PalD1/DVWidescreen (1050x576)

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

zoesan

PalD1/DVWidescreen (1050x576)

Post by zoesan »

Wasn't sure where to place this post.
I have used this from the setup menu for output, I'm not sure that it actually creates a DV/Pal output file, the reason being I used an online metadata service (free) to read the output file, no mention of DV/Pal: the size, H264, Quicktime etc yes.

Any comments, my grasp of final outputs isn't great, a request might be made from a submission I've made for DV Pal widescreen anamorphic. If the film is not 4x3 or 16x9, letterboxing or pillarboxing would be acceptable.

From what I've researched getting the required result can be problematic, a course of action could well be to engage with the people making the request for direction, but thought this could be a thread should the same request have been made to forum members in the past.

Currently using an online conversation site (free) for conversion to DV, I doubt if I will be able to read it once converted any ways (currently 30+ minutes) slow internet, file size has jumped from 6 mB to 150.0 mB
Greenlaw

Re: PalD1/DVWidescreen (1050x576)

Post by Greenlaw »

DV-Pal is a codec. Like H264, it's not lossless. Here are some specs for DV-Pal:

Framerate: 25 fps

Resolution:
4:3 768x576 (square pixels)
16:9 1024x576 (square pixels)

There are other resolutions if you're using non-square pixels (i.e., anomorphic widescreen.)

DV-Pal is much lower res than FHD or even HD.

For distribution, you probably want to use H264 for higher resolutions, better compression, and universal playback. If your final output file needs to be very specific, I suggest outputting an image sequence from Moho and compiling the frames in a capable video editor to the desired video format.
zoesan

Post by zoesan »

Thanks Greenlaw, I've been trying out the DV codecs in Blender, done so many trails can't reply as to exactly which one worked, one did, although the use of DV produced a lot of white ghosting around text, that could be in the use of my palette colors, worked out by putting the file back in iMovie and adjusting.

You mention image sequence, that's a topic I'd like to take up, first I'm going to make some comparison trials but, if you output as image sequence from Moho, and then import into say blender, you still have to output once agiain in a codec like H264 doesn't that defeat the issue, it eliminates one step from the process. forward and sideways.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Moho's output settings are very limited compared to what you have in a full-featured video editor. It's okay, I guess, if you're not too particular about the settings. I'm not familiar with Blender's output options but it's probably more capable.

In general, I avoid outputting movie files from any of animation programs I use, 2D or 3D. IMO, it's better to offer more resources to the program for cpu intensive tasks like, well, animation. :)

Also, when you output to image sequence, you have more flexibility when it comes to re-rendering segments of a scene or picking up where the software left off in case there was a crash.

For me, I output to image sequence because I tend to composite all my work in a program like Fusion or After Effects, where it's preferable to work with frames. (Moho's Layer Comp window and Moho Exporter is designed for this purpose.) From the compositing program, I'll usually output to video using a lossless codec, like MagicYUV, for editing (I use Vegas Pro 16 at home.) Then, from the editor, I may use H264 if the movie just going to a streaming website (i.e., Vimeo or YouTube.)

Not that there's anything wrong with rendering a movie directly from the animation program, but rendering to image sequence is a common industry practice. It's what I've done at every studio where I've worked.

That said, I don't know what your hardware/software setup is nor the final specs for your project, and you should do what works best for you.