Is Moho 12 "multicore aware"?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Ghaustom

Is Moho 12 "multicore aware"?

Post by Ghaustom »

Hello. I tried to find the answer in the forum first. Planning to build my next PC and need to know if Moho 12 would benefit from a 8 core CPU. Regards.
Greenlaw

Re: Is Moho 12 "multicore aware"?

Post by Greenlaw »

It can but I think currently Moho maxes out at 4 or maybe 6 cores. Apparently, rendering efficiency starts to go down when more cores are working on the scene.

It was explained to me that this limitation was determined way back when typical desktop computers did not have as much RAM as they do today, and the limitation was being re-evaluated for a future version of the program.

FWIW, I'd go for as much as you can get. Even if it doesn't help in the current version of Moho, it may improve performance in other graphics programs, and Moho may eventually take advantage of additional resources in the future.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

That's right. Moho is going to max out at 4 cores when rendering. 8 won't help Moho directly, but it may keep your computer more responsive while Moho is rendering. For example, if you start Moho rendering and switch over to Photoshop or something to do some other work.
Ghaustom

Post by Ghaustom »

As long as Moho uses more than one core, 4 is nice as I'll still have 4 more available for my other needs. This is good. Thank you all.
SimplSam

Post by SimplSam »

I currently have an i5 (quad core) 3.5Ghz and was considering upgrading to i7 quad (maybe 4Ghz) with Hyper-Threading -- as my CPU cores generally max out when rendering*, but I think the performance increase for Moho rendering may be minimal (i.e. 10-15%) ?

*Note: PC is still usable for other non-intensive tasks
Moho 14.1 » Win 11 Pro 64GB » NVIDIA GTX 1080ti 11GB
Moho 14.1 » Mac mini 2012 8GB » macOS 10.15 Catalina
Tube: SimplSam

Sam
resle2

Post by resle2 »

Note that when you launch a render job from command line, Moho apparently uses ALL the available cores.

(tested on a 16 cores / 32 threads Xeon)