Moho Roadmap?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

JoelMayer

Moho Roadmap?

Post by JoelMayer »

Hi Guys!

First of all, not trying to start any sort of flamewar or controversy here.

I've just finished my latest project for a client using Toon Boom, which made sense, since it was more FBF based. Also did another Moho short this year. Unfortunately, 13 crashed on me a lot and i had to execute it in Low-Res Mode so it would run smoothly on my 27" iMac.

Although it's great we finally got the 13 Update, i still miss the momentum the software had during the Mike, Fahim, Victor days. They were on such a roll with frequent Updates and starting to get industry reckognition etc. I don't know how long it has been since the last point-update to 13 came out but, is there any word from SmithMicro's team about what they're planning to implement or what they are working on? I feel like the communication between users and developers has really quiet down in recent years.

I saw some suggestions for a Discord and i think that would be a great idea. I'm part of several and it's always a cool way to easily exchange ideas with other Users and sometimes even developers who joined.

Moho is such a great piece of software but just rough around so many edges atm. I'd hate to see it die a quiet death, since there is really nothing quite comparable around at least when it comes to workflow.

So i think after 3 years of silence about development before the 13 release hit, a bit of transparency with the development would be great from SM's side even though i understand, Moho really isn't their first priority (look at their website and you know what i mean).

Okay, "rant" or whatever you'd like to call it over :)

Hope everyone's doing good!
Greenlaw

Re: Moho Roadmap?

Post by Greenlaw »

JoelMayer wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:33 pm First of all, not trying to start any sort of flamewar or controversy here.

I've just finished my latest project for a client using Toon Boom, which made sense, since it was more FBF based. Also did another Moho short this year. Unfortunately, 13 crashed on me a lot and i had to execute it in Low-Res Mode so it would run smoothly on my 27" iMac...
Nothing wrong with that...in my experience, most modern animation production is the hybrid result of multiple programs and techniques. At my workplace we use TB Harmony and Adobe Animate for FBF, and Moho and AE for puppet animation. These programs each have their particular strengths and weaknesses, and they all work great together. In my personal work, I also use TV Paint for FBF, and it works great with Moho too. But for puppet animations, I really prefer Moho over anything else.

That said, if performance and stability is critical to your work, you should also keep Moho 12.5 on your computer. It's for this reason, we're still using Moho 12.5 at work. You can run both versions on your computer just fine, so if you still have 12.5, don't remove it.

I'm using Moho 13 daily in my personal projects. I really like using it, especially with the new Actions window but there have been a few situations where I've had to switch back to 12.5. The developers are aware of some issues reported by me and many others, and they're busy addressing them for upcoming releases.

Eventually, I'll be switching to 13 full time but it's always good to have a backup plan. :)
JoelMayer

Post by JoelMayer »

The developers are aware of some issues reported by me and many others, and they're busy addressing them for upcoming releases.
Thank you, this info alone is encouraging to hear :D I agree completely with mixing and matching different apps according to their strengths.
opeth

Post by opeth »

Greenlaw wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:09 pm
JoelMayer wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:33 pm First of all, not trying to start any sort of flamewar or controversy here.

I've just finished my latest project for a client using Toon Boom, which made sense, since it was more FBF based. Also did another Moho short this year. Unfortunately, 13 crashed on me a lot and i had to execute it in Low-Res Mode so it would run smoothly on my 27" iMac...
Nothing wrong with that...in my experience, most modern animation production is the hybrid result of multiple programs and techniques. At my workplace we use TB Harmony and Adobe Animate for FBF, and Moho and AE for puppet animation. These programs each have their particular strengths and weaknesses, and they all work great together. In my personal work, I also use TV Paint for FBF, and it works great with Moho too. But for puppet animations, I really prefer Moho over anything else.

That said, if performance and stability is critical to your work, you should also keep Moho 12.5 on your computer. It's for this reason, we're still using Moho 12.5 at work. You can run both versions on your computer just fine, so if you still have 12.5, don't remove it.

I'm using Moho 13 daily in my personal projects. I really like using it, especially with the new Actions window but there have been a few situations where I've had to switch back to 12.5. The developers are aware of some issues reported by me and many others, and they're busy addressing them for upcoming releases.

Eventually, I'll be switching to 13 full time but it's always good to have a backup plan. :)
I agree with Greenlaw. We use Moho 13.02 but sometimes its crashed. So we open same project on Moho 12.5 and its work well. But its hard to work with 13 to 12 . Because all rig colours is reset. And before i said this forum still moho 12 faster then 13
Moho 13 / 13.5 MacBook Pro 16'2 M1 Max 32gb.
lucasfranca

Post by lucasfranca »

There are two things I would like to see in Moho, only two: That the subtractive mask could show the contours as in the additive (including exclude stroke) and a mask with a switch could also exclude the strokes and show them in the mask. That alone would make a lot easier on the masks.
An old guy [since 1983] who was raised in front of the TV.
Passionate about animation, after getting old, he decides to make it his hobby.

I share tutorials, reviews, tips and tricks from this vast world of animation on my channel.

https://youtube.com/animai2D
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Hre's something positive not worth for its own thread:

Right now I do stuff with large bitmaps in very slow motion/scaling. In v11 I noticed that those were rendered badly, it looked like some wave distortion was applied to the bitmaps or a very lossy codec. (yes, "extra smooth images" was checked.)

Now in 13.5 this problem has vanished, everything moves as smoothly as possible. Improvement where I need it!
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
digitalartguru

Post by digitalartguru »

I will like to see better auto-lipsync features in Moho.
“Animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn.”
– Norman McLaren