Smith Microand Moho

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

jahnocli

Re: Smith Microand Moho

Post by jahnocli »

Get a grip, banana boy -- you're everyone's favourite Aussie
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

jahnocli wrote:Get a grip, banana boy -- you're everyone's favourite Aussie
Well... Maybe our 2nd favorite Aussie. 2nd place isn't so bad Chucky

Adam
chucky

Post by chucky »

Gripping ,as tight as I can bear, John :wink:

ONJ LOL lest we forget
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

I rarely come in here, but have lurk many times, and try to contribute anything I see that could see be useful for the Moho community. I have supported those that promote the use of this software and educate other on how to use it. But it bothers me that one group flame the other for competing facebook recognition, and even more so when one admin go to other site to cause a stink for showing or using another program beside Moho, when it not even their group. The program itself has a bridge to 3D object and poser. So all this bickering about not being a Moho purist and whining about SmithMicro not letting you have it your way and threatening to take your crowd to another program is just hurting SmithMicro. I joined to learn about the various way of using the program, and didn't get counted to be a purist nor be swayed to go to another program because you think the company is folding. If you think the company is failing you need to ask yourself who is building that wall for the newcomer who more than likely has other skillset of using a different program? Nobody should be harass for combing Moho with something else. China was one of the most advance society and they build a wall and fell behind. There is a lesson there.

I joined a Latino Moho group! I don't speak Spanish, but they have a great community that is inclusive to anyone, and I'm embarrass for the Americans that waste time whining and bickering with each other over issues. If you want to be playing games to hurt each other is your business, but not when you guys are hurting the community with your silly outrage of not being a Moho purist. You both open your own facebook, and yet act the same way, and I was hoping one of you would be better than that and be more welcome to others. As for SmithMicro they just did an update of adding Keyframing tools, and they have a new model called Project Evolution, so Poser is alive and well. Moho 12 had a huge success of new feature that was beyond all the other update. As for MotionArtist, there is a higher rate of changes on the web designing technology, its almost becoming obsolete. Those that have a great facebook group are the one that are positive and laughing and let criticism roll off their shoulders like leaves falling to the ground.
DK

Post by DK »

Well....I don't even use Facebook?

D.K
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

Who's getting yelled at here?
Adam
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

What on earth does that have to do with animation or Moho?
And what does this forum have to do with any Facebooks groups?
chucky

Post by chucky »

HI ruscular, I hope you are well.
That was a bit of blast out of nowhere. Chinese wall? Mongol hoards?
Purists? We're all having a good time round here, there are a few nut jobs, sure on any forum...I 'personally' am of proud of my nutjob status.

We can say what we like ( within the guidelines) Smith Micro has a lot of tiers, we are talking about the level way beyond the graphics department. Executives who couldn't care less about what we talk about here.
I talk on a lot of facebook groups, but mostly share animation techniques of a wide variety ( within the confines of the particular group hopefully).
This is a Moho forum, right? I'm at the right place.... guys?
Oh no, I didn't post about animation software on the zombie survivalists forum again? I hate it when that happens.

So I don't really know what your post was reacting to ruscular, did you want to add something to this particular topic?
Hey, wouldn't it be great if Mho improved it's 3d capabilities?
It's certainly not the users who are holding that back or the people posting in this topic... what was this topic again?

Oh yes, Olivia Newton John... and zombies :mrgreen:
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

Adam
chucky

Post by chucky »

which reminds me.
I'm thinking of doing a tutorial on styles...
I think I'll call it.

Better Shape Up.
Ooh Ooh Ooh
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

Chucky you said it that the success of the software should go hand in and like Adobe with all their parts working together. So SmithMicro made poser to work with Moho, and yet 2 of the bickering admins and Tutorial expert like to bash and harass for using both of them together. They are the only 2 major facegroup admins and this forum contributor that does that. So how does the company going to be able to be like Adobe unifying their product when their biggest voices of the program discourage artist for implementing them together. McCoy tried to talk people out of the program about a year ago and another group broke off to split from him to promote Moho but also dissuade other option of the program to be complementing. If you want SmithMicro to link their software to work together, then there needs to be a market for that, and it is not going to happen if these guys push that idea away from each other. We would need more people to stand up and say we want more option and open to unify these programs to link and be complimentary. Show that there is a market for those who want that and not as purist as they may have led to believe. Most of the software company that end up building a wall around their product suffocate. If you are afraid that SmithMicro is dying and let that fear dictate who can be part of the forum. This place is an anchor, the root of the biggest center point for the program. I'm trying to plant a seed that I am interested in complimenting Moho with my other software and that its not the program but the artist that uses them. What is Ironic is that many in the poser community are missive that they are expanding their animation capability and getting flak for not staying with the stills. This is like a strange offshoot commercial for peanut butter and chocolate, but instead with 2d and 3d animation. Its ironic that SmithMicro has to deal with a market that have 2 group that wants to be segregated and the people in between get harass for being in between. I made this to show that you can mix the 2 together and still be a part of the SmithMicro team. Image
chucky

