AS Pro Manual Rewrite soon please!

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

gbpatriot

Post by gbpatriot »

Please don't take this as a criticism of AS Pro - it clearly is a great tool for vector animation - with enormous commercial potential.
But the manual is - well - infuriating and frustrating. I don't doubt that almost everything there is to know about AS is in there somewhere - but locating specific information can take ages.

Can I further suggest that the current help file be first converted to a downloadable, printable PDF file with content page and detailed index.
Is it also possible that the task be given to a 'non technical' writer - someone with a more user-friendly style and the viewpoint of a new user?
Software authors are notorious for not suffering fools gladly and tend to take their detailed system knowledge to be universally understood.

Being able to print and bind a manual enables users to study processes away from the monitor glare. Reading from a screen is never as good as from paper.

Additionally, I suggest that all the tutorials be reworked as videos - separate from the manual.

AS Pro is a great application - but is ham-strung by its user handbook. I think that my observations are borne out by the numerous requests for basic information that pepper these forums. If anyone reads this far perhaps they can point me to the section that explains if or not I can duplicate a Group Layer?

The existing manual has served its role well - but now the product has become mainstream it has be brought up-to-date. After all, AS Pro costs a great deal of money to buy.

Ray
A fool who need to be suffered gladly
Rasheed

Re: AS Pro Manual Rewrite soon please!

Post by Rasheed »

gbpatriot wrote:The existing manual has served its role well - but now the product has become mainstream it has be brought up-to-date. After all, AS Pro costs a great deal of money to buy.
Although AS Pro costs more than Moho, I think it is still very affordable. It isn't like it costs several thousands of dollars.

The current tutorials aren't meant for reference, but rather for doing what is mentioned in the tutorial, to get a feel for the program. The tutorial doesn't learn you how to animate (nor should it) or how to produce an animation. I think most of us learn to master the program by just using it for animation projects, not by going back again and again to the supplied tutorial.

What you (and many others in this forum) want is a reference book, where all the functionality and tricks and tips are ordered and indexed.
gbpatriot

Rewrite AS manual

Post by gbpatriot »

The current tutorials aren't meant for reference, but rather for doing what is mentioned in the tutorial, to get a feel for the program. The tutorial doesn't learn you how to animate (nor should it) or how to produce an animation. I think most of us learn to master the program by just using it for animation projects, not by going back again and again to the supplied tutorial.
Thanks for your response Rasheed.

Perhaps you misunderstand me. I simply request better navigation through the material. For instance: where can I quickly find a detailed explaination of the tracing function. How to import a background image, fade it and either delete or retain the image?
I have written several user manuals during my years as an IT Manager and ALWAYS included a cross-referenced index with corresponding page numbers. Surely this is not too much to ask?

I apologise if I have touched a raw nerve by daring to offer minor improvements to the product - are such suggestions unwelcome?

Regards

Ray
gbpatriot

Post by gbpatriot »

A little background information might help any other readers of this link.

Now in my sixties, I am returning to animation after a break of about 30 years.
I began making my own 3 -8 minute cine films back in 1972 using hand-drawn and cut-out images on a home-made peg-bar lightbox. I even made my own camera rostrum.

Recently I discovered some of my unfinished storyboards and character sheets and resolved to complete them using modern digital techniques. Ever aware of my proximity to the grave, I don't have the time luxury of youthful tinkering. I need to get to heart of the issue quickly and get animating again. Hence this should explain my frustration with the AS Pro user manual.

I am a reasonably competent 2D artist and 3D modeller. If you get a moment check out my 2D VECTOR images at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89375046@N00/

Regards

Ray
wizaerd

Post by wizaerd »

I gotta agree. A decent search function or an index would be more useful, and a PDF version for those of us who prefer to print out the manual as opposed to an electronic copy.

And the content needs to be enhanced as well. I'm not looking for a tutorial to teach me to animate, but I am looking for a manual that teaches me to use the provided tools to animate. More than the basic tutorials covered today.

But even better than that would be more video tutorials... :oops: Oops, was back on my soapbox for a moment....
AmigaMan

Post by AmigaMan »

Hi GBPatriot,

Firstly, your vector images are amazing! I started in animation in a similar way to you - drawn/cut-out animation using a homemade lightbox and rostrum and super8. Great days.

I'm useless with online manuals and, like you, was disappointed that I couldn't print out the included guide and would have liked a PDF version so that I can read up on the software away from the computer. I have to say the tutorials are excellent but I hope a manual is in the works.
wmartinez

Post by wmartinez »

Hey.
I hear here two things.
First, there are people wanting tutorials that will show basic things and also tips and tricks. For this, I would suggest DVTVFilm's idea of having a tutorial section in the forum. Even more, opening a tutorial section in E Frontier page.

The second one is the need for a reference book. Cross-Referenced manual refers to hypertext (html) manual.

I can imagine a reference book with all options in each dialog box explained, all control and icons, all nomal procedures, etc. Each explanation with a working example. And of course a very good index in the back. :) IN PDF or course.

I can also imagine a Tips and Tricks recopilation, even including tutorials, or better yet, some volunteers to offer a tutorial that explains practically the compiled tips.

For the reference book, if organized, all participants of the forum can help to build. Same for the Tips and Tricks. See the discussion about writting an AS Book here http://www.lostmarble.com/forum/viewtop ... 7568#27568

Now, for the manual, I see there is more detail given to each of the options, but keeps around 90% of the detail given by the one written by LM. I do think it needs a little more explanation on usability and concepts, like bones and dynamics, deepness ordering, cameras and such. It needs a little more work to be considered complete.

Will.