Using a WACOM Tablet with Animw Studio 10...

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Hauksbee01

Using a WACOM Tablet with Animw Studio 10...

Post by Hauksbee01 »

If I launch AS10, and plug in my WACOM Tablet, can I draw vector objects just as I would in Photoshop?
Hauksbee01

Re: Using a WACOM Tablet with Animw Studio 10...

Post by Hauksbee01 »

Just tried it. the answer is 'yes'.
Greenlaw

Re: Using a WACOM Tablet with Animw Studio 10...

Post by Greenlaw »

Hauksbee01 wrote:If I launch AS10, and plug in my WACOM Tablet, can I draw vector objects just as I would in Photoshop?
This is just my opinion but...yes...-ish. Using a stylus to draw with the Freehand tool in Moho works but I find it frustrating and unreliable to get the desired results. The Blob Brush is not too bad but it has some issues too.

How well these tools work for you with a stylus might depend on your drawing style. I find them somewhat useful for sketching non-deforming backgrounds and props. For deforming character art, the 'point-by-point' method with Add Points, Transform and Magnet will give you more accurate results. These tools work well with a stylus but of course, you're not really 'drawing' with them in a traditional sense.

For FBF, I think Freehand and Blob with a stylus is okay if I draw very carefully, and if the animation isn't too complex. I use it occasionally for animating water splashes and other 'fluid' fx. I used it for some character stuff early this year. The result was fine but I spent way too much time fixing drawing errors to make it worth the hassle. Since that time, I'll turn to another program for the FBF unless it's something simple I can draw quickly in Moho.

If you're not too hung up on drawing vectors with a stylus, by all means use a Wacom tablet to paint artwork for Moho in a paint program like Photoshop or Krita. This combo works great.

So, is a Wacom useful at all in Moho? Sometimes I do find a stylus preferable to using a mouse because it's much easier to navigate Moho's UI and to manipulate points with a Stylus. For example, if you use Copy/Paste layer, you need to move the mouse all the way across the screen from the Layers Panel to select the command from the Edit menu, and then mouse all the way back again, which can get tedious with a mouse but it's no big deal when using a Stylus. There are other situations like that in Moho where a stylus is more efficient to work with, so something to think about.

FWIW, the devs have hinted that they will focus on improving freehand drawing in the future. When that happens, a tablet should be even more useful in Moho.