Mask shapes canceling each other out when overlapped...

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

rafael

Mask shapes canceling each other out when overlapped...

Post by rafael »

I have two layers in a group. Bottom layer has multiple shapes in it that I want to use to mask the layer above it. It works as expected except where the shapes in the mask overlap. How do I fix this?
Greenlaw

Re: Mask shapes canceling each other out when overlapped...

Post by Greenlaw »

Using the standard masking technique, it seems to work here. For example, I have two overlapping circles in one layer, and a single circle as a mask in another:

Are you doing anything unusual with the shapes? Like, were the overlapping shapes created as a single shape? That can cause interesting (and sometimes useful) boolean effects...or undesirable effects when it's done unintentionally.

Can you post an example project?
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hayasidist

Post by hayasidist »

yeah - it sounds to me as though the "shapes" in the layer used as a mask are not separate Shapes in the Moho sense of the word. As Greenlaw says, it's possible to create several closed Paths that are treated as one Shape - this is how freehand behaves if you have autofill on. Take a look at the mask layer on its own. If there are "holes" in it then this is likely what has happened. More about this in Tutorial 2.2.
hope that's helpful!
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

To further illustrate what Paul and I are talking about, here's the same two overlapping circles used to create a single shape instead of two separate shapes.

Is this the effect you're talking about? This is expected when you create shapes this way.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Here's an example of where the boolean effect can be useful.

Two versions of a 'face' have been created using the three circular paths seen in the middle:

On the left side, the paths create three separate shapes, each filled with white.

On the right, however, they create a single shape, and the overlapping 'eye' circles punch holes in the 'head' circle. Using this technique, you can place irises in a separate layer behind the face and they will get masked without using a mask layer.

(Thanks to Victor Paredes for showing me this handy trick!)
Last edited by Greenlaw on Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rafael

Post by rafael »

Greenlaw wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:49 pm were the overlapping shapes created as a single shape? That can cause interesting (and sometimes useful) boolean effects...or undesirable effects when it's done unintentionally.
100% what the issue was. Thanks for the help and eye trick, I'll definitely be using that at some point!