Poor Sound Playback

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

groovedude

Poor Sound Playback

Post by groovedude »

I added a 1min wav uncompressed (also tried a MP3) wav as a soundtrack and the playback is not fluid it seems to stutter or not keep up with the sound.

I even set the anim (a circle on 1 frame) to wirefram preview tried various frame rates (6-30) and tried with and without frame skipping enabled--works better with skipping frames.

My computer is no slouch 1gig ram, 2.4 Pentium 4. I can scrub fine with Flash.

Using trial 5.0.3

Also, it only seems to scrub on timeline after I play it through--wierds me out that I can't immediatly scrub, but the above is a big problem for me.
groovedude

con't

Post by groovedude »

Using QT 6.5.1
sherlock

Post by sherlock »

I experienced the same problem today. I ended up writing down what should happen in what keyframe in Adobe Audition. This helped me get a rough art to sound match in Moho. I am now tweaking the whole thing in AA.

Forgive my ignorance, but what does the term "scrub" mean in animation? I have heard it several times, but I am not sure that I understand it's meaning.

Thanks,
HL
groovedude

Scrubbin

Post by groovedude »

Scