Dynamic bones and Target bones are not working at all!!!!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

striker2311

Dynamic bones and Target bones are not working at all!!!!

Post by striker2311 »

Guys please help me I've been trying to fix it but without any help it seems impossible to me. :cry: Dynamic bones are not working at all they seems to be stuck at one place neither one of them is moving and for Target bones when i try to drag my character down there legs aren't bending and not even moving with Target bones... Please anyone help me :cry:
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Dynamic bones and Target bones are not working at all!!!!

Post by Víctor Paredes »

It's hard to help without seeing the actual file. Can you share it?
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
striker2311

Post by striker2311 »

Víctor Paredes wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:18 am It's hard to help without seeing the actual file. Can you share it?
Yes i can but how ? I mean where?
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Ok, I took a quick look to your file (which looks impressive) and found four problems:

- Most of the smart actions have keyframes for the dynamic bones.
This generates a conflict to the software. The dynamic bones don't move, because they are being forced to stay in the angle Smart bones dictate.
To fix it, select all the dynamic bones (I recommend you to hide every other bone to make the process quicker) and remove their keyframes in all the actions.

- The same issue happens with Target bones. Bones related to a target bone chain (as thighs and calves) shouln't have angle keyframes inside of the smart actions. That breaks the target (for the same reason it does with the dynamic bones).

- You have way too many dynamic bones in the skirt. That makes the rig very heavy and hard to control. The software must calculate the angle of all those bones in movement together and affecting each other.
From my experience, two or three bones on each chain should be more than enough.

- Finally. The numbers in the dynamic bones are crazy. One hundred for torque force is crazy.
Those number, for me at least, are always between 0 and 3 (considering decimals).
You can test the numbers by selecting the bones, hitting play, opening the Bone constraints popup and dragging right click left or right over the numbers.

In general terms:
Little force + bigger spring + bigger damping works for snappy animation.
Bigger force + smaller spring + bigger damping works for softer animation, such as clothes.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
striker2311

Post by striker2311 »

Víctor Paredes wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:13 pm Ok, I took a quick look to your file (which looks impressive) and found four problems:

- Most of the smart actions have keyframes for the dynamic bones.
This generates a conflict to the software. The dynamic bones don't move, because they are being forced to stay in the angle Smart bones dictate.
To fix it, select all the dynamic bones (I recommend you to hide every other bone to make the process quicker) and remove their keyframes in all the actions.

- The same issue happens with Target bones. Bones related to a target bone chain (as thighs and calves) shouln't have angle keyframes inside of the smart actions. That breaks the target (for the same reason it does with the dynamic bones).

- You have way too many dynamic bones in the skirt. That makes the rig very heavy and hard to control. The software must calculate the angle of all those bones in movement together and affecting each other.
From my experience, two or three bones on each chain should be more than enough.

- Finally. The numbers in the dynamic bones are crazy. One hundred for torque force is crazy.
Those number, for me at least, are always between 0 and 3 (considering decimals).
You can test the numbers by selecting the bones, hitting play, opening the Bone constraints popup and dragging right click left or right over the numbers.

In general terms:
Little force + bigger spring + bigger damping works for snappy animation.
Bigger force + smaller spring + bigger damping works for softer animation, such as clothes.

Thanks sir for having a look at that (and also praising it)

- Ok sir I'll remove keyframes from all the other actions for dynamic bones but will it still work if I'll make a smart bone dial for head turn ?

- Ok sir I'll reduce the number of bones in the skirt.

- Yes sir that's a crazy number for sure :oops: but I was just trying and trying with 1-2-3 numbers but nothing was happening so i got frustrated and left it with 100 or so :oops:

Thanks sir for looking into my problem :) I'll check my file and go through every thing that you have said and post back my progress here when I'll finish it. :)