Any rumblings of a date for Moho 13 yet?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Davir

Re: Any rumblings of a date for Moho 13 yet?

Post by Davir »

I would love to see if they did the head turn easy
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

Daxel wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:41 pm another day without showing any new feature... :cry:
Not sure if you're subscribed to the SM mailing list, but they sent out something today with a few gif teasers. I'm curious about the bitmap drawing tools. Would creating bitmap graphics lead to better overall performance? I find the program gets a little sluggish sometimes when I use some of the textured vector brushes... What are some of the advantages of creating bitmaps vs vectors?
Daxel

Post by Daxel »

alanthebox wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:40 pm
Daxel wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:41 pm another day without showing any new feature... :cry:
Not sure if you're subscribed to the SM mailing list, but they sent out something today with a few gif teasers. I'm curious about the bitmap drawing tools. Would creating bitmap graphics lead to better overall performance? I find the program gets a little sluggish sometimes when I use some of the textured vector brushes... What are some of the advantages of creating bitmaps vs vectors?
oh you are right! thank you! honestly I don't know why I would like to use bitmap tools... what do you think guys, are they useful for something?
rafael

Post by rafael »

Could be cool to have bitmap for some frame by frame stuff but if it was at the expense of Moho's excellent speed, I'd definitely pass on it. The ability to animate and preview everything in real-time, to me, is damn near the biggest reason to use Moho, aside from the rigging of course.
x-vishon

Post by x-vishon »

Bitmap tools a great for quickly painting in single frame smears or frame by frame effects like smoke or even adding in extra lines on your rig like speed-lines and stuff which can be used to make layer switches less visible or to do really fast head turns.
~ David McInnis
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

hayasidist wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:12 pm
hmmm ... just seen an announcement from SM about Poser being sold ...
Sounds like SM has started to divest themselves of the graphics division. I anticipate MOHO 13 being the last SM release. After recouping investment and profits I suspect it too will be finding a new owner.
Last edited by InfoCentral on Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
chucky

Post by chucky »

alanthebox wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:40 pm
I haven't seen the mailout, there's nothing on SM's website or social media about that.
Is there a link to the mailout, can you repost it?
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

I can see from the new Actions Panel video that the smart bones dials haven't changed. :(
chucky

Post by chucky »

alanthebox wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:31 am Does this work?

https://marketing.smithmicro.com/things ... i=73899018
OOohh! thanks alanthebox!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

alanthebox wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:40 pm...I'm curious about the bitmap drawing tools. Would creating bitmap graphics lead to better overall performance?
I would imagine that, for many people, drawing an element with bitmap painting can be a lot quicker than drawing them with Moho's vector tools, but currently (in Moho 12.5) it's a bit of a pain to have to jump out of Moho and switch to Photoshop (or whichever paint program you use,) and then import the bitmap back into Moho, only to discover that the art is the wrong scale or resolution, or doesn't align perfectly with other elements there.

More specifically, having paint tools inside Moho could make creating variations of mouths and hands for switch layers go a lot more quickly. For example, sometimes I don't want to spend a lot of time tweaking a lot of points in a group of multi-layered vector shapes to create a custom mouth or hand shape that may only be seen once. In this situation, I just want to draw that element quickly and and move on to the next thing. Personally, if the paint tools save me a lot of time in this situation alone, then it's a very big deal.

Note that, by the above comments, I don't mean to suggest working with bitmaps will be better than working with vector shapes. Choosing one over the other should depend on the requirements of a project.

Vector art will have many advantages over bitmap art in that vector shapes are resolution independent (fully scaleable without losing quality,) can be deformed precisely, and require a lot less RAM to process. By nature, vector artwork, can also look very clean and modern.

Bitmap art, on the other hand, is more suitable for getting textural 'hand-drawn' looks that are difficult-to-impossible to get with vector art alone. I also think painting with bitmap tools will be easier to grasp for beginning Moho artists. Beginners who already know how to use paint tools can start rigging and animating right away, and learn more about working with vectors later as they gradually discover the limitations of working with only bitmap images..

In a lot of the Moho work I'm involved in, a hybrid bitmap+vector approach offers the best of both worlds, and having bitmap tools inside Moho should streamline the process of building hybrid rigs. For example, the ASP/Moho rigs we built for later seasons of King Julien, Puss In Boots, and The Croods were bitmap/vector hybrids and these rigs were responsive and animated very smoothly.

As for better performance with bitmap images, bitmaps in Moho 13 are probably only going to be a fast as using bitmap images in Moho 12.5--which, IMO, is reasonably fast in most situations. Actual performance improvements with bitmap images will require improvements 'under-the-hood'. For that, I think we're going to have to wait an see.

I'm also super excited to see improvements to the Actions Window. Almost any of my rigs at work can have hundreds of actions and the described enhancements should make managing long lists of actions MUCH easier to deal with.

Hopefully, similar improvements will be coming for all of Moho's windows. For example, we can really use these kind of improvement for managing Styles and Bones too.

Anyway, looking forward to this release!
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

Hey, they released the demo today! That was unexpected! Again, it was an email marketing blast. I can paste the download links if needed, as it doesn't look like it's been added to the main SM Moho page.

Woohoo!
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

alanthebox wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:48 pm Hey, they released the demo today!
Are you saying you can download a trial version now?
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

InfoCentral wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:12 pm
alanthebox wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:48 pm Hey, they released the demo today!
Are you saying you can download a trial version now?
Yup! Does this link work for you?

Windows:
https://my.smithmicro.com/moho-13-trial ... i=73936768

Mac:
https://my.smithmicro.com/moho-13-trial ... i=73936768
chucky

Post by chucky »

Yes a surprise release, here's a couple of videos to clue you in on some of the bitmap features.

Enjoy!