Audio question (44.1k vs 48k)

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

-Virtue-

Audio question (44.1k vs 48k)

Post by -Virtue- »

Hi,

Long time professional Anime Studio Pro user here. The company I work for has upgraded from 5.6 to 11 today (Yes I know, but if it aint broke, dont fix it etc etc), and opening and converting a file from 5.6 to 11 Ive noticed the audio render quality has dropped from 48.000khz in 5.6 to 44.100khz in 11, why is this?

I'm rendering out as a Photo-JPEG .MOV, the audio track is 48.000khz native.

This is obviously a great concern as the company I work for produces industry standard professional animations for DVD as well as web.

Thanks.
slowtiger

Re: Audio question (44.1k vs 48k)

Post by slowtiger »

If the company you work for would work with industry standard professional procedures, they'd never render final broadcasts from AS. Instead they'd render animation only and import it into a decent video editor, which is the place the sound gets added.

As for audio resolution, AS never had any way to set this value, version 11 included.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
-Virtue-

Post by -Virtue- »

may I add its a small company, and our practices are none of your concern.

What I am asking is why a 13 year old program can render out better audio quality than a 3 year old program.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

If memory serves, I believe we use to have problems with sample rates higher than 44.100khz. https://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewto ... 572#p15572
So maybe up-sampling was the culprit. There have also been changes since 5.6, like Quicktime no longer offering updates on Windows, that may have required migrating to an open source option for handling audio.

Either way, that small amount of down-sampling shouldn't appreciably effect audio quality. You may be straining at a gnat. And this has been so for quite some time:
viewtopic.php?p=91392
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

When mastering a professional DVD, wouldn't you need to provide a separate audio file anyway?

I've produced a few DVDs for personal demo reels, school and charity productions, etc., and I always had to deliver a separately mastered audio file for the final DVD master. Admittedly, my experience isn't really a professional DVD workflow, so just asking.
-Virtue-

Post by -Virtue- »

Greenlaw wrote:When mastering a professional DVD, wouldn't you need to provide a separate audio file anyway?

I've produced a few DVDs for personal demo reels, school and charity productions, etc., and I always had to deliver a separately mastered audio file for the final DVD master. Admittedly, my experience isn't really a professional DVD workflow, so just asking.

You make a good point, at the moment im working to web, and for some effects needed were going to have to go through after effects anyway.

I'm on the animation department, its the DVD authorers who deal with that side of things, They do indeed import separate audio for that medium.

Thank you for the replies.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

-Virtue- wrote:I'm on the animation department, its the DVD authorers who deal with that side of things, They do indeed import separate audio for that medium.

Thank you for the replies.
You were quite shirty with Slowtiger, but didn't he say exactly the same thing?
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?