Youtube settings

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

AnimationNoob

Youtube settings

Post by AnimationNoob »

Hey, what are the best size settings on moho for youtube videos?
drumlug13

Re: Youtube settings

Post by drumlug13 »

You mentioned in your other post that you were using the Debut version. Maximum frame size for you would be 900 x 900

If you want to work in the smaller version of HDTV 1280 x 720, it looks like you should try 900 Wide and 506 Height.
Adam
AnimationNoob

Post by AnimationNoob »

Ok, thank you:)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

If you want to stick with standard DV settings, use 852 x 480. In Debut, the preset in Project Settings is called 480p Widescreen.

900 x 506 may be proportionately correct but it's not a typical screen resolution. If you upload a movie with this size to YouTube, it's probably going to get down-sampled to 852 x 480 anyway, which might result in a slightly softer video and perhaps even some artifacting. But to be sure, I would upload a short test animation and see what happens.

Personally I would stick with industry standard formats, especially when I'm working in multiple production programs (i.e., video editor, compositing, etc.) Some video containers/codecs won't even accept non-standard resolutions.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

However...

If your intention is to upscale the video to HD res, the closer you are to 1280 x 720 is better.

The result is going to be a little soft for an HD video, but it might be slightly better than what you get by upscaling from 852 x 480.

Hope I didn't just confuse everything. :)

To me, if I was going straight to YouTube with the output, the 'safe' thing is to stay with Debut's 480p Widescreen preset.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ok, I'm going to muddy the waters even more now. :)

Sometimes I like to add fake camera motions in post, like for a handheld look or shaking from bumps and explosions. This can be done to any pre-rendered footage in a compositing program or video editor. The catch is, the trick requires you to scale up the image slightly, which can result in a slightly softer picture. To prevent the softening, you need render the footage at a higher resolution so you can have enough bleed around the image to add the fake camera motions.

So...in this case, I would render from Debut at 900 x 506. But my final output of the finished movie from the compositing or editing program--and for YouTube--would still be 852 x 480 (480p Widescreen).
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Oh, I just thought of something else: In Moho Pro, when rendering at the full maximum resolution, there's a potential render error that may occur when certain Style effects have been applied--like Shaded, I think--and the artwork breaks the edge of the render. I haven't tested for this personally but it was reported in another thread a few months ago. It's possible the same error happens in Debut but at Debut's maximum resolution. Just something to think about.