Moho 13.

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Klywon

Re: Moho 13.

Post by Klywon »

JaMike wrote:So it looks like Smith Micro bought a company called iMobileMagic last year, and are handing over all development responsibilities to them. So on one hand it's a classic case of sacking the American programmers and outsourcing to a cheaper country, but on the other hand, we have a fresh new team that's hungry and eager to prove themselves. And also has expertise in the mobile market, so maybe we will finally see Moho on our phones.
Why in the flying heck would we want to see Moho in our phones? This software is used to make real animated tv shows for christ's sake, and the last thing I would like to see would be that Moho turned into a nice little app so that every kid can make their own nice little animations. :D
exile

Post by exile »

I have nothing against kids getting into animation, I remember some delightful shorts posted by proud parents. But yeah, I share your concerns. If you add up the money and especially the time and effort the user community has contributed to this software, changing would be a major disruption for most of us. Like most users - this is an educated guess - I love and hate this software, really wish some things could be made easier, but haven't found an alternative. At least we have a pretty sophisticated tool to work with for the next couple of years. I won't rush to buy Version 13, for one thing the tug of war between customers and vendor to get a lower price is totally legitimate, and with a new development team I will be skeptical about the quality of the product.
BTW, the mail to Mr. Kloussing I posted in this thread has not been answered.
Steve

http://www.youtube.com/user/toonlyrics
Music Website: http://www.singadream.com
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

exile wrote:BTW, the mail to Mr. Kloussing I posted in this thread has not been answered.
I sent a similar mail to Mr Kloussing and did get a generic response from "Rafael Torres / Moho Team" - which essentially referred me to their Facebook post (echoed on LM) outlining their commitment to their Graphics business.
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
exile

Post by exile »

Thanks for that information, Sam. I like your phrase "generic answer". I haven't joined the group of well-wishers of the new product manager yet, my attitude is "wait and see".
Steve

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

exile wrote:Thanks for that information, Sam. I like your phrase "generic answer". I haven't joined the group of well-wishers of the new product manager yet, my attitude is "wait and see".
Yeah, without anyone we're familiar with at the helm, or even involved, I'm more skeptical than not too. They would have been smart to retain Victor or someone just for PR purposes.

EDIT: Just got an email titled "Final Days - 40% Off Moho Pro Your All-In-One Professional Animation Tool". I'm not sure "Final Days" is the message they really want to lead with.
exile

Post by exile »

synthsin75 wrote: EDIT: Just got an email titled "Final Days - 40% Off Moho Pro Your All-In-One Professional Animation Tool". I'm not sure "Final Days" is the message they really want to lead with.
Lol. The Last Days of Pompeii as an award-winning animation production powered by Moho.
Steve

Klywon

Post by Klywon »

exile wrote:I have nothing against kids getting into animation, I remember some delightful shorts posted by proud parents. But yeah, I share your concerns. If you add up the money and especially the time and effort the user community has contributed to this software, changing would be a major disruption for most of us. Like most users - this is an educated guess - I love and hate this software, really wish some things could be made easier, but haven't found an alternative. At least we have a pretty sophisticated tool to work with for the next couple of years. I won't rush to buy Version 13, for one thing the tug of war between customers and vendor to get a lower price is totally legitimate, and with a new development team I will be skeptical about the quality of the product.
BTW, the mail to Mr. Kloussing I posted in this thread has not been answered.
Yeah, maybe I was being a bit too aggravating. For sure I have nothing against kids getting into animation, but the kids that really are that enthusiastic always find a way and I think desktop Moho is a great software even for beginners. It's just that obviously mobile Moho wouldn't be much more than a toy, and a real waste of time and money for someone who uses Moho to make a living. Because this software is really, really capable for doing professional stuff and I think they probably don't market the software this way effectively enough. That's why we have Maya still dominating the industry.

I would certainly buy version 13, even if it was merely a v12, but with the fluentness and performance of v11. Moho 12 had some really cool and useful new tools, but the software itself was a miserable step down. Just tons of bugs, which make the animating experience really unpleasant, and I still can't figure out why the performance is so bad compared to any recent older version.

For such a great line of software it's a shame, but nothing that can't be fixed for future releases.
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

exile wrote:Maybe someone on the forum is more knowledgeable than the rest of us - from what I can find Europe is weak on venture capital once a company is out of the start-up and into the growth phase.
I'm not talking about venture capital, I'm talking about R&D grants. I worked for an animation company that got one basically for getting a lawyer to fill in the forms. They had to do it in conjunction with another European company, but there's plenty of those around. :)
JaMike

Post by JaMike »

exile wrote:I haven't joined the group of well-wishers of the new product manager yet, my attitude is "wait and see".
The new product manager is ex-Microsoft - make of that what you will. :D

But seriously, everyone should calm down. The sky isn't falling. Moho is just getting a new programming team. Moho 12 is the best version yet, and is competing with the big expensive software out there. It's a great place to start from.

Look at it this way - I have more faith in the future of Moho than I do in Toon Boom. They appear to have given up on updates altogether, according to this.

Let's give the new Moho team a chance. If Victor and Mike are sticking around, the least we can do is show the same spirit.
dueyftw

Post by dueyftw »

As most of know that there is a Beta Team. We all signed NDA's and the lead was Mike. Other than Mike everything for beta testing is still in place. Also that SM seems to have outsource the beta testing. What I see so far I'm of the opinion that bugs will be dealt with. Updates and innovations? Who knows?

Dale
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

When I relax the bones on my character it asks me for more money and offers to re-finance my home :roll:
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations
h3rb

Post by h3rb »

We are here. We are Moho. We are in the United States on both coasts, and in Braga, Portugal (and in Belgrade!).

SM cares very much about it's Productivity & Graphics products. And so do us as individual contributors. We are here, and we are working on the next version of Moho. We read your posts and catalog your suggestions, gripes and comments. Thanks for being Moho users -- keep up the awesome work. I love to see your GIF loops as well as your screen grabs.

H3rb

Lead Software Engineer
Productivity and Graphics
Poser and Moho
Smith Micro Software Inc.
Pittsburgh, PA

PS. Just so you know, I was a proud owner of Anime Studio 9
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Thanks for dropping in H3rb. Looking forward to great things from the team. :)
jayfaker

Post by jayfaker »

Oh... Thank you h3rb. I know most software developers can never say much, so thanks for letting us know you're alive and kicking. :)

Also, to anyone... is there a Moho prerelease program? Any way to get in on that? Maybe PM me?
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Hi H3rb! Welcome to the forum.