Reference layers dont work in Moho 12

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Animator101

Reference layers dont work in Moho 12

Post by Animator101 »

Hi, I am pretty new to Moho and animation so I might be doing something wrong but when I create a layer and make a reference layer and than go back to my layer and pull points around, I am pretty sure reference layer is suppose to follow changes cuz it's his clone. Well in my version of Moho (Pro 12) it doesn't. They are just 2 separate layers. So...I can than just use Duplicate layer button since that's the same thing right. What's the reason for existence of reference layers than?
Thank you
synthsin75

Re: Reference layers dont work in Moho 12

Post by synthsin75 »

Did you make a reference or a duplicate?
Animator101

Post by Animator101 »

synthsin75 wrote:Did you make a reference or a duplicate?
I made a simple shape , circle. Just to check how reference layers work. Than I made a REFERENCE of a circle layer and I went back to my original layer and started pulling points around but no changes have been happening in its reference which is something that is suppose to happen according to tutorials and manual.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

How did you separate them from being stacked on each other?
obtusity

Post by obtusity »

Sorry to steal your thunder, Wes, I'm posting this so I will remember it myself - thank you for hinting at the possibility! It helped me understand referencing more.

As Wes (synthsin75) implies, if you use the Transform Points tool to move the shape on the reference layer aside, that breaks the referencing for point manipulation - you have indicated to Moho that you now want to transform the points of the reference layer separately to the original.

If you use the Transform Layer tool to move the reference layer to the side, point transform will remain referenced.

Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

If you happen to break the reference, you can re-sync it by going here and right-clicking the appropriate channel:

This will sync the reference's 'broken' channel to the original's channel again. You'll lose any unique changes you made to this reference, but naturally, that's kinda the point.

You can do this per-channel as needed (like only the points, as in the above example,) or choose to consolidate all the channels and sync all of them at once. (You'll probably want to unconsolidate the channels after sync-ing.)
Animator101

Post by Animator101 »

Wow...THANK YOU so much guys. I am new to Moho and I would have never believed that THAT would matter. The tool I am separating layers with. But I see that made the whole difference. I am reading the manual but it's somehow poorly explained. Thanks for solving this one.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Glad obtusity and Greenlaw got you sorted out.

And no problem, obtusity. As long as you're not leading him astray, you're saving me the time of explaining further.