Problem with action that can only be used once

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Andy55

Problem with action that can only be used once

Post by Andy55 »

Hello. I'm new to Moho Pro 13 and I'm facing a problem when inserting an action reference in the timeline.

I created a simple animation showing an eye with the pupil just moving once from right to left.

When I insert the reference in the timeline it plays normal, but when I try to insert again after the first insertion (leaving a few frames in between) the second insertion doesn't play. It shows only the end frame of the first action, i.e. the pupil in its last position to the left.

I've tried creating another action where the pupil moves from right to left and then back to the right. This one plays normal even when I insert the reference a second time.

Please advise. Thanks.
Greenlaw

Re: Problem with action that can only be used once

Post by Greenlaw »

Can you post a screen cap of the timeline? An Action (i.e., Regular and Morph) is just a 'preset' of keyframes that gets pasted into the selected channels, so assuming the keyframes are appropriately set, it should work.

In this case, if you want it to 'ping pong', you may need a second action that animates from the second position back to the first.

If you want the animation to loop repeatedly, you probably want to animate full cycle inside the Action. The cycle should have the 'first' frame of the animation at both the beginning and end of the cycle. (You can use Cycle Interpolation on the last frame and set it to loop back the the second frame inside the Action.)

Personally, this is such a simple animation, I wouldn't bother creating Actions for it. I would just bind the iris to an eye bone (parented to the head bone) and animate the eye bone as needed. Regular Actions and Morph Actions are generally more useful when there is a specific facial expression you wish to reuse.

For a simple motions like moving an iris from point A to point B, using Actions presets and Smart Bone Actions is likely over-complicating the rig and animation process.

Hope this helps.

(FYI, I'm currently using Moho 12.5 at home and work, but I'll check that Regular and Morph Actions are working properly in Moho 13 and get back to you.)