Line Width Tool, Remember When...

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

drumlug13

Line Width Tool, Remember When...

Post by drumlug13 »

I'm not sure when this changed, probably around Anime Studio version 10... When we were working with the Line Width Tool, clicking by a point automatically changed the width of that point to 0, then we could drag to the desired width. Is that how it used to work or am I thinking of another program? It was nice being able to avoid a 2 step process when tapering lines.
If this was in AS, is this still possible to do if we hold a hot key? I'm wondering if I missed something in the manual.

Could it be scripted in? Also it would be really cool if there was a similar hot key that worked with the Curvature Tool. Hold down the key and click on a curved point to automatically peak it instead of a 2 step click and drag. As a matter of fact, didn't the Curvature Tool used to work that way too?

I don't know... maybe I'm fried
Adam
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Re: Line Width Tool, Remember When...

Post by Lost Marble »

Yes, you remember right. I think we got requests to not do that, so it was removed. Sorry, there's no modifier key to bring it back.

However, you ask if it's scriptable - all the tools are Lua scripts. You can go in and modify them, so you could add your own modifier key to bring back that old behavior. That assumes you're a little bit comfortable messing around with Lua code. Normally I wouldn't tell a user to try modifying the code themselves, but since you asked about scripting...
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

Personally I am terrified of tinkering around with Lua or any kind of code, but if there is a really really bored scripter hanging around looking for something to do... I have a 6 pack with your name on it.

Thank you Mr. C ... hope you are doing well.
Adam
funksmaname

Post by funksmaname »

can't you select and drag to the left? That's technically one movement... I don't think it makes sense to snap to 0 every time you want to tweak line width on anything!
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

I usually "sketch" things out with the drawing tools then go back to adjust everything and taper line ends etc. So if there is a ton of line work, then yeah click + drag gets old. Not to mention the fact that if you are zoomed in on the artwork, then you have to click + drag + run out of screen + click again + drag again.

So when I have a day like today when I spent a lot of time click + dragging, it made me miss the days of click to 0. Having a modifier for one click taper makes total sense.
Adam
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

I'll admit that I kind of liked the snap to 0 myself. That's the most common type of width editing I would do - taper the ends down to zero.

But I also realize that it's probably kind of unexpected if you're new to Moho or this tool. The current behavior is probably better for more general usage, but a modifier key could be helpful for people who know they want to go straight to zero.