GIF rendering bug ?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: GIF rendering bug ?

Post by Greenlaw »

GIF is really getting long in the tooth. One of these days, I'd like to see support for HEIC and/or APNG added.

HEIC is the format used in the new Apple phones. It has a tiny footprint like JPEG but is capable of 16 bits per channel, and like GIF it supports animation. The catch (for Windows users anyway) is that it doesn't work on Windows yet. Supposedly, Windows support is coming...eventually.

APNG is a variant of PNG developed by Mozilla that supports animation, and like PNG it supports 16-bits per channel and transparency. It's not an 'industry-recognized' format but many modern browsers support it now.

Either format looks much better than GIF and offers greater capabilities.

It's too soon for Moho to support HEIC unless they wish to make it a Mac-only feature. If anything, I think Moho could support APNG for Windows and Mac now.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That said...there are other features I'd much rather see developed for Moho first. :)
chucky

Post by chucky »

Yes I'm hoping apng gets the nod.
APple formats are not to be trusted. :mrgreen: ,I'm not buying their snake oil.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

It's not specifically an Apple format, but they are just about the only company currently using it.

My first encounter with HEIC came after I got the iPad Pro. I transferred some pics from the iPad to my Windows computer and found nothing I had could open the files. A little research later, I found there were several tools that converted HEIC to images to JPEG or PNG. That annoyed me at first, which sent me off to research exactly what these files were. After learning about it, now I can't wait to see it come to Windows--it has all the strengths of JPEG and PNG, supports HDR, plus animation.

It's all on MS now...my understanding is that Windows programs can't use it until Windows gets updated.

Until then, yeah, APNG sounds more likely to replace GIF for short animated clips.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Oh HEIC sounds pretty good then, I guess I just like the sensible sound of APNG.
I love the png format.
When I 'do' use mov , even then I chose PNG format.

IT's clean and complete ( exclusing hdr I guess) and it has an understandable acronym.
Although now I've actually looked up High Efficiency Image File , that makes sense too.
Dennis you have won me over, Bring on the HEIC, we SHOULD petition MS for it. 8)
EDIT: OK I'm back to preferring APNG as it is not bound by the same type of patenting voodoo.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Either format works for me. Well, once more programs start supporting them I mean. :)