Render errors

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rowan

Re: Render errors

Post by Rowan »

slowtiger wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:25 pm 1000 frames in 4K are 2.5 GB. Did you ever even check if there's enough RAM for that?

Do the math before you render.
During rendering Moho only utilizes 12% of my 64GB RAM. Which math do you mean?
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Which means nothing if applications don't use it. There's in-built limits in most of them.
AS 9.5 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
AS 11 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
Moho 13.5 iMac Quadcore 2,9GHz 16GB OS 10.15

Moho 14.1 Mac Mini Plus OS 13.5
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

slowtiger wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:40 pm Which means nothing if applications don't use it. There's in-built limits in most of them.
Ok, so there is no math for me to do? You're saying Moho simply has a built-in limit that prevents rendering over 500 frames of 50fps 1080p video?
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

If you have had devoted some time to check how's your machine (hw&sw) set to work - I believe you'd find the clogged spot quite swiftly. Now, if you would add to the list an animation sw and then the editing one - woohoo - by now, you'd already brag here about your new piece :)

Not sure which edition of Moho you're using but I think none of the existing ones has/had video editing tools!?

p.s.
I still don't get the remark about image sequences? Shall I pass you a screenshot of two layers and you'd know which one is img.seq. and which is a video? AFAIK, neither would AE nor any other video editing sw.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Maestral wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:11 pm If you have had devoted some time to check how's your machine (hw&sw) set to work - I believe you'd find the clogged spot quite swiftly. Now, if you would add to the list an animation sw and then the editing one - woohoo - by now, you'd already brag here about your new piece :)

Not sure which edition of Moho you're using but I think none of the existing ones has/had video editing tools!?

p.s.
I still don't get the remark about image sequences? Shall I pass you a screenshot of two layers and you'd know which one is img.seq. and which is a video? AFAIK, neither would AE nor any other video editing sw.
It's difficult for me to understand your English, but I believe you are asking if I know the difference between an image sequence and video? Yes I do :) and you think I edit video in Moho? No I do not, I use After Effects.

"If you have had devoted some time to check how's your machine (hw&sw) set to work - I believe you'd find the clogged spot quite swiftly."
Care to elaborate? I'm using Moho 12.5.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

I'll make it simple this time ,)

You have unusable avi.
You can export img.seq.
You have an editing tool which can work with i.s and export avi.

Why do you still insist on avi export from Moho?

Clogs...
It's always individual. Default settings are not always the best ones.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Thank you for simplifying.

Formats like Uncompressed .AVI, MagicYUV and Prores are much faster to work with within After Effects than compressed image sequences like PNG. This is the reason I went for the .AVI route and encountered this problem.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Live 'n' Learn

PNG is usually among uncompressed and lossless file formats. But, how about TARGA then?

Hope you'd not mind me asking - you do know a difference between importing a set of image files as individual frames (that are each given the frame duration, set in preferences) and importing it as an image sequence, right? AFAIK, once imported as i.s. - that set of images would act just like any video hence my lack of understanding of your remarks about speed or ease.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Yes I know the difference.

PNG is slower because it is a compressed format, thus After Effects has to work harder to display a frame compared to less compressed formats.
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

I never export movie files directly from Moho except to make quick and disposable previews. It's better to render an image sequence like PNG.

The typical workflow at every studio where I've worked is to export an image sequence first from the animation program, and then compile the sequence as a movie file for editorial in a separate process. I usually do this in compositing but it probably works fine to import the rendered image sequence into a new Moho project and then write out your movie from there.

The reasons for separate passes is that the first pass allows Moho to fully utilize the processors and ram to just rendering the animation. Also, since I'm writing out individual frame files rather than a single movie file, if I need to make a change or if I have bad frames, I only need to re-render those changed frames, not the entire frame range. Not so with a movie file. With a movie file, if something needs to be changed, you need to re-render the whole thing, which can waste a lot of time. Also, when Moho is processing a complex animation while rendering a single movie file, it needs to keep track of all those frames in memory, so you can quickly run out of RAM when you're also processing the animation. Better to reduce the overhead first when rendering the movie, especially when your talking 4k footage.

That said, the second reason I don't like to use Moho to write movie files directly out from Moho is because Moho's movie file options are somewhat limited. IMO, it's better to compile the movie file from a program better suited for that task. Since you have AE, that's a good place to do it.

As mentioned earlier, I like to compile my frames in compositing but this is also because I tend to break out my animations to multiple layers anyway. I've also used video editors and movie conversion utilities to do this. If you have multiple shots in your productions, many of these programs can also batch process your movies to save time.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Greenlaw on Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rowan

Post by Rowan »

Thanks for your insightful reply.

Now I export 4K PNG sequences from Moho and proxy them in After Effects (ProRes 4444 + alpha). It's an extra step compared to directly exporting video from Moho, but it seems that's the only option.
Maestral

Post by Maestral »

Say what?! You give up your avi route?
So disappointing