Concerns upgrading Moho Pro 13 from Moho Pro 12

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Jac

Concerns upgrading Moho Pro 13 from Moho Pro 12

Post by Jac »

Moho Pro 13.
I have animated a complete draft of a 12 minute story with Moho Pro 12, which took me a few months. As you know, a lot of work. I usually upgrade to new version of this software. From someone's experience, is there some area of the my animation with Moho Pro 12 where I could face some difficulties after I upgrade to Moho Pro 13? Drawings, colors, shapes, gradients, actions, cycles, parenting or other areas?

Jac
synthsin75

Re: Concerns upgrading Moho Pro 13 from Moho Pro 12

Post by synthsin75 »

Only any 3D or Poser elements. I always keep the last version installed, just in case.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

You can keep multiple versions of Moho/ASP running on the same computer. On my laptop I have both 12.5 and 13, and on my old tablet computer I have versions 13 going back to 9.5 installed. This way, if I need to open an old file, I can. (TBH, in recent years I haven't had to go back farther than 12.x.) There's no reason to remove an older version of Moho/ASP unless you just wish to save disk space.

When I'm in the middle of a project, I might experiment with a new release on a few scenes for that project, but I always keep backups of my project files and the older software available in case I have to regress. Later, when I have full confidence in the new version, and if I'm still working on that project, then I'll migrate it fully.

Be cautious with point-0 releases of any software...it's exciting to use new software but there are ALWAYS going to be bugs in the first release.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jac

Post by Jac »

Thanks for your comments Wes and Greenlaw.

Is there a procedure to install the upgrade Moho Pro 13 without loosing access to Moho Pro 12.5? In my past updates I lost access to the former versions of the software. That would be very convenient and reassuring.

Would you tell me about that procedure or refer me to a written one.

Jac
alanthebox

Post by alanthebox »

I have 12.5 and 13 installed. There wasn't really any special procedure! 12.5 still exists and is launchable. They might as well be completely separate pieces of software.

I did choose to have 13 use the same custom content folder, but it looks like 13 might have a different structure for that (example: 12 used a "brushes" folder, whereas 13 has a "vector brushes" folder). If your project uses a lot of custom content I'm not entirely sure how everything would link back up. For my purposes, once I pasted all my vector brushes into the new directory, all my previous projects opened as expected.

Hope this is at least a little bit reassuring! 12 and 13 have different license keys, so, you won't need to deactivate anything.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

alanthebox is correct, it should install 13 in a new directory.

The only time Moho will remove an older release is when you're installing an update to the same version you already have installed. But even that is optional. All you need to do is create and name a new directory for the new point-x version, and Moho will install that point-x version there and keep the old one. I think Moho may still ask if you wish to remove the old version; if it does, just say no.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Re: older versions,

I typically keep point-x versions for only the current version cycle. This is just in case new bugs are introduced in later versions.

For past versions, I only keep the last release of each version. At that point, you probably have what was the most stable release with the most features of that version.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

I too would like to test 13 before I upgrade. 12.5 works so well I don't want to rock the boat :)
So, just to be supersure... If I tell the installer to "keep both" I'll be able to work with both my 12.5 AND the 13 trial?
chucky

Post by chucky »

Be sure to install it in a different location, and it should be fine.
Also backup you 12.5 installation file. and serial , you'll always have that.
Reindeer

Post by Reindeer »

chucky wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:11 pm Be sure to install it in a different location, and it should be fine.
Also backup you 12.5 installation file. and serial , you'll always have that.
Thank you, Chucky. The Mac will install it by default in the Applications folder. If I choose "keep both" it will go in there but it won't overwrite 12.5.
As a matter of fact, I just this minute noticed (I had really forgotten!) I still have a working copy of Anime Studio Pro 11.2.1 in the Applications folder, and it's alive and kicking. So, I guess that proves adding 13 won't create any trouble :)
chucky

Post by chucky »

Good stuff Reindeer
SuperSGL

Post by SuperSGL »

alanthebox wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:47 pm

I did choose to have 13 use the same custom content folder, but it looks like 13 might have a different structure for that (example: 12 used a "brushes" folder, whereas 13 has a "vector brushes" folder). If your project uses a lot of custom content I'm not entirely sure how everything would link back up. For my purposes, once I pasted all my vector brushes into the new directory, all my previous projects opened as expected.
I did the same and the new brushes I got disappeared (well at least from view of 13) Thanks I'll just have to move those brushes to the vector brushes folder. Of course the scripts will have to be re-installed for ver.13 to see. I gotta watch the tutorial on that again :oops:
But I've run 13 and 12.5 with out any issues. I even went through my files and saved them to a new folder to keep the older files as backups (just in case). No issues with opening those apart from the missing brushes I mentioned.
"Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn."
Norman McLaren

My Animations