Bones don't move

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

manberzil

Bones don't move

Post by manberzil »

Hi, I am rigging a character and the manipulate bones tool is working just on frame 0.
On any other frame it moves just the root and target bones
The transform bones tool is ok.
I tried to reset all bones and layers but it is still not working
Greenlaw

Re: Bones don't move

Post by Greenlaw »

Manipulate Bone is a specialized tool, so be sure you're using it correctly.

Manipulate Bone is generally meant to adjust IK, so it should be used on a child bone or a target bone. If you use it on any child bone, it will animate the chain down the root bone. (Or sooner if you use 'Ignored By IK' anywhere in the chain.) If you use it on a Target bone, the tool will move the bone, and the chain that's pointing to the Target will animate with IK. Manipulate bone will move a root bone but not rotate it. If you hold down Alt, Manipulate bones works in FK mode and rotates any bone while ignoring IK...assuming, of course, the bone is not part of a chain pointing to a Target bone. This last bit might be what's causing the issue your seeing. If so, you need to first disable the Target.

For anything else, you should be using Transform Bone. Transform Bone can move, rotate and scale any bone. You can use it to animate multiple bones at once but it ignores IK. (Unless, of course, you're using it on a Target Bone, in which case it's the Target bone driving the IK and not the Transform Bone tool.)

Hope this helps. If I just made things more confusing, let me know and I'll explain with examples later. :)
manberzil

Post by manberzil »

I understand.
I used the manipulate tool to make changes in the poses and the transform tool to scale the layers.
Therefore the transform tool is also not working at all but I can not see what is wrong with the rig

At frame 0 any bone moves

At frame 1 just the root bone an the targets move

A previous version of this rig worked fine at any frame
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Maybe you have too many bones keyed in one or more of your actions.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ok. My next thought is that you may have unintended keyframes in one or more of your Smart Bone Dial Actions.

Open each SBD action and check that the skeleton's bones done have keyframes that may be 'locking' their rotation. You should be able to tell because the skeleton's bones will become highlighted in the action.

Edit: (Whoops! Wes, beat me to it, that sneaky guy.) :)
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
manberzil

Post by manberzil »

Thank you for your fast replies!
I must have screwed things up when I tried to use the smart bones from the previous rig and modified all the rest

Thanks again
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

It's really easy to keyframe the entire rig in an action by mistake. I still do that from time to time. D'oh!
Last edited by Greenlaw on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Very cute character, btw. :)