imported character does not fit in 3D scene & camera move

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Marbelous

imported character does not fit in 3D scene & camera move

Post by Marbelous »

Hello,

I have the "moho start scene" with Bessie Coleman on the airport. Now I added William by Oguzhan Gunduz, and during the camera move that is in the Bessie-Coleman-Scene William is not standing in his place like Bessie, he is like sticking on the view port and flying in the air while the ground underneath him is moving.

I know this happening in AfterEffects when a 2D layer is put into a scene with 3D layers and camera, but I thought Moho does not have such a 3D-switch. Arent they "3D-layers" by default?
How can I make William also acting like a 3D-layer and standing really INSIDE the scene?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: imported character does not fit in 3D scene & camera mov

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Marbelous wrote:Hello,

I have the "moho start scene" with Bessie Coleman on the airport. Now I added William by Oguzhan Gunduz, and during the camera move that is in the Bessie-Coleman-Scene William is not standing in his place like Bessie, he is like sticking on the view port and flying in the air while the ground underneath him is moving.

I know this happening in AfterEffects when a 2D layer is put into a scene with 3D layers and camera, but I thought Moho does not have such a 3D-switch. Arent they "3D-layers" by default?
How can I make William also acting like a 3D-layer and standing really INSIDE the scene?
Every layer in Moho has a Z position. You don't need to activate the way you do in After Effects. Just modify the Z value using the Transform layer tool (or hold Alt while dragging the mouse).
Also, you can navigate the 3D workspace using the Orbit tool.
Oh, and if I remember well, I think Bessie also has an option activated to always face the camera (you can check in the bone layer proprieties).
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

William is set Immune to Camera in its main layer settings.
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

synthsin75 wrote:William is set Immune to Camera in its main layer settings.
Haha! That's a better explanation. Thanks, Wes :)
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
Marbelous

Post by Marbelous »

I guess this was a joke, but he`s really not reacting to the camera.
I entered Bessies Z-value for him (in the text field, it didn`t work with alt and mouse (what exactly do I need to click? Im very sorry :oops: ).
I used the orb tool, Bessie is down on the ground on her airport, William is still right in front of the view port. And I can`t find any settings for this.
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Marbelous wrote:
I guess this was a joke, but he`s really not reacting to the camera.
No joke. Check the layer settings for his bone layer, general tab.
Marbelous

Post by Marbelous »

I wanted to reply "it is greyed out"...but I found this topic:
http://74.50.25.136/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23696

So when I put it on the top I could uncheck it.

Thank you for your help!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Yes, top layer only. In general, you would drop everything you wish to be 'immune from camera' inside a Group layer. and then enable 'Immune To Camera' for the whole group. This is essentially the same as adding a 3D camera to a project in AE but disabling 3D for the layer. What's different is that Moho always has an active 3D camera.

Re: Moho's camera: I think Moho's camera is pretty good for most situations where the motion is fairly simple. You'll probably want to use the Orbit tool to see what it's actually doing in the project. Sometimes it helps to set the display into 2 or more views, with one view always set to the camera's POV and one in Orbit view.

When I need more complex camera choreography, I prefer to use Moho's Layer Comps to break out a project for After Effects, and use AE's camera instead. Animating the camera in AE can be easier because you can set up a hierarchy of nulls and targets for the camera, where Moho only allows you to animate the camera directly. Alternatively, I may use Fusion this way with Moho renders. When I need something even more complex, I might import the Moho rendered elements into an actual 3D program.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marbelous

Post by Marbelous »

Thank you very much for your help!
Combining AE with Moho sounds very interesting, i will definitely try that in the future...