New Moho training

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Pesto

New Moho training

Post by Pesto »

I have been learning some AE from this website and they came out, not too long ago, with Moho training. Has anyone purchased this? It looks amazing!

https://motiondesign.school/products/rigging-with-moho
InfoCentral

Re: New Moho training

Post by InfoCentral »

2 hr course for $150 seems a little steep to me.
MEETUP.COM - start or join a group
drumlug13

Post by drumlug13 »

I started learning and using Moho 8 or 9 years ago and I have yet to see a paid course that I would say is worth more than what you can learn for free from the manual, this forum, and the sponsored (or independent) tutorials on YouTube. Save your money for that eventual Moho 13 upgrade.
Adam
Designspaceman

Post by Designspaceman »

The animations from this animator are stunnig. But I have doubts concerning the length of this course. A complex 2.5D rig in two hours... Don't believe this goes deep enough...
The Spaceman
macmonkey_1975

Post by macmonkey_1975 »

I preordered the course for £75 which I think is a fair price. I would probably have thought twice at £150. The tutor definitely knows his stuff, the artwork and the animations are beautiful and he obviously has a lot of experience creating rigs and animating in Moho. I found it super informative and it was great to see the techniques that professionals employ when using Moho in a fast paced production environment. For me just the section on importing assets from illustrator into Moho with layers and positioning in tact was worth the admission fee alone. I also found the format really handy, it’s a whole series of short movie clips categorised into sections so it’s really easy to find exactly what you are looking for.

I would say it’s probably not a beginners course. There’s not much hand holding or explaining the principles being used. You are watching him build the rigs and animating, and he is really just giving a commentary of exactly what he’s doing e.g move points, flexi-bind, add dynamics etc.

Although it’s only two hours running time, he does rattle through it all at quite a brisk pace. In the hands of another tutor it would probably run to around 3-4 hrs. Which was fine with me as I tend to play most tutorials at double speed whereas this one might benefit from being played at half speed :) so don’t worry there is plenty of content.

One thing to note is that English isn’t the tutors first language and sometimes his accent is a little difficult to understand and he does keep calling the arms hands :) but most of the time it’s all good, and it didn’t effect my understanding of the content

At £75 I am very pleased with my purchase, at £150 if you are a hobbyist you can definitely get the vast majority of the information that is in here from various other youtube videos that will explain the techniques in much more detail. But if you kinda know your way around Moho and you are looking to use this in a production environment and want to see how the professionals use Moho... and you have some budget to allocate to training, it is very handy to have all the information to hand all in one place and I think you would find this a very worth while purchase. The tutor is also very active in the comments section if you do have any questions.

I hope this helps.
Dave
macmonkey_1975

Post by macmonkey_1975 »

Designspaceman wrote:The animations from this animator are stunnig. But I have doubts concerning the length of this course. A complex 2.5D rig in two hours... Don't believe this goes deep enough...
The Spaceman
Hey there,
They are definitely not a super complex 2.5d rigs, but they are as complicated as they need to be to get the animations shown. The 2.5d rigs are mainly for head turns, so we all know the drill shift bits to the left animate the layer order etc etc. Then rinse and repeat for the other side. There is a 2.5d body turn too but that is super simple. If you are looking specifically for 2.5d rigging tutorials. Check out Troy Picou’s youtube channel he has some very nice work and it’s free :)
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

macmonkey_1975 wrote:...Check out Troy Picou’s youtube channel he has some very nice work and it’s free :)
I agree, Troy's stuff is fantastic! Very informative and nice designs too.
Ahayut

Post by Ahayut »

Hey,
I would say it really depends on your knowledge. The character in the course is extremely simple which can be misleading. I was hoping for more in depth look at Moho and tackling more advanced rigging issues such as face expressions, conflicting actions etc- but for the price (75$) you can't really expect that.
The course appears to be designed more for simpler (yet very well excuted and designed) mograph style character animation than proper cartoon animation, but def gives great tools.
There're some invaluable tricks and short-cut which, as mentioned here before, worth the money alone (importing Illustrtor file in layers, OMG :)).
He runs pretty quick through the material, I think I would have to see and practice a lot, and probably watch a few additional external tutorials as well to get the hang of what he is talking about if this was my first encounter with Moho.
On one hand this probably the best structured course I could find online, on the other hand I think going through the great video tutorials of Troy and Victor Paredes, and few of the older yet amazing Micro Smith webinars is something you will probably need to go through anyway, if you haven't already.
Long story short, I think it's def worth the money but expect doing way more research and practice to have a proper grasp of Moho- I've finished it and I still don't :)

Hope this helps.
Pesto

Post by Pesto »

Well they are running a sale on the course so you can get it for $15 US. I picked it up and I am very disappointed. I guess if you are an expert and know exactly what he is clicking and all the shortcuts (that he doesn't always have on the screen) then you are fine. I haven't even gotten through all of section 2 yet and I feel like giving up. There are also a lot of frustrated people in the forum section for this class. It's too bad, the people at MDS produce some really impressive stuff and I would gladly buy more classes but this one is not what I expected. For the price they normally charge, there should be an abundance of explanations. To put it simply, it's like you are over the shoulder of an experienced user of Moho, watching them work, and every now and then they tell you what they are doing.
jlgroff

Post by jlgroff »

I just got this course. I like that he moves fast - especially over the basic, beginning material. One question I have is using the illustrator script to export artwork with layers intact. I use Affinity Designer - is there a similar way to export svg with layers intact into moho? I don't think Affinity Designer supports scripts.
barrysampson

Post by barrysampson »

jlgroff wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:27 pm I just got this course. I like that he moves fast - especially over the basic, beginning material. One question I have is using the illustrator script to export artwork with layers intact. I use Affinity Designer - is there a similar way to export svg with layers intact into moho? I don't think Affinity Designer supports scripts.
If what you want to do is export Affinity Designer layers as separate SVG files you should be able to do that through the export persona. In that persona, select all the layers that you want to include and click on Create Slice. In the export options select SVG - there are four different presets, so you may need to experiment to see which works best with Moho. On the Slices tab select everything you want to export and click Export Slices.
Barry

Using Moho 12.5/13.5 on Windows 10 (3.0Ghz i9, RTX 2070ti, 64gb) and MacOS Big Sur (2.3Ghz i9, Radeon Pro 5500M, 64gb)