Moho won’t work properly on Big Sur.

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

SungW

Moho won’t work properly on Big Sur.

Post by SungW »

Short Words: Moho won’t work properly on Big Sur.

Long Words: After upgraded to Big Sur, All the drawings and modeling of Moho can NOT be seen because the main screen went black.

Thus, I can NOT use Moho Pro on Big Sur any more which I’ve worried about before upgrading to Big Sur.
rayamc

Re: Moho won’t work properly on Big Sur.

Post by rayamc »

I upgraded on one of my machines and just get a red display in the main window. I can render what's there but not see it. I have Moho on other machines so I can get by but this does seem like an urgent fix for Apple silicon (rosetta) and also any one who buys any kind of new mac moving forward.

Lets hope there's a quick fix.
barrysampson

Post by barrysampson »

What version of Moho are you both running?

Smith Micro only supports version 13 on MacOS 10.13 and 10.14. All earlier versions of Moho and Anime Studio are end of life and unsupported.

Given that Apple make significant (and breaking) changes to MacOS regularly and Smith Micro seem to have given up on Moho, it was clear that some time soon Moho may stop working for us Mac users.

You never know, they may update v13 to run on MacOS 11, but I wouldn’t count on it.

I’m not planning to update to Big Sur just yet, but given how godawful Moho 13 is there’s no way I’ll upgrade (I’m still on 12.5) so it may be the end of the line for me.

It’s a shame.
Barry

Using Moho 12.5/13.5 on Windows 10 (3.0Ghz i9, RTX 2070ti, 64gb) and MacOS Big Sur (2.3Ghz i9, Radeon Pro 5500M, 64gb)
barrysampson

Post by barrysampson »

Doesn't look like a fix is coming:
Moho 13 is not supported on the latest Mac OS.
https://www.mohoanimation.com/moho-pro- ... ents.shtml

The issue with display (Red or Black Workspace) encountered is a known issue due to changes in the Apple support for the Display functions used by Moho 13.
There are no details at this time on an update to support the latest Mac OS.
Source: https://support1.smithmicro.com/portal/ ... 15-11-2020

So that’s that.
Barry

Using Moho 12.5/13.5 on Windows 10 (3.0Ghz i9, RTX 2070ti, 64gb) and MacOS Big Sur (2.3Ghz i9, Radeon Pro 5500M, 64gb)
cgrotke

Re: Moho might work properly on Big Sur.

Post by cgrotke »

My version (12.5.1) seems to be okay. Opened an old file and rendered it as a test and all was well. Then I opened a new document and did a quick scribble and test and that was okay, too.

Fingers crossed, and I'll also be careful about upgrading the system from now until future-Moho is figured out.
Christopher Grotke
MuseArts - Web Design & Animation
www.musearts.com
2D_&_ME

Post by 2D_&_ME »

Same. Updated to Big Sur and now all I get is a big red screen.
Anyone found a solution yet? Or am I going to have to downgrade?

https://imgur.com/a/kZXgEAA

Doesn't matter if I start a new file, or open a pre-existing and previously working file.
Finlak

Post by Finlak »

I think it should be a simple fix for smithmicro. They might even be able to speed up Moho's 13's speed. I found the timeline was running very slow in Catalina.
cgrotke

Post by cgrotke »

Not sure if this might help but another piece of software I use had a screen redrawing problem after Big Sur and it could be worked around by setting the app to low res mode. You do that by doing a Get Info on the app, then checking a box that says "Open in low resolution". After doing that, the app (Mixxx) could be used again, but with a slow redraw on the screen. Better than nothing while a fix is being worked on.

So, not sure if it will help with Moho13, but might be worth a try to see what happens.
Christopher Grotke
MuseArts - Web Design & Animation
www.musearts.com
here2animate

Post by here2animate »

Mixed messages on MOHO. One the one hand they are offering MOHO at holiday pricing encouraging new users, yet on the other hand no love for Mac users moving to Big Sur. I bought back in October at the last special. Only to find out 13 has some serious bugs and is not that stable. I contacted SM and tried to downgrade. Told them I would give up my 13 license. Response was nothing below 13 supported.

That’s not customer service. Frankly if you own 13 and it’s buggy then SM should be willing to give you the version below if it keeps you from creating content because of their error in releasing unstable software.

Now I have to decide to invest the time in a product that looks like it’s getting less and less support. In my experience products where support starts to trail off either means the developer is losing money on it and are going to let it die a slow death or they are trying to sell it off and put everything on hold until they can get rid of it. Sad though, because MOHO is on par, and in some cases superior, with the higher end systems. It’s just not in the mainstream like toon boom or Animate.
mgo

Post by mgo »

I've been on-off with Moho over the last couple of years, so I don't have a clear view of their commitment. I just had a bad encounter with support last spring, but, well, that can happen. I am curios though, how do the regulars here feel about the future of the app?
🚀
synthsin75

Post by synthsin75 »

mgo wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:42 pm I am curios though, how do the regulars here feel about the future of the app?
v12.5 is solid for the foreseeable future, at least if you're on Windows (Mac likes to burn bridges to older software). v13 has workflow crippling bugs and development is dead.
mgo

Post by mgo »

synthsin75 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:55 pm v13 has workflow crippling bugs and development is dead.
Doesn't sound like sunshine and rainbows.

I'll keep the Windows laptop around for a while, but the new Macs are just so much more pleasant to work with.
Would be nice if Moho ran, even if it's just via Rosetta.
🚀
rayamc

Post by rayamc »

Just installed 12.5 on an Apple Silicon MacBook Air and it works really well. Even though it's emulated. It's about x2 or 3 the speed of my 2015 i7 and i5 iMacs. Only just tested the demo files after installation, will post if I find any issues
barrysampson

Post by barrysampson »

rayamc wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:42 am Just installed 12.5 on an Apple Silicon MacBook Air and it works really well. Even though it's emulated. It's about x2 or 3 the speed of my 2015 i7 and i5 iMacs. Only just tested the demo files after installation, will post if I find any issues
That is very good news.
Barry

SungW

Post by SungW »

I regret having upgraded Moho 12 Pro to 13 Pro.
After that, all file formats are upgraded as well that I can NOT open Moho 13 Pro files from Moho 12 Pro.

Currently, I'm only using Moho Pro 12 features on Moho Pro 13.

I had to still use Catalina only for Moho 13 Pro, while doing other tasks on macOS Big Sur.

I think that I have wasted the money.

Smithmicro does NOT seem to regard macOS users, esp., Big Sur users and M1 Mac users.