Any rumblings of a date for Moho 13 yet?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

chucky

Re: Any rumblings of a date for Moho 13 yet?

Post by chucky »

I've done facial tracking in Moho and full body, like almost ten years ago.
I even did a clip for a band where I taped all the band members including the vocalists face.
I've posted about it many times.

The tracking system did need some improvement for faster motions as it tended to lose points that moved fast, plus a built-in channel reduction system

Neither of these would be at the top of my list though for V13.
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

It's been raining for 3 days here and I've been sitting at the window watching the rain run down the glass. Waiting for Moho 13 to arri....
...Sorry I thought I heard Moho 13 but it was just my neighbors coming home from grocery shopping.

Anyway, all I have to say is that if Moho 13 isn't out tomorrow I'm switching to Toon Boom. SWITCHING I SAY :!: :!: :!:

Either that or I'll cut the grass. I'LL CUT THE GRASS :shock: :!: :!: :!:
Adam
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

chucky wrote:I've done facial tracking in Moho and full body, like almost ten years ago.
I even did a clip for a band where I taped all the band members including the vocalists face.
I've posted about it many times.

The tracking system did need some improvement for faster motions as it tended to lose points that moved fast, plus a built-in channel reduction system

Neither of these would be at the top of my list though for V13.
Yes I saw that many time, what I am asking for is MULTIPLE tracking, not just single tracking. With newer faster CPU and GPU, I think its time to update those feature. With multiple tracking the facial tracking would speed up and also do some more compositing tool within Moho. As it is, MOHO can be a pretty good compositor that I find myself using it more then after effect.

I know that you can do facial tracking, but just because you can do it doesn't mean that its the best way of doing it, as it is very tedious, that hand on method is more efficient, when you are dealing with a more complex character.

As for losing the tracking I make a triangle marker oppose to a dot. and zero in on the tip of the point
chucky

Post by chucky »

@ ruscular
Wow . it's that long ago I must have forgotten that I had to do that.
I do remember having to do a lot of stuff in reverse to protect keys, that took a long time.
I'd love to see better performance based features too.
With smart rigs you could get some amazing results, I'm sure ( and some horrible stuff- no doubt :wink: )
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

@Chucky I recently acquired a saitek joy stick, and been using it for shortcut keys for animation. Has anyone use it creatively with a joystick in other ways? I was thinking if there is a way to use the twist throttle for opening mouth.
jahnocli

Post by jahnocli »

ruscular3d wrote:...I was thinking if there is a way to use the twist throttle for opening mouth.
I think you may be referring to the dark web...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

jahnocli wrote:
ruscular3d wrote:...I was thinking if there is a way to use the twist throttle for opening mouth.
I think you may be referring to the dark web...
Nah, I'm sure it's just historical curiosity...Pear of Anguish.
chucky

Post by chucky »

People have done that kind of stuff. I don't think you can get much of a performance out of it though, so I don't see the advantage of just up and down at different speeds.
I think performance requires expression with the coordinated nuance of interacting parts rather than a single analog input.
We're talking about motion tracking, right?
ruscular3d

Post by ruscular3d »

chucky wrote:People have done that kind of stuff. I don't think you can get much of a performance out of it though, so I don't see the advantage of just up and down at different speeds.
I think performance requires expression with the coordinated nuance of interacting parts rather than a single analog input.
We're talking about motion tracking, right?
I used to work with ventriloquist dummy and marionette, and I think I could do that with recording motion with a flight stick. That the set up in lightwave3D
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

The graphics downsizing continues with the closure of Content Paradise but all is well. :roll:
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
EHEBrandon

Post by EHEBrandon »

Any news yet? I swear its been a century. I've been really holding the gun from not trying out Toon Boom but I love Moho so much more. I hope we at least get version 13 by November. I mean read the financial thing and talked to one of the developers. All I know its supposed to be out this year however this year is almost over and this silence is quite intense like even more intense then No Mans Sky when Sean Murray went into hiding for three months before the first patch.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

If you're not hearing anything now, it probably means the software is not ready to talk about. Based on my experience with many software developers, the public is not going to hear anything until the product is almost ready for release. There are sound business reasons developers shouldn't and won't talk about their product before it's ready. When they break this rule, 'fans' and competitors usually make them regret it. So don't worry. We already know they're working on Moho Pro 13 (or whatever they decide to call it,) and when it's ready, I'm sure we'll all hear about it.

Re: "...holding the gun from not trying out Toon Boom..." What's holding you back? Nobody says you can't also use other software. :)

At my workplace, we use Harmony as well as Moho, and I think they're both pretty good programs for what they do. However, Harmony is a very different program from Moho, with different strengths and weaknesses. In a nutshell: Harmony's strength is its frame by frame and nodal compositing system, but its puppet animation system is just ok. Unlike Moho, there's no real ik/target system in Harmony, and nothing quite like Moho's Smart Actions or Smart Meshes. Moho's strength is its powerful rigging system and Smart Actions. Moho is also fast for animating many rigged characters in a single project; its current weaknesses is the freehand tools and FBF system.

That being the case, I find the two programs can work well with each other. Earlier this year I used Harmony and Moho together for a scene where my Moho rig couldn't do everything required in the scene, so I drew that 'difficult' range of frames as FBF in Harmony and merged the two animations together. And there have been times when I used Harmony to make brief animations for water fx or animated image sequences for switch layers in Moho.

If, for some reason, you're restricted to using only one program, here's what I think: if you prefer to animate with puppet rigs, stay with Moho; if you prefer to animate FBF, definitely look at another program. There are actually several great FBF programs to choose from. But for puppet animation, Moho is actually quite strong compared to, well, pretty much everything.

(FYI, we use Adobe Animate and After Effects too. Like Moho and Harmony, these programs have their unique merits, so the more tools you can learn and have access to, the better.)
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

Greenlaw wrote:If you're not hearing anything now, it probably means the software is not ready to talk about.
Have to agree with Greenlaw on this one. If there was any positive news about Moho 13 I think we would have heard about it by now.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

InfoCentral wrote:
Greenlaw wrote:If you're not hearing anything now, it probably means the software is not ready to talk about.
Have to agree with Greenlaw on this one. If there was any positive news about Moho 13 I think we would have heard about it by now.
I don't know why you're so antsy. You likely won't like the price and won't be an early adopter of Moho 13:
InfoCentral wrote:Staying with 11 until everything gets ironed out with 12.
InfoCentral wrote:Sorry to see the high price hike on AS but like you said, plenty of FREE alternatives to keep you busy...
InfoCentral

Post by InfoCentral »

synthsin75 wrote:I don't know why you're so antsy. You likely won't like the price and won't be an early adopter of Moho 13
That be very true. I will wait for the deals down the line and let the early adopters pay the development costs first. OTOH, the sooner it gets released the sooner that down the line arrives. :wink:

BTW, I paid $120 for my upgrade. Not a bad deal.

As a final thought, I find it hard to characterize someone patiently waiting 3 years for a release as being "antsy."