About those cracks in strokes

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Welsh Jester

About those cracks in strokes

Post by Welsh Jester »

How do people usually deal with the lines/cracks you get along nodes in strokes? Do you leave them there or do something to hide them? They disappear by turning off Anti Aliasing.

Simple examples: https://ibb.co/mfpy7d https://ibb.co/b5ac0y
slowtiger

Re: About those cracks in strokes

Post by slowtiger »

My stroke size in relation to project size prevents these from being noticed. Really, this is no bug, it's a feature of all vector lines.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
chucky

Post by chucky »

round ends helps
Welsh Jester

Post by Welsh Jester »

slowtiger wrote:My stroke size in relation to project size prevents these from being noticed. Really, this is no bug, it's a feature of all vector lines.
Could you expand on that a little? Do you mean they are there, but just not really noticeable unless you go looking closely for them? I found that using another brush on the stroke like the water stroke makes them go away.
chucky wrote:round ends helps
I tried that but i can't say it made any difference to me, at least not with those examples.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's very curious. I've never noticed the issue before but then, I don't think I've ever had to render lines with strokes that wide either.

But this seems to go along with my feeling that Moho's antialiasing method could use improvements. I've sent in requests for better antialiasing methods and more user controls for AA quality, but you should definitely submit a request for improvements using this example.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I think this effect is somewhat unavoidable when your stroke width is extremely wide. When I work in this fashion in Illustrator I always have to adjust curves after making a stroke a filled shape.

Welsh Jester

Post by Welsh Jester »

Maybe it's just me but I'm seeing them (even if ever so slightly) even on rather thin strokes

One of a close up with stroke width of 4 https://ibb.co/hr8wiT

And one with a stroke width of 8 no zoom or anything https://ibb.co/gyuxq8

What shows also seems to depend on the camera position I've noticed, for some reason.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I don't see anything wrong with that circle. And with that other shape I just don't care. If it's in motion, nobody will see it anyway. I call this "optimizing the wrong parameter".

synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Yeah, stills and zooming in farther than you would in an animation aren't really things to worry about, since they won't read as problems once animated.
herbert123

Post by herbert123 »

If the anti-aliasing issues really bother you (no-one would ever be able to notice them unless zoomed in, not animated, and knowing what to look for), you could render your frames at double the required resolution and then reduce the frames by 50% with a good down-sampling algorithm such as Catmull-Rom.

Also, take into account that when you render out a video, the compression will probably make those tiny anti-aliasing consistencies a moot point anyway.

Slowtiger is correct: you might be looking for problems that aren't there. Or: "Turn a mouse into an Elephant".
ResvStar

Post by ResvStar »

herbert123 wrote:If the anti-aliasing issues really bother you (no-one would ever be able to notice them unless zoomed in, not animated, and knowing what to look for), you could render your frames at double the required resolution and then reduce the frames by 50% with a good down-sampling algorithm such as Catmull-Rom.

Also, take into account that when you render out a video, the compression will probably make those tiny anti-aliasing consistencies a moot point anyway.

Slowtiger is correct: you might be looking for problems that aren't there. Or: "Turn a mouse into an Elephant".
Hi all, first time posting on these forums! Moho does seem like it could use some help with rendering and Anti-Aliasing but I agree completely with Herbert here. The best results I have had so far is to render out an image sequence at 4K and assemble it in AfterEffects where you can size it down without to much trouble. I worry about the bitrate compression of the Moho render engine and this way you can completely avoid this issue too.