Moho12, freehand drawing issues

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Diana Kennedy

Moho12, freehand drawing issues

Post by Diana Kennedy »

Hi,

I'd bet the issue has been adressed on the forum, but I can't find it, so here is my problem. :|

I bought Moho12 not too long ago. Freehand Tool doesn't work as it used to. When I draw a line, it bends the line into curves around the points without being asked for.
Of course, I tried to play with the "smoothing" slider, anyway between 0 and 100 - but no result. It is not possible to draw a normal line.
In Anime 11, to drew just a straight line with no extra bendings and whetver.
This is very anoying. I want the stroke to be just as I draw it, with no extra curves.

See this screenshot: It drew a heart. It was not possible to make a normal edge.

I am sure that this is just a matter of unchecking some obscure checkbox, but please tell me which one, so I can go ahead working normally. :x

o0Ampy0o

Re: Moho12, freehand drawing issues

Post by o0Ampy0o »

(I have owned Anime Pro since 9.5 never used it, had 11 never used it, just upgraded to Moho 12......I am now planning on using it seems how it has come so far. But currently I am not familiar with it.)

I can draw a heart without that problem.

I do not know why I am able to draw a heart shape without the unwanted curves you are experiencing.

That behavior is typical of active Bolean points. If there is an option to work with non-Bolean points that is what I have going.......I guess.

Have you tried resetting to default?

The image you posted was taken with your Add Point tool selected. Are you actually using the Freehand tool to draw as though you are drawing with a real pencil or are you using some other tool to create the heart shape?
Diana Kennedy

Post by Diana Kennedy »

Hello,

No, this heartt was drawn using freehand tool. I partically never use ad-point for drwaing.

Yes, I tried several times to "reset to default". Doesn'twork.
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

What are the Freehand tool settings when you draw the heart?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

how many strokes did you use to draw the heart? There are still a few wrinkles in the software when it comes to joining up what you (reasonably / correctly) believe have "clean / straight" ends.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

You need to CTRL-P that point at the bottom of the heart to stop it crinkling up like that (which IS annoying, but at least you can easily correct it). As for the rest, I can't reproduce the problems you illustrate. I would *guess* it's something to do with bezier points being turned on or something...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Moho 12 Freehand uses Bezier handles to draw smoother and more complex lines using fewer points. The result is a much cleaner line than in previous versions (which is easier to animate too).
I'm drawing a lot of hearths here and can't reproduce the issue.

If you set the Point Reduction value to 0, then the Freehand tool will work as in previous versions (generating hundreds of points). I really don't recommend you to do that, but you can try it if you want.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Diana Kennedy

Post by Diana Kennedy »

Thank you all for your replies. Ok, the Control-P uncrinkle the point works. But thats indeed anoying.
The problem itself produces regardless if I have set the point reduction to 0 or 100

It must be that Bezier thing. I need to look where I can disable this feature which is of no use for me.
o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

With other software it is frequently a specific tool that manipulates Bezier points. I am not clear whether all points are Bezier in Moho and they just behave differently depending on the mode or whether you can create non-Bezier points in Moho. It sounds like all points are now Bezier reading the literature (not thoroughly as of yet) and going by what Victor Peredes said.

An aside, I am curious why you activated the Add Points tool when you made the image posted earlier?
Diana Kennedy

Post by Diana Kennedy »

o0Ampy0o wrote:
An aside, I am curious why you activated the Add Points tool when you made the image posted earlier?
I am not really aware of that. I just rememeber that made a lot of trys prior to do the screenshot And I think I also tried to use the ad points tool to see if the points made that way also went crinkeled.
Lebostein

Post by Lebostein »

It is a shame to leave alone the Debut users with these problems. The Debut users HAVE NO control over the bezier points. This contradicts all rules of a transparent and comprehensible software. BASIC control features of a vector graphic software should not be a black box!!!! Please remove optional and professional features to build a slimmed down Debut version, but NEVER, NEVER remove fundamental and necessary control features!!! :evil:
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

New features, like beziers, are not fundamental or necessary. You can change any point to normal curvature.
Diana Kennedy

Post by Diana Kennedy »

synthsin75 wrote:New features, like beziers, are not fundamental or necessary. You can change any point to normal curvature.
HOW? Please tell me if there is a way to disable that Bezier behavior, because it annoys.

By the way, I am using MOHO12 pro.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Setting point reduction to zero on the freehand tool does not use bezier curves.
obtusity

Post by obtusity »

Doesn't Ctrl+P (Draw > Peak, probably Cmmd+P on a Mac) and Ctrl+M (Draw > sMooth) plus the Curvature tool give you something similar to pre-12 curve behaviour? (You can still turn on/off display of the Bezier handles in Pro, but they are not necessary)

I see (in Pro) Edit > Preferences has the option Legacy curves for new layers under Layers/Objects and the option Classic point editing keyboard shortcuts under Tools. So, it looks like you should be able to get close to pre-12 pre-Bezier curve behaviour if desired?
(Unless I've missed something, which is quite possible)