Scale body parts (scale bones both axis)

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Maido H

Scale body parts (scale bones both axis)

Post by Maido H »

I have character rig and let's say I want to scale the head or hand (for perspective) twice as big at some point, how do you approach it? Bones scales only in one axis and it seems impossible to scale some body parts uniformly. Scale bones in both axes seem for me very basic necessity, but maybe you handle it somehow differently in MOHO, even though it would make sense to scale bones both axis.

I could make a group for graphics and scale the group/layer, but then the bones will be left behind and therefore messes up the rig... :?

Thank for all the hints!
:!: Moho is great and let's make it even better :idea:
Víctor Paredes
Site Admin

Re: Scale body parts (scale bones both axis)

Post by Víctor Paredes »

Sadly, it's not possible to scale bones in X. The closer you have is the squash and stretch option, but that doesn't work for what you are looking for.
I can think in two options:
- Using a new smart bone to scale both the bone and the content. I think this is the safest and most powerful option you have.
- Pin bones are scaled in both axis at the same time. That option could help you, but it would need a different way of rigging your character.
Image Image Image Image
Moho Product Manager

www.mohoanimation.com
Rigged animation supervisor in My father's dragon - Lead Moho artist in Wolfwalkers - Cartoon Saloon - My personal Youtube Channel
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

Another option, also changing the rig, would be to nest bone layers, with the main skeleton scaling a layer-bound bone layer lengthwise, and that bone layer scaling the content crosswise.
But I agree that pin bones are the easiest way.
Maido H

Post by Maido H »

I had forgotten the bin bones at all but after some tests they seem to be fit for very limited scenarios - they work well when I have a head with no extra bones (pin bone as a child for neck), then scale works well, but as soon as I have more child bones as a child of pin bones (for example hand with fingers), then it brakes apart because scaling pin bone dos not affect the child bone scales, as this would be the desired result in my case.

Looks like the smart bones are the only option in situations like this, which are pretty tedious to construct though. I feel that there should a better option to scale hierarchies in MOHO, but looking through some of the older posts, where the same topics were discussed, I do not have too much hope they will implement it any time soon.

Thanks.
:!: Moho is great and let's make it even better :idea:
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

For complicated bits, like hands, the method I mentioned works well. Here's a quick example: https://sites.google.com/site/synthsin/ ... ects=0&d=1

The only drawback is that the hand bones are on their own bone layer. Most of us like all our bone animation on the same layer, because it makes it easier to animate and retime. Luckily you can always use timeline visibility to see multiple layer keyframes at once, or even have the nested bones controlled by main skeleton smart bones.