Question about imported bone rigs

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

wulfax

Question about imported bone rigs

Post by wulfax »

I am progressing with my first Moho project (bought the program a little over a month ago). I am using this project as a learning experience, experimenting with different processes in the program. Thus far I have created a front facing character, rigged the body up, and created some smart bones. I am relatively happy with how the character moves, although some movements still need tweaking.

I watched a tutorial on a simple eye rig and made a rig in a separate file using masking and point bound bones to manipulate the eye lids, eyebrows, and iris/pupil. I imported the file to my main project but I cannot figure out how to make it move with my head layer. I thought that I would be able to parent the main bone for the eye rig to the head bone but so far I cannot figure out how to do this.

I think in the end I may make a totally separate head rig so that I can do head turns independent of body turns, but I will still have the same issue of binding the head to the body.

So, how do I bind two separate bone rigs or layers to each other so that they move in sync, or to be more specific make it so that the eyes move with the head when the head goes side to side.

Thank you in advance for your time and information.
obtusity

Re: Question about imported bone rigs

Post by obtusity »

If the eye bone layer is the uppermost layer in your eye rig, bind the entire eye rig bone layer to your head bone.
wulfax

Post by wulfax »

I posted this originally at work, now that I am home I will give you a few pictures of what I am talking about.

jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

See that big bone moving your head from side to side? You need to take the root bone of your eye rig and parent that to the head bone - now here's the word of the Lord...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
wulfax

Post by wulfax »

I have tried to parenting the main eye control bone (the selected bone in the 3rd pic) to the head bone but it doesn't work. I imported the eye rig and they are on two separate bone layers. When I click the main eye bone, then go to my body bone layer and select the head bone, nothing happens, it does not parent. When I select the main eye bone, hit P, the drop down menu only shows the bones in the eye rig, they do not show the bones in the body rig.

I can just go move the vector layers into the main body bone layer and redo the eye rigging, but I was hoping there was a way to import a new bone layer and bind it to the existing bone layer. That way I could make a few different rigs, then modify them slightly for different uses.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Do what obtusity said. Bind the eye's bone layer to the head bone.
wulfax

Post by wulfax »

synthsin75 wrote:Do what obtusity said. Bind the eye's bone layer to the head bone.
Ok, I assume I am missing something (which is why I am asking the question). Unfortunately I am at work so do not have access to Moho. You are saying to 'bind' the bone layer to the head bone, not 'parent'. I just caught the difference in what was being written vs. what I was reading.

I have yet to bind a layer to a bone, how do I do that?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yes, there's a bind layer tool.
wulfax

Post by wulfax »

Thank you. When I remember seeing it but not really knowing what it was for. I will experiment with it when I get home this evening. Thank you all for taking a look at my question and pointing me in the correct direction.