The Present and Future of Moho

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

EHEBrandon

Re: The Present and Future of Moho

Post by EHEBrandon »

InfoCentral wrote:SMITH MICRO SOFTWARE, INC.
QUARTERLY REPORT ON FORM 10-Q
September 30, 2018

Three Months Ended September 30, 2018 Compared to the Three Months Ended September 30, 2017

Graphics revenue decreased by $0.9 million or 78.3% over last year, primarily related to the termination of our reseller agreement with Japanese software developer Celsys, which permitted us to market, license and provide support for the English-language version of Clip Studio Paint (formerly Manga Studio), in 2017.

Nine Months Ended September 30, 2018 Compared to the Nine Months Ended September 30, 2017

Graphics revenue decreased by $2.2 million or 62.7% over last year, primarily related to the termination of our reseller agreement with Celsys.

3. Going Concern Evaluation

The Company will take the following actions, if it starts to trend unfavorably against its internal profitability and cash flow projections, in order to mitigate conditions or events that would raise substantial doubt about its ability to continue as a going concern:

•Raise additional funds through short-term loans.
•Implement additional restructuring and cost reductions.
•Raise additional capital through a private placement.
•Secure a commercial bank line of credit.
•Dispose of one or more product lines.
•Sell or license intellectual property.

SOURCE: https://www.smithmicro.com/docs/default ... 3-2018.pdf
I really hope they sell Moho to a different company before canning it. However I feel they would can Poser before Moho since Moho is their most popular software aside from the previously popular Manga Studio. I know Moho Pro 13 is in active development right now and will for sure release this year however if it does poorly I could see it getting no new version after this.

To be fair they their sales are low to because Moho hasn't have a new version for almost three years and Poser hasn't had a new version for almost four years... So I mean that's a long time without a new version number and a lot of people wont jump on the current versions now considering how old they are. If people do research they're probably waiting out for the next version.
pihms

Post by pihms »

Considering that the report went out in September and they are still working on development for Moho, I'm trying to be optimistic. Moho has many advantages currently that make it a top-notch animation program, along with a good pricing structure.

Poser, on the other hand, has some stiff competition, when it comes to price, with Daz3D's free Daz Studio and Hexagon as well as Reallusion's iClone and Character Creator, not to mention Blender's new 2.8 interface change and new abilities. They need to look at those products, minus Blender, make Poser a noticeably better product at a much lower price with a store that matches and rivals Daz3D and Reallusion. I'm sure it's easier said than done. With the closing of Content Paradise, and not much impressed by Renderosity as a comparison, I doubt that will happen though.

Maybe it's just my perception of the whole thing, but it appears to me that many of the competing companies are getting a better handle on what the needs of the consumers are, how to keep the interest going on their products, and developing for what is current and coming. They seem to place a passion behind their products as if it was their greatest joy to develop and sell. Their enthusiasm in their product development and advertisements seems to bring on the interest of others. Maybe, those are some good examples to look at and restructure how the products are developed and sold.

I may be a little different in that respects though. I look at the product quality and try not to look at the flashy salesman's pitch. I'm looking forward to Moho 13, hoping for those things that will help it stand-out among the other competitors. A little flashy sales pitch might help it with the rest of the consumers not already sold on Moho.
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

This is in no way meant to put down the new development team or any development team in the past, i'm sure they're doing their best and that there are many exciting updates in the works.

That being said, MoHo is in the hands of a company that is just not a good fit. Interestingly, Moho got into Smith Micro's hands more by accident than anything else, since they bought the former owners mainly for a utility software that they had in their portfolio and Moho kind of was an added benefit. If you listen to the last financial results phone conference, one analyst even asked the managers, why they had something like Moho or other graphics products in their portfolio.

I never heard about SM before Moho but my guess is, they became big in the golden age of utility programs and early internet tools. In my opinion, the whole marketing of Moho is handled very weirdly and they can't quite decide whether to position it as a hobbyist software or a professional tool. Just compare the webpages for Moho with that of any other animation software out there and you can tell, that there's definitely a lot left to be desired. In my opinion, the best thing that could happen to Moho is it being sold off to a company that has actual experience with graphic design/animation/video tools. Serif would be nice i.e. :D
flop3545

Post by flop3545 »

JoelMayer wrote:In my opinion, the best thing that could happen to Moho is it being sold off to a company that has actual experience with graphic design/animation/video tools. Serif would be nice i.e. :D
This would be amazing. I've lost count of the times I've seen Affinity Designer/Photo users request an animation / motion design product, so it'd fill a gap nicely.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

flop3545 wrote:I've lost count of the times I've seen Affinity Designer/Photo users request an animation / motion design product, so it'd fill a gap nicely.
I think I've answered many of those posts. I've always recommend using the FREE Synfig Studio with Affinity as its a seamless import option. As far as Serif goes I believe they are already teaming up with Reallusion's CrazyTalk Animator (Cartoon Animator) as they were listed as one of the sponsors of their 2018 animation contest.

SOURCE: https://www.reallusion.com/crazytalk-an ... index.html
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

Yeah, CartoonAnimator 4 has just been announced with a "3D Head feature". None of it is nearly as advanced as MoHo is but well...