it in Photoshop yesterday.
mattchee

Post by mattchee »

Greenlaw wrote:Funny coincidence: my wife asked me how to do exactly that in Photoshop yesterday, and while I was showing her, I did wonder if this was possible in Moho.

The new Image Sequence Importer doesn't support GIF. However, if you have Photoshop, you can convert the GIF to an image sequence easily:

1. Open the GIF in Photoshop like a normal image file.
2. Select Export > Render Video...
3. Choose the Image Sequence option and select a destination folder.

The result will be an image sequence that works with Moho's new Image Sequence Importer. I'm sure you can use other GIF editors to do the same thing, this is just how I was able to do it in Photoshop yesterday.
I think you could also import the GIF into Photoshop so each frame is a layer (sorry, I don't have the step by step in my head, I'm sure it's an easy google), then group those layers and turn visibility off on all but one. Import that PSD as an image and that group layer will come into Moho as a ready to go normal switch layer... I think...
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

mattchee wrote:I think you could also import the GIF into Photoshop so each frame is a layer (sorry, I don't have the step by step in my head...
Yes, Photoshop does that simply by importing the GIF as described--you don't need to do anything more than open the file. If the GIF has multiple frames, each frame will appear as a seperate layer.

But if you want a playable image sequence that you can easily import to Moho, you'll want to export those Photoshop layers as an image sequence using Render Video > Image Sequence.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Greenlaw wrote:But if you want a playable image sequence that you can easily import to Moho, you'll want to export those Photoshop layers as an image sequence using Render Video > Image Sequence.
For older version of PS, I believe the script Export Layers to Files does the same thing.
cableon

Post by cableon »

Hey thanks a lot! I have indeed installed the good old "import image sequence" script, and it still works perfectly!

I will probably still keep to that MO, even though the newer script does allow infinite loops and so forth.

Thanks! :)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

synthsin75 wrote:For older version of PS, I believe the script Export Layers to Files does the same thing.
Another good one is Photoshop Export To Layers Fast. I prefer this one because it really is much faster than the native script and it offers several options. I use it all the time for outputting character segments to PNG for Moho. The only catch is that it will not overwrite your existing images, so be sure to delete or move them before running the script. I think this script will run in older versions of Photoshop too.

If you do have a recent Photoshop, one advantage with the Render Video command is that it will name the image sequence properly with frame numbers. I think the export layer export scripts will use the layer names instead.