FBX Export From Moho 13 Pro to Unity - what exactly won't work?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

AureliaKos

FBX Export From Moho 13 Pro to Unity - what exactly won't work?

Post by AureliaKos »

Hi!

I'd like to buy Moho 13 Pro, it looks awesome, but I still have some doubts. The thing is, I'm looking for professional animation software suitable for making animations for 2D games, that works with Unity. I've written to Smith Mikro asking about export, they've replied everything is fine with basic options, but not when I'd like to use "figures using the drawing and advanced Animation Controls". First, I was happy they've answered so quickly, then I realized I really don't know, what that specifically means. Can I use something similar to 'path creator', all rigging options, mesh deformation, 3D scenes and effects? Does anyone knows, if this software is a good choice for making artistic, raster, painting style animations? Thanks a lot for your help, guys!
Lukas

Re: FBX Export From Moho 13 Pro to Unity - what exactly won't work?

Post by Lukas »

I've played around with it. And honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. I use Moho a whole lot and recommend it for puppet animation for video, but for game engines there are better solutions. In Unity you're better off using Unity's own tools and custom Monobehaviours for your own needs.
But it's possible and animating in Moho is great, so if you can get it to work for your project, more power to you. But don't expect it to be easy out of the box.

Here's some official info straight from the manual:

Using Moho with Unity (Pro Only)
Moho Pro provides a Unity Import script that improves performance of Moho projects in Unity 5.3 or later. When you use the FBX export in Moho in conjunction with a Unity Import script (also provided with Moho Pro), you will see improvements in how Unity displays layering and lighting of your Moho FBX files.

FBX files that were exported from Anime Studio 11 or Anime Studio 11.1 will have to be imported into Anime Studio 11.2 or later and then re-exported as FBX again in order to work properly with the steps noted below.

To use Moho projects inside Unity, proceed as follows:
1. After your Moho project is complete, choose File > Export > Export FBX. Choose a folder and a file name for your FBX file and click Save.
2. Create a new project in Unity.
3. From Moho Pro, choose File > Open Custom Content Folder to open the Custom Content Folder on your hard drive. Select the Extra Files > Unity Importer folder, and locate the AnimeStudioFBXImporter.cs script. Copy this script into the Assets > Editor folder in your Unity project. (If this folder does not exist in your project you will need to create it).
4. Locate the FBX file that you saved with Moho Pro, and import it into the Unity Assets window.
5. Preview the content in the Unity preview window to verify that it appears the same as it did in Moho.
Export FBX (Pro Only)
The File > Export FBX command exports your Moho project in FBX format so that you can import it into other 2D or 3D applications that support the FBX file format. No export options are provided. After choosing this command, you will be prompted to specify a folder and filename for the export.

Many Moho commands (point binding, curvatures, bone stretching, etc.) that are not supported in FBX format. When designing files for FBX export, we recommend that you use the View > FBX Preview command to preview your project before export. For additional information on how to address unsupported features, see “FBX Preview Mode (Pro Only)” on page 491
FBX Preview Mode (Pro Only)
The View > FBX Preview Mode command allows you to preview your Moho project before using the File > FBX Export command to export to another 2D or 3D application that supports FBX format (such as Unity or Autodesk products).

It is important to note that the FBX file format does not support all of the features found in Moho, such as point animation, curvatures, point bindings, and other similar features. Any features that are supported in Moho but not supported in FBX format will not be exported.

While working in FBX Preview mode, you can play back or scrub through your project to view the animation as it will appear in other applications that support FBX file format. You may notice that some parts are left behind when the character animates, or that things are not bending and stretching as they should. This gives you the opportunity to make modifications that will help improve performance in other applications. When you turn FBX Preview mode off after making changes (such as changing point binding to flexi-binding), the project will play back using the original methods, but the changes that you made while working in FBX preview mode will be carried over.

The following general comments address Moho features that are not compatible with FBX format:
• Vector layers will be exported as though they are images.
• Remember that when designing a project for FBX output, everything is about flexi-binding. Other binding methods will produce undesirable results in FBX format.
• Characters that use features like point binding, point bending, curvatures, and other similar features will not move in the same way when exported as an FBX file and imported into another application. You will need to modify the characters using some of the following recommendations.
• If a character uses point binding methods to link bones to vector layers, use the Bone > Use Selected Bones for Flexi-Binding command to remove the point binding. Select only the bones that you want to use to animate a selected body part, and then apply the command. Repeat this for any body part that uses point binding. Make sure to preview again in FBX Preview Mode to see the result of the change.
• Use the Bone Strength tool to verify bone strengths for each of the body parts to make sure they are not being under- or over-affected. Adjust bone strengths as needed before exporting the project.
• Bone scaling and stretching is not supported in FBX format.

And regarding your question:
Does anyone knows, if this software is a good choice for making artistic, raster, painting style animations?
If you mean cut-out puppet animation, sure you can definitely rig and animate painterly stuff in Moho. But you'll want to paint your assets in Photoshop or some other software. If you don't want cut-out, but want frame by frame painterly, I'd suggest TVPaint.
AureliaKos

Post by AureliaKos »

Lukas,
thanks so much for thorouh info, definitely helped me make my mind. I think I'll stay with Unity's tools, at least for now. Though TVPaint features look great, it's out of my budget, unfortunately.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

You're welcome. Good luck with your project!