Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Jedi

Re: Hardware for smooth work

Post by Jedi »

InfoCentral wrote:My suggestion:

Ryzen 1700X
Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
ASRock X370 Taichi

Memory, case, power supply, cpu cooling, to taste. More memory is better. Faster memory is better. Both increase cost. Budget accordingly.
Why would you suggest ryzen when other posters saying that moho does not benefit from multicore? I'm still confused guys.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Moho uses up to 4 cores to render, the Batch Renderer uses all available cores. During animation it's more important to have a good graphics card and lots of RAM.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I remember asking the developers about that.

This four core limit was imposed because, with a typical system a few years back, Moho's performance topped out at around four, and performance could even degrade if more were enabled because of limited resources (i.e., RAM, etc.) They were going to re-evaluate changing/removing the limit since personal computers are so much more powerful nowadays and many 'pro' users have 32GB of RAM or more. (I have about 40GB at work and my own computers at home have around 16GB-18GB, which is probably still a lot more than what the devs originally tested Moho with back then.)

Another animation program I work with has a Multithreading section in the render panel that lets me manually set how many threads the program should use. Then panel also offers an 'auto' mode for users who are not certain about how many threads to select.

I thnk something like that may eventually come to Moho in a future release. No guarantees of course, but worth keeping in mind if you plan to use the new computer for a very long time.
Fatih19

Post by Fatih19 »

What is the name of multithreaded animation software you were talking about? It"s certainly not adobe animate so what is it? Toon Boom?
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I was actually talking about the 3D animation programs we use at my workplace in that post, and I had sent the Moho developers an example of the UI at the time.

But since you asked about 2D programs, I think Toon Boom Harmony updated something in version 12 or 14? I recall it was painfully slow for our Croods rigs in Harmony 11 or so, and the poor performance was one of the reasons we switched to Moho at the time; but, much later, I needed to revisit some of our old Harmony Rigs for a scene, and I noticed that the performance was greatly improved. I suspect they improved the multithreading but it's possible some other optimization was in effect. I haven't had time to look further into the performance options in Harmony because nowadays we normally turn to Moho Pro for puppet rigging anyway. (We still use TB for FBF though.)
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon May 21, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Toon Boom Settings:

Number of Rendering Threads: Lets you specify the number of parallel processes during the soft-render process. A value of 1 disables the multi-threading process because it specifies that only one rendering thread will be used during the process. The maximum number of threads is 64. The recommended starting value is 2 threads per CPU core, meaning that if you are using a 2 Quad Core CPU, the preferences should initially be set to 16 threads.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group