Moho 12.4 Update

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

byron

Re: Moho 12.4 Update

Post by byron »

Tried updating on Mac OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks. Now Moho will not start. OSX just reports that "Moho quit unexpectedly". I've rebooted, Reinstalled 12.2 and updated to 12.4 again, and when that didn't work, also downloaded 12.4 from SmithMicro and installed from the pkg file. All with the same result. Just won't launch.

Anyone gotten 12.4 to launch on OSX 10.9.5? (For various reasons, I'm stuck on this version for the time being, and can't update to High Sierra yet.)
tut

Post by tut »

Can confirm. Same here on Mavericks 10.9.5.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Did you restart your computer after installation?
tut

Post by tut »

Yes here.
byron

Post by byron »

Yes, I restarted a few times.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

exile wrote:I much prefer the previous system of completely downloading the installation files.
Assuming the 'trial' version has also been updated, you can use that installer. If you already have a Moho activation on your computer, the trial should recognize it and let you install the latest full version. (Edit: I don't know for certain if the trial has been updated for 12.4 yet but it normally has the latest version. If it hasn't been updated to 12.4 yet, that's probably coming soon.)

Also, when the installer asks to remove the previous version, I always say no, just in case I need to regress. When the installer asks for a location directory, add the point number to the directory name (i.e., Moho 12.4 instead of the default Moho 12.) This way you can have multiple releases on the same computer without conflict.

If you want to write out Quicktime, be sure to enable x32...that's required for QT support in Moho. Add the '.4' to the directory name there too.

If you decide to add the native shortcut, you may as well add the '.4' to the name there too.

Finally, after the installation has completed, Moho will put generic 'Moho 12' shortcuts on the desktop. I like to rename these shortcuts with the point number ('Moho 12.4' for example) so there's no confusion about which version gets launched with these shortcuts. Also, I usually delete the x32 shortcut because it's not necessary to launch this version to write Quicktime files, the program just needs to be present for the x64 version to use it.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmartins

Post by jmartins »

byron wrote:Tried updating on Mac OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks. Now Moho will not start. OSX just reports that "Moho quit unexpectedly". I've rebooted, Reinstalled 12.2 and updated to 12.4 again, and when that didn't work, also downloaded 12.4 from SmithMicro and installed from the pkg file. All with the same result. Just won't launch.

Anyone gotten 12.4 to launch on OSX 10.9.5? (For various reasons, I'm stuck on this version for the time being, and can't update to High Sierra yet.)
Hey bryon,

I'm sorry to ear you'r ehaving troubles. Can you please try to clean install from this page:
http://my.smithmicro.com/moho-pro-12-trial.html

We don't have any Mavericks machine readily available in the office, so your feedback is very important.
João Martins
tut

Post by tut »

Same result here with clean install from link.
byron

Post by byron »

jmartins wrote:
byron wrote:Tried updating on Mac OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks. Now Moho will not start. OSX just reports that "Moho quit unexpectedly". I've rebooted, Reinstalled 12.2 and updated to 12.4 again, and when that didn't work, also downloaded 12.4 from SmithMicro and installed from the pkg file. All with the same result. Just won't launch.

Hey bryon,

I'm sorry to ear you'r ehaving troubles. Can you please try to clean install from this page:
http://my.smithmicro.com/moho-pro-12-trial.html

We don't have any Mavericks machine readily available in the office, so your feedback is very important.
OK, I installed the Trial version from the link you provided. That did not work either. I will attach the crash log to my open support ticket, case ID: 1436501
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

Question: do I need to uninstall 12.3 (it says "it's strongly recommended) and if so, should I deactivate my license first?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Telemacus wrote:Question: do I need to uninstall 12.3 (it says "it's strongly recommended) and if so, should I deactivate my license first?
No, just make sure you change the name of the new install folder(s) to 12.4 or something.
I think the activation will follow the update.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yeah, what Wes says. If you wish to keep multiple versions, see the post above for more details.
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

After Moho 12.4 update:

1 Import character from previous version.
2 import sound file (less than 10 seconds)
3 Window -> Switch selection
4 Go to switch layer
5 after about 2 keyframes using the switch selection window, it crashes. I've tried it 3 times.

Checked if the same thing happened in 12.3

- It crashes also!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Could it be the audio file? Just curious because we use audio and switch layers every day in Moho and haven't run into that kind of crash. If you can post the audio, somebody here can check it out for you.

It might not be the audio file (probably not) but just in case: FYI, I like to use uncompressed .aif or .wav. The files may be bigger but they will stream properly and be more frame accurate. Also, it saves the CPU from decompressing as it streams. The same generally holds true for images and video. Practically speaking, you should use what works best for you of course, but if the file is causing a crash, maybe a different format/setting will work better.

How about GPU acceleration? Does it crash when disabled? I mean in both places where you can switch it off. If so, maybe the cause is an outdated graphics driver. Or, maybe a corrupted image file?

Apart from that, I'm not sure what might cause that crash. Without any actual examples to try, all we can do is guess.

Hope you get it figured out. :(
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

Thanks DR.
Using the switch layers doesn't cause my program to crash either, it works fine.
What triggers the crash is when I activate Window -> Switch Selection and then choose the switch layers from that window (which, as you know, is a really comfy way of doing syp lynching).