Applying Bones After Smart Bone

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

tosiyori

Applying Bones After Smart Bone

Post by tosiyori »

i have a character that does a head turn using smart bones. Now I want to add bones to the character for animation. I can add bones to all of the character except the head and perform animation, if i add a bone to the head & bind it to the head then manipulate bones the entire head moves not side to side. i have studied the tutorials & try follow them, I cannot get the head to move side to side & turn. I can make the head turn both left & right & the body manipulate OK, just not the head.
Greenlaw

Re: Applying Bones After Smart Bone

Post by Greenlaw »

Check the 'controller' keyframes in the Smart Bone's actions.

Make sure they're not the same keyframes at the beginning and end, or a missing or unintended key in there.

If the keyframes look good in the Smart Bone, try deleting them and rekeying. For example, I usually keyframe 1 and the last keyframe, and sometimes the key at 1 can get corrupted, and the can make the SBD stop working. (This seems to happen if I reparent the SBD, probably because the orientation has changed and become invalid.)
tosiyori

Post by tosiyori »

Start Keyframe 1, End Keyframe 120, I also selected : "Rescale Entire Document" Still the same problem, the head will turn in the "smart bone", the head will move side to side in "Mainline" I can't get both to action for animation ??? I have an email to Smith micro including an attachment, hope SM can lend a hand !
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Hm. Off the top of my head, I can think of two things:

1. You probably checked this but make sure there are no frames on the elements in the Mainline. I'm not on Moho right now but I'm almost sure that such keyframes on the mainline will override the SBD.

2. If that's not the case, could it be that two SBD actions are conflicting with each other?

It could be easier to troubleshoot if you post the project. No need to post the full project and you can replace the artwork with just squares if you like.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tosiyori

Post by tosiyori »

I'm not able to attach the animation. Can you give me a quick example how to do an attachment ?
tosiyori

Post by tosiyori »

I have found that the character bones & Binding must be accomplished first. Then the "Smart Bones" The Timeline must be on 1 before any animation can be accomplished. I have another problem, when I complete the smart bone to the left, how do I do the right smart bone ?
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

tosiyori wrote:I have another problem, when I complete the smart bone to the left, how do I do the right smart bone ?

Are you asking how do you recreate the action for the other side? Or how do you set up the bone to function that way? If it's the setup, there's a tick box when you create the dial to separate the actions:

Alternatively, I think you could just select the bone and add another action to it.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

tosiyori wrote:how do I do the right smart bone ?
With the SBD selected, create a new Action. You will see the second action appear with the same name as the first action but with a '2' added. For example, if your SBD's original action is called 'Turn', the second action will be named 'Turn 2'. Now you can rotate the SBD in the opposite direction and set up the new animation.

Note that Moho always enters the action's name automatically, so ideally you should name your bones before creating the actions.
tosiyori

Post by tosiyori »

Thanks allot for your help, I now have my character moving with bones as well with Smart Bones. One thing you I noticed, the timeline must be off "0" for the "Manipulate Bones Tool to work.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Manipulate Bones should work on 0 and later frames. MB is mainly used for IK but it can also move a root bone or freestanding bone (not parented and without child,) like a Target bone for example. If you hold down Alt, you can use it for FK rotation on any single bone in a chain.

For any other type of bone manipulation, you need to switch to Transform Bone. Note that Transform Bone does not work with IK. (Unless you're moving a Target bone with it of course.)