How do we all use Moho?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

DK

How do we all use Moho?

Post by DK »

How do most people use Moho? For me...i prefer to do all the animation in seperate Moho files...render them out and finish off the project in Premier or Media Studio.
Is this how most of you work?

D.K
Postality

Post by Postality »

I draw out comic type frames on paper to layout what each scene will look like.

then I build these scenes and animate them in moho.

I then export my animation to an SWF file (if that's the format I'm using)

I import it into a flash type program to add sound effects and music.

I then finish up with the complete cartoon.

if I'm doing avi's then I use virtualdub and I'm looking for a program to add sounds in the avi's on a timeline but haven't found one as of yet. So I just convert my swf files into avi's after I've completed it with sound and everything.
Anime Studio - Ultimate Game Graphics
7feet

Post by 7feet »

I've been using Sonic Foundry (now Sony) Vegas to put it together. Since it started out as multitrack audio program with a video window for sync, it's great (and easy) for sound. The new versions are much more video oriented but still are great for sound. Not to pimp for them, but they have a package with with the basic versions of Vegas 5, Acid, and Sound Forge for 199US. Not bad. I'll have to fish around, I know I've seen some shareware apps that would do pretty much the same, just don't remember off the top of my head.

--Brian
cribble

Post by cribble »

I used to do everything with moho... but things have changed now and i experiment with it more and intergration with other software.

I use MoHo to do all the layers etc and export them to flash as individual (sp) SWF files and compress them before re-assembling them into flash. And i always work at 30fps. Always!

After i've done the flash, depending on the project, i export as quicktime and import into Cubase SX where i do the sound, music, effects and atmospherics. Set up the timeline etc to 30fps, export as audio (otherwise know as .WAV) at either 32,000Hz or 22,000hz (it compresses better) and import into flash where it should sync up properly, because of the timeline setup etc.

Export then to a final file, without compressing the audio too much (because i hate crap audio)as i think audio is very important to any project, as a SWF. Ready for web... or quicktime if i want video.
--Scott
cribble.net
gochris

Post by gochris »

I use Moho in several ways.

1. For animating my story boards.

2. I'm experimenting with TV style flash animation, like they use on Mucha Lucha or Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends. I hope to crate a TV pilot using Moho. Seems to me the Cartoon Network already uses Moho... certainly some of the shows look that way.

3. And I'm really intrigued with combining 2-d and 3-d. In this case, I'll model a 3-d character, then crate a Moho animation of a face acting and wrap that Moho animation onto the head of my 3-d character. I can get really expessive animation that way -- especially on the eyes. So much 3-D animation has dead eyes - look at Father Of The Pride and you'll see what I mean. But animating eyes in Moho is really fast and you can change their pupil size and move them around so easily in Moho.
Why care so much about eyes? Well. indeed the eyes are the window to the soul... and Chuck Jones said that often he could get a character to act just by moving thier eyes. I've also been experimenting with putting a 3-d light inside my character's heads to denote when they are especially "on" or happy. And I dim the light when the character's mood changes and gets bleak.

Allright, enough yappin'
Gochri
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Hey, Gochris. So you're animating facial bit's like the eyes and then mapping them back on a character in a 3d prog? I've mostly tried working the other way around. Mostly 'cause the only 3d I'm any good at is physical. Gimme a chunk of clay, I'll sculpt anything you might want. Give me software, and it takes me a million years just to do something that doesn't suck I've been going for minimal 3D where I just can't find an easy solution, and the rest in Moho ( with some outside compositing, maybe ). Interesteing to see someone going in the entirely opposite direction with the concept.

But with Moho having enough 3D aspects now it's kind on natural to go back and forth. I've been meaning to whip up a script to translate canera paths between Moho and Terragen. Theres something about 2D I just like, but there's plenty of ways to smack 'em together.

--Brian
gochris

Post by gochris »

Funny that we're doing the opposite. You say you can't model in a computer very well -- well I can barely draw, and have a hard time with turning drawings in perpective. So I model in 3-D and then import into Moho and perspective is no longer an issue. Of course I should also add that I'm modeling INCREDIBLY simple stuff... no major 500K polygon photo realistic stuff here! So I can barely draw and barely model and thanks to Moho I can still get animation I like. Whatta world! Thanks LM!

CW