Post by chucky »

I think I get your point now.
Well, I think, on the positive side of this issue of integration/compatibility, there is a chance that many of the new dev's might well work for Moho and Poser ( this is a guess, only) if that is the case then there might be improvements on the horizon. Just how far away that horizon is might be the issue.

I 'personally' :wink: have never reached the horizon.

On the topic of poser, this is just an opinion btw, I think is a product that needs serious realignment.
Its current form seems to cater ( or pander) to a niche of voyeuristic pervs and it's place in the market is limited by it's lack of modelling and animation capabilities, coupled with it's distasteful marketing strategy aimed at the dirty overcoat crowd.
I think the marketing and content sold for poser is of the poorest taste and would be a huge turn off for the larger market.
That is what limits sales, undoubtedly.
They should reboot Poser with new face ( and underpants) plus actually useful capabilities first before they start bringing it closer Moho .
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

the problem with the dirty overcoat brigade isn't limited to poser - there was quite a heated discussion about "bringing the s/ware into disrepute" when an iClone user published and offered for sale "anatomically accurate" avatars - complete with a set of actions that would definitely not pass the "PG" test. It was a bit like blaming / flaming Final Draft for all the unpalatable screenwriting it was used to create... What, IMO, is the actual (all-pervading) issue is the absence of active Quality Control on content that is offered through the official channels - implying some form of endorsement of the (content.

I think Moho has got a lot of potential for closer integration with Poser - e.g. the internals of Moho already support full 3d meshes. And the idea behind MA is OK too - with a few tweaks to the playback UI that has the potential to rival Powerpoint (and before you ask, yes - such enhancements are already formally logged and requested). One issue here is, IMO, the lack of exploitation of the opportunities for integration of the SM animation tools in the same way that Reallusion has a pipeline from its (vastly superior) version of Moho's Character Wizard through to export. Which, as with Moho, recognises that creating the rendered animation is only part of the process that also includes artwork design and post-production (i.e. - keeping it simple - stuff like Photoshop and Premier).

IMO, it's fine to market Moho, Poser etc as stand-alones for hobbyists as that's a large market segment to target (and if some groups want to restrict themselves to standalone use that kinda speaks volumes about how they see themselves), but there is also an opportunity for SM to target serious studios by improving and exploiting integration with other tools - how many times in this forum have there been questions about getting Moho to work better with PS / AE / ... ??? -- and look how the "big boys" integrate Moho into their production pipeline.. (e.g. http://lostmarble.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 8&p=181393)

On a positive note I share the opinion that the Moho dev team might also be working on Poser - so that may be an indication that integration across the SM graphics products might be a cornerstone of a strategy. And SM has just (last night UK time) published its results for FY 2017. In summary, the losses are down to almost break-even (SM has been trading at a loss for many years) but on reduced turnover.
MT Newswires wrote:Smith Micro Reports Narrower Q4 Loss; Revenue Weakens -- Shares Drop After-Hours
04:45 PM EDT, 03/14/2018 (MT Newswires) -- Smith Micro Software (SMSI), a provider of software solutions, reported a narrower loss but lower revenue for Q4.
Non-GAAP net loss shrank to $0.05 loss per share, for the December quarter, from a non-GAAP net loss of $0.15 per share, for the year-earlier period.
Q4 revenue decreased to $5.7 million, from $7.1 million for the year-earlier period.
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

That example I posted was with the poser version prior to the latest update which has vastly improve their toon renders. So Poser has been improving up the toon renders which is matching better with Moho toon renders. Plus importing poser asset into Moho is looking better with each update. Lightwave3D have vastly improve their toon Cell Shader.