How to keep Layers Panel very wide.

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

toymaker1

How to keep Layers Panel very wide.

Post by toymaker1 »

I am learning Moho 13 on iMac OSX 10.14.5. Does anyone know if it is possible to have a Moho setup with the Layers Panel permanently set to be wide? I like to work with the Layers Panel staying wide, with the full information showing. I find that however I alter the Preferences, Moho always reverts to a narrow Layers Panel. Grateful for any advice about this.
Greenlaw

Re: How to keep Layers Panel very wide.

Post by Greenlaw »

That's strange. Does it do this even after hiding or moving the columns to the right of the Name column to the left of it? Those columns can obscure the name but hiding or moving them should keep the name column clear. (You'll still want to have the Autosize Name Column option enabled.)

If you're following the above, and it works but only until the next time you launch Moho, then it may mean Moho is unable to save the preferences. I'm not sure if Moho does this after clicking OK or when you quit the program. It's easy to check though...just open the directory where the preferences exist and keep it visible while running Moho. Then make the changes and click OK in preferences. Does the file date change? If not, it's probably saving on quit. Quit Moho and check watch the date. Does it change then?

If the preferences still doesn't change, check that the file isn't locked. If all else fails, quit Moho and remove the file from the folder. Then launch Moho so it can create new file for you. (Keep a backup of the file in case something goes wrong and you need to restore it.) Then make your changes and quit Moho. Hopefully, the changes will be reflected when you launch Moho again.

Oh, just thought of something. I'm not sure this has anything to do with custom formatting the Layers window but make sure Save And Restore Viewport Settings In Document is enabled. The Documents opitons aren't supposed to be global like in the other tabs so it probably won't matter here but try it anyway. (I keep it enabled anyway.)

Good luck.

P.S., post a screen cap of what it looks like on your computer. That might give us a clue about what's going on.
toymaker1

Post by toymaker1 »

Greenlaw wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:31 pm That's strange. Does it do this even after hiding or moving the columns to the right of the Name column to the left of it? Those columns can obscure the name but hiding or moving them should keep the name column clear. (You'll still want to have the Autosize Name Column option enabled.)

If you're following the above, and it works but only until the next time you launch Moho, then it may mean Moho is unable to save the preferences. I'm not sure if Moho does this after clicking OK or when you quit the program. It's easy to check though...just open the directory where the preferences exist and keep it visible while running Moho. Then make the changes and click OK in preferences. Does the file date change? If not, it's probably saving on quit. Quit Moho and check watch the date. Does it change then?

If the preferences still doesn't change, check that the file isn't locked. If all else fails, quit Moho and remove the file from the folder. Then launch Moho so it can create new file for you. (Keep a backup of the file in case something goes wrong and you need to restore it.) Then make your changes and quit Moho. Hopefully, the changes will be reflected when you launch Moho again.

Oh, just thought of something. I'm not sure this has anything to do with custom formatting the Layers window but make sure Save And Restore Viewport Settings In Document is enabled. The Documents opitons aren't supposed to be global like in the other tabs so it probably won't matter here but try it anyway. (I keep it enabled anyway.)

Good luck.

P.S., post a screen cap of what it looks like on your computer. That might give us a clue about what's going on.
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to locate the directory where the Moho preferences exist.
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

As I replied to your other post:
You'll find it in your user library: ~/Library/Preferences/Smith Micro/Moho Pro
toymaker1

Post by toymaker1 »

Ronbo wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:19 pm As I replied to your other post:
You'll find it in your user library: ~/Library/Preferences/Smith Micro/Moho Pro
Thanks.
I have pasted an image which appears to show that when I re-launched Moho pro, after putting moho folder '12' into a new folder as backup (BU MOHO PRO FOLDER), moho did not create a new '12' folder; which I thought it was supposed to do. Any advice?

toymaker1

Post by toymaker1 »

Greenlaw wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:31 pm That's strange. Does it do this even after hiding or moving the columns to the right of the Name column to the left of it? Those columns can obscure the name but hiding or moving them should keep the name column clear. (You'll still want to have the Autosize Name Column option enabled.)

Good luck.

Thanks to Greenlaw and Ronbo for their very useful advice.

For some unknown reason, Moho seems to have corrected the problem of it's own accord. - I just opened up Moho Pro 13, after two frustrating days of trying to extend the width of the layers panel, and I found that I am now able to keep the Layers panel to the desired width after I closed the program.!!! I don't know what happened, but it is a good result.

Thanks for the assistance.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

That's pretty weird but I'm glad you got it working. :)

I'll add Ronbo's Mac info to the page for the video. If I have time, I'll append the video itself. Thanks Ronbo!
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

Glad I could help!