How would you do this using Moho

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Ghaustom

How would you do this using Moho

Post by Ghaustom »

The animations I am referring to are @29 sec up to 41 sec in the background. The dots are linked to each other. Some of the lines are blurred for a 3D perspective illusion. I have seen that type of animation a lot and like the organic way the dots move. I am looking for a tutorial close enough to reproduce this or at least find out what that type of animation is called.
Thank you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqqA4_syVoo
dueyftw

Re: How would you do this using Moho

Post by dueyftw »

Aftereffects;

I would be learning Aftereffects for this kind of animation. Moho is geared to character animation. It could do this, but AE would look better.

Dale
Ghaustom

Post by Ghaustom »

dueyftw wrote:Aftereffects;

I would be learning Aftereffects for this kind of animation. Moho is geared to character animation. It could do this, but AE would look better.

Dale
So Moho is not suited for this type of animation. Good to know. I am learning Processing from processing.org.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I agree...this sort of thing is more typically done in a compositing program like AE. That said, there are certain aspects of the footage that could be easier to setup and animate in Moho and then composited with other elements in AE.

That's essentially what AE is for: bringing in material from many sources and making it work together. IMO, unless you need to be restricted to using only one program, there's no reason you can't use both. (I use both in nearly every project I work on these days.)

But if you can only use one program for this type of animation, yeah, AE is probably the better choice.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Ghaustom wrote:The animations I am referring to are @29 sec up to 41 sec in the background. The dots are linked to each other. Some of the lines are blurred for a 3D perspective illusion.
The constellations in the background would be easy to do in Moho.
david_macrae

Post by david_macrae »

The specific effect you are talking about was done with an after effects plugin called Plexus.

and here is another example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCSQuzVjZ14

There are better examples but if you look on the right hand side of other videos you will get the idea.
Ghaustom

Post by Ghaustom »

synthsin75 wrote:
Ghaustom wrote:The animations I am referring to are @29 sec up to 41 sec in the background. The dots are linked to each other. Some of the lines are blurred for a 3D perspective illusion.
The constellations in the background would be easy to do in Moho.
The constellation animation as you call it is the only thing I was focusing on. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. Any links that could help me is welcome.
Ghaustom

Post by Ghaustom »

david_macrae wrote:The specific effect you are talking about was done with an after effects plugin called Plexus.

and here is another example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCSQuzVjZ14

There are better examples but if you look on the right hand side of other videos you will get the idea.
Thank you.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I did something like that already:
http://www.slowtiger.de/examples/konstellation.mov
You could easily add the blur by duplicating the animated layer and set the blur to your liking, all in Moho.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

Ha! Slowtiger was not so slow - beat me to it.... something like this? : all Moho!
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Nice one. It's all in the timing, lots of possible variations. The only thing Moho can't do is to have the 2 ends of a line in different Z depths and adjust the blur to that. One can, however, fake it a bit with animated line width.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

slowtiger wrote:Nice one. It's all in the timing, lots of possible variations. The only thing Moho can't do is to have the 2 ends of a line in different Z depths and adjust the blur to that. One can, however, fake it a bit with animated line width.
thanks ... And yes - animated line widths; the constellation is in a bone group using pin bones to shift stars and lines; the group layer size is animated; and in a particle layer with blend mode add against the "sky". The sky colour shift is an animated shape - plus layer motion - high blur plus blend mode multiply.
Ghaustom

Post by Ghaustom »

Amazing! Close enough. Thank you.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

let me know if you need more info about "how"...
Ghaustom

Post by Ghaustom »

hayasidist wrote:let me know if you need more info about "how"...
I will. Thanks again.