Importing a video into Project

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

RyanSurrey

Importing a video into Project

Post by RyanSurrey »

I am making a project in which few videos get arranged in grid with masks and other stuff. but even if i use 1 video, the interface is extremely slowing down. Is there a solution to do it
slowtiger

Re: Importing a video into Project

Post by slowtiger »

Hm ... do you need to adjust the videos while running, according to their content? Then you need to work on them one by one, switching off visibility of the rest.

If you only have to arrange the videos in place once, use the "invisible while editing" option.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
RyanSurrey

Post by RyanSurrey »

slowtiger wrote:Hm ... do you need to adjust the videos while running, according to their content? Then you need to work on them one by one, switching off visibility of the rest.

If you only have to arrange the videos in place once, use the "invisible while editing" option.
I need to arrange the content according to the video. even using one video at a time is jamming the whole interface.
jezjones29

Post by jezjones29 »

Can you create smaller videos and use them as placeholders? Then turn the high-res versions on when you need to render.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Just a few thoughts. Not sure they apply but...

If your videos use compression, that could potentially drag down the system and affect frame accuracy, especially when scrubbing and stepping backwards. Video compression is CPU intensive.

You could place uncompressed videos. That may improve performance but, on the other hand, it might also gobble up all your RAM. I would give this a try and see what happens. Tip: If the videos don't need to be super high res (i.e., they appear smaller than the entire project dimensions,) re-render them with smaller dimensions. Slightly larger than the largest they will actually appear should be fine.

Alternatively, you can use PNG or JPG image sequences. For scrubbing, I like to use lower quality JPG for speed, but if it's for render, PNG would be better. If necessary, you can use JPG for animation and then switch to PNG at render of course. Try just PNG first though...if it works, it may be more convenient since you won't have to switch.

In general, image sequences should stream well if they're not too large (meaning file size,) and they will always be frame accurate. You may need a decently fast network or store the image sequences locally.
RyanSurrey

Post by RyanSurrey »

Greenlaw wrote:Just a few thoughts. Not sure they apply but...

If your videos use compression, that could potentially drag down the system and affect frame accuracy, especially when scrubbing and stepping backwards. Video compression is CPU intensive.

You could place uncompressed videos. That may improve performance but, on the other hand, it might also gobble up all your RAM. I would give this a try and see what happens. Tip: If the videos don't need to be super high res (i.e., they appear smaller than the entire project dimensions,) re-render them with smaller dimensions. Slightly larger than the largest they will actually appear should be fine.

Alternatively, you can use PNG or JPG image sequences. For scrubbing, I like to use lower quality JPG for speed, but if it's for render, PNG would be better. If necessary, you can use JPG for animation and then switch to PNG at render of course. Try just PNG first though...if it works, it may be more convenient since you won't have to switch.

In general, image sequences should stream well if they're not too large (meaning file size,) and they will always be frame accurate. You may need a decently fast network or store the image sequences locally.
Can i export as gifs from moho? Cause the videos i use a animations that i export from moho.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

I'd be seriously tempted to think about using a compositor for this -- e.g. you have five videos (that you've exported from Moho) and you have a sixth moho file that is a dynamic framework with "holes" that move around / change shape etc etc to show some, all or none of the first five. So rather than doing the scale / rotate / translate / whatever of those five in moho, do it in a compositor along with the framework.

You have the option to export many layers separately - so if you need to interleave the videos with moho vector layers - you can export these separately and do the composting with (say) the five videos plus the output of four layer comps from the framework.

By all means import the videos - or even just critical frames - into moho for reference (but not export them!!), but I personally wouldn't try to use moho as a compositor..
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

Are you asking if you can export as GIFs from Moho and then import the GIFs back into Moho? I don't think so; I believe GIF is only supported for Export.

But even if you could, I'm not sure what you gain by using a GIF over using an image sequence or an uncompressed movie file. Animated GIF is a low-quality format and has many limitations. It's fine for small web avatars and internet memes, but that's about all it's intended for.
RyanSurrey

Post by RyanSurrey »

Then I should either import less-resolution videos or image sequence right?
Thank you for your help Dr. Greenlaw, Slowtiger, Hayasidist and JesJones29
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Sure.

But if you're using video, it may be important to use uncompressed video or a codec that supports whole frames like PNG or Motion JPEG. This will give you frame accuracy when scrubbing, which may or may not be important to your animation. If it's not that important, you might be able to get away with using a compressed codec. That's up to you and your project requirements of course.