EPS import problem

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

nobudget

Post by nobudget »

"Adobe ... Macromedia"

Be careful here, Macromedia once got their asses sued by Adobe for copying their arrangement of tool windows or something like that. Adobe lost by the way. So they are not really on a friendly basis. You could be asked to testify on Adobes' behalf... "Ya know, I couldn't tell them darn programs apart yer'onor. Now where's my LimVo?"

Reindert.
www.nobudgetvideo.com
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

Yeah, I did a quick google search using the terms Macromedia and Adobe, and the first thing that comes up is a bunch of stuff about them suing each other.

Even in command line mode, I think SVG is an output option on potrace. Yes, I just checked. I'll look into that front end, just for playing with it; but the thing I like about command line is the possibilities for automation. Not that I have my BIG IDEA fully formed yet anyway.

Funny aside: the author says that the name "potrace" just happens to be the first thing he could come up with with "trace" in it that wasn't already taken by someone else; he just went down the alphabet first looking for single letter + "trace", then two letters + "trace". It turns out he liked "po" because it could be short for "polygon" ... but the first thing I always think of is "tracer for da po' people". It is free, after all. :lol:
-Keith
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

Brian: I'm playing with Delineate right now. It's nice to be able to do a side to side comparision of Autotrace and Potrace. Yes, Potrace does a *much* nicer job with the actual outlines, no contest; the only drawback being that it only does black and white. I wonder what it would look like if I separated a color picture into R, G, and B channels, ran them each through Potrace, and recombined them.

Autotrace looks kind of like color-by-numbers. Also, the individual shapes don't seem to line up; there are thin gaps between them that you can see the background color through. I wonder if there's a setting that would fix that.
-Keith
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Yup, the "Po' Folks" bit is appropriate. I always had a lot of respect for the Open Source programmers, wherever they might be in their seemingly teeming numbers. But I never quite understood it. 'Til now. I'm sure LM is familiar with some of the motivations (I'll say it again, I like sPatch and similar like JPatch that have come after, and support for the format, prob'ly much similar code still in, would be beeeeeautiful in the 3D aspect), and now I am too. Curioser and curiouser.

Yeah, unless you are outputting a pretty big image size, Autotrace will have some defects that'll muck things up. I've nver looked at the code, maybe there's room for improvement. My old programming was pretty much straight logic. All this bloody math needed for graphics gets my shorts in a bunch. The thing I'd really like to do (or someone who isn't a relative dimwit) is to tweak the algorith so it doesn't import shapes, but spits out proper single line vectors based on the outlines of imported drawn artwork. Moho friendly, y'know. I don't recall anything that's been able to do it well at all, and I don't expect to be able to myself any time soon. But, ya never know

--Brian