Moho 12.4 Update

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Greenlaw

Re: Moho 12.4 Update

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, ok. I never use the Switch Selection window (reasons explained in an older thread*) but I'm trying it now and it seems to be working without crashing.

*(I"ll have to revisit this tool and see if the problems I had with it in the past are still present.)

FYI, I prefer to control my Switch Layers with an SBD. This way the keyframes stay with the Bones layer along with all the other animation. If you set frame 1 inside the Switch's Action to be Linear, and frame zero to Step, the SBD switches non-linearly in the Mainline, and this 'single layer' setup is a lot easier to align the rest of the character animation with the lipsync. (Well, for me, anyway. Of course, if you prefer to keyframe the Switches directly, enabling Timeline Visibility for each Switch lets you have all keyframes present along with the Bones keyframes. But this does take up more space in the Timeline, and the large Switch Select window itself adds to desktop clutter.) Naturally, you should have Copy Previous Key enabled so you don't have to keep switching Interpolation modes.

BTW, one thing I've been doing lately is adding non-rendering Note labels for all viseme mouth shapes...this helps me run through the lipsyncing process very quickly. It's kinda like having the visible text label from Switch Select, but right inside the Workspace. (I typically label only the viseme drawings in the switch; other 'expressive' shapes are usually obvious.) This is a little more effort to set up but I and the other artists I work with prefer it.

Another lipsynching trick I like is to Ctrl-Alt-Right Click over the character's mouth region (or any Switch region in the Workspace). This causes a list of switches to appear near where you clicked, which can be a fast way to select mouth shapes without moving away from the rig. However, if you have large 'invisible' shapes in front of the switch, it can block you from the clicking the drawing's 'hot spot'. (This is the why we stopped using this method, but Ctrl-Alt-Right Click is still useful in simpler character setups. I still use it for quick 'one-offs' where I don't need to build a full rig.)
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Telemacus

Post by Telemacus »

Wow, thanks DR for sharing your experience with Switch layers!
Really neat tricks (the note labels + Cntrl+Alt+right).
I'd recently seen Chad's tutorial on Lip Syncing with Switch Selector: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54kQVVuey1M&t=25s, but obviously there are other alternatives.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes, I can think of a few other methods I didn't even go into. All of the ones mentioned so far are probably the most commonly used though. :)

Not all methods work equally well for every character though. The best method is whatever is easiest and produces the right look for a given project.
troypicou

Post by troypicou »

Anyone having issues with onion skin not working with the update?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

troypicou wrote:Anyone having issues with onion skin not working with the update?
Works here. Do you have the "draw behind" option disabled?
troypicou

Post by troypicou »

synthsin75 wrote:
troypicou wrote:Anyone having issues with onion skin not working with the update?
Works here. Do you have the "draw behind" option disabled?
Thanks, I unchecked it and now it works. :D
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Works here. What problem are you seeing with it?

Try what Wes said. if the options are greyed out, make sure you enable it first by clicking the circle.

Also, when working with vectors, I often prefer to use Outlines Only. I find it easier to distinguish the past/future shapes this way. (Naturally, this is meaningless in a bitmap rig.)

Edit: just saw your post. Glad you got it figured out. :)
troypicou

Post by troypicou »

Thanks for the reply!
tut

Post by tut »

Any word on getting this update to work on Mac OSX 10.9.5? Very anxious to get some of these fixes in place. Thanks for any information.
João Miguel Real

Post by João Miguel Real »

HI,

im having the same problem with the update, Moho crashes every-time i update.....

Waiting on a solution here...
NicoGZ

Post by NicoGZ »

Hi. I'm sorry for repeating myself, but perhaps the guys from Smith Micro will be more likely to notice it here.

The darnest thing happened after i updated moho 12 to its last version. I had a rig working fine, but now the arm bending smart action does not work right. It gets deformed. Nothing that can't be solved by manually fixing the smart action, but the problem is I have to share the character with 3 coworkers that dont have the update, and here's what happens: the normal version of the rig doesn't deform like in my pc, but the version I manually fixed deforms in theirs. So we have to have 2 versions of the character, which will be a problem when we have to add any improvements, new hands, change an action, etc. Help!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That sounds really odd. How far apart are the versions of Moho? Is possible for you all to work with the same version?

If everybody is on some version of 12, it doesn't seem like there should be a problem unless the rig uses specific features not available in the earlier one (like, for example, group interpolation,) but maybe it will help. Between 12 and earlier releases Moho/ASP, compatibility problems will be more likely to occur.

Hope you get this figured out. :(
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NicoGZ

Post by NicoGZ »

Hello. We all use Moho 12. Mine is up to date with the fixes and patches, theirs is not. We work freelance so i cannot know why they cannot upgrade theirs (perhaps pirated versions, idk). It makes absolutely no sense, it's only the arms, both of them, that break. All other actions (legs, head turn, etc) work fine in my pc and theirs. So we thought "perhaps it has to do with how the arms were rigged" and erased the arm bones, erased the arm vector layers, erased all arm related smart actions. I built new bones, with new names, and created the arms again from zero. And... it still breaks. Same with my pc if they make new arms and give the rig to me.
exile

Post by exile »

NicoGZ wrote:Hello. We all use Moho 12. Mine is up to date with the fixes and patches, theirs is not. We work freelance so i cannot know why they cannot upgrade theirs (perhaps pirated versions, idk). It makes absolutely no sense, it's only the arms, both of them, that break. All other actions (legs, head turn, etc) work fine in my pc and theirs. So we thought "perhaps it has to do with how the arms were rigged" and erased the arm bones, erased the arm vector layers, erased all arm related smart actions. I built new bones, with new names, and created the arms again from zero. And... it still breaks. Same with my pc if they make new arms and give the rig to me.
You don't really expect Smith Micro to help if your partners are using pirated versions?
Steve

http://www.youtube.com/user/toonlyrics
Music Website: http://www.singadream.com
shift

Post by shift »

I am having this same issue. I have Moho 12.4 and onion skin is enabled but there is no shadowed image.