Does .wav or .Mp3 work better?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Alan Holcome

Does .wav or .Mp3 work better?

Post by Alan Holcome »

Has anybotty found that WAVs or Mp3s work better in MOHO? It might just be that I'm doing something wrong, but in the few projects I've put sound to, WAVs didn't studder and Mp3s did.
Thank You
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

WAV's are easier to play back in sync with the animation, and to play back at different speeds. So, while working on your animation, an uncompessed format like WAV is going to play back smoother.
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

mp3s are smaller files but they put an extra workload on the processor because they have to be "decoded". I would think you could probably benefit from using a lower quality .wav file while working, though; i.e. 8-bit, mono, 22050 samples per second or less.
-Keith
cribble

Post by cribble »

AcouSvnt wrote:mp3s are smaller files but they put an extra workload on the processor because they have to be "decoded". I would think you could probably benefit from using a lower quality .wav file while working, though; i.e. 8-bit, mono, 22050 samples per second or less.
I think you can get away with 16 bit - 22,050hz and it'll still be fine.

Are you exporting to a SWF file? because MP3 goes down better then (but it will increase the file size to however much your original MP3 size was).
--Scott
cribble.net
Lost Marble
Site Admin

Post by Lost Marble »

You can always create two audio files too. Use a low-quality uncompressed WAV file while creating your animation to sync movements up with sounds, and then switch to a high-quality MP3 just before your final export.