Rotate an image XY without it moving with the camera?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Welsh Jester

Rotate an image XY without it moving with the camera?

Post by Welsh Jester »

Anyone know if it's possible to rotate a layer XY to position it in a scene 3D style, but not for it to move along with the camera when panning etc? I ask only because Shear Layer doesn't give the same effect as Rotate Layer XY which is also much easier to use.
slowtiger

Re: Rotate an image XY without it moving with the camera?

Post by slowtiger »

Only a rotation around Z is not affected by camera moves. You can check "immune to camera movement" for any layer which is in top hierarchy (not inside any other layer).

I had that problem recently, my solution was to render that layer (rotated) without any camera move, then re-import it into the scene with the moving camera.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
chucky

Post by chucky »

I'm not sure if I understand the question , there are some handy point to camera layer options.

Also If you want a layer to be unaffected by camera movement, you CAN do that if it within another group, the workaround is to remove it from the group, set immune and then put it back in. Has worked for me in the past , but I don't think that's what you want.
Welsh Jester

Post by Welsh Jester »

chucky wrote:I'm not sure if I understand the question , there are some handy point to camera layer options.

Also If you want a layer to be unaffected by camera movement, you CAN do that if it within another group, the workaround is to remove it from the group, set immune and then put it back in. Has worked for me in the past , but I don't think that's what you want.
I want to rotate an image/layer and position it without the layer rotating along with the moving camera, so i do want it to move when panning etc with the track camera, just not in 3D. Shear Layer will do it, but it doesn't look the same as doing it with rotate xy.

Only solution i can see is what slowtiger suggested. Render the layer and then re-import it. It has to be enlarged when imported again as it imports smaller but it works, and i have to export it in a much higher resolution first, say 4k, otherwise it doesn't look so good when re-imported.
chucky

Post by chucky »

Simple, use the checkbox in the Layer Settings. Immune to Camera. It will then be locked to the camera, any animation you do will be independent.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Not that simple: my situation was that I used xy rotation to deform an object, which was in a scene with a panning camera. I wanted it to move with the pan, but not deform during that pan. Making it immune to camera preserves the distortion, but also nails the object in place ...

So my solution was to "bake" the distortion into a rendered file and re-import it, so it could move in the pan.

Welsh Jester

Post by Welsh Jester »

slowtiger wrote:Not that simple: my situation was that I used xy rotation to deform an object, which was in a scene with a panning camera. I wanted it to move with the pan, but not deform during that pan. Making it immune to camera preserves the distortion, but also nails the object in place ...

So my solution was to "bake" the distortion into a rendered file and re-import it, so it could move in the pan.
Yep, it's a good solution but not perfect because more distant images don't end up the same quality, that can be seen if zooming in more once re-imported. But that's just down to this being a work around and AS seems to max out at about 8K resolution for exporting.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I've made it a habit to produce all bitmaps imported into AS to be twice the size they'll be needed. This is good enough for my purposes. If a scene really asks for a zoom much closer than this, it will be a special setup anyway.

hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

here's a link to a thread that talks about baking point / layer motion:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=30520&p=173732&#p173732
that might help?
JJT

Post by JJT »

Also you can try putting the XY-turning layer in a group, and set the Z scale of that group to 0.01.
You loose a bit of perspective, but no camera troubles anymore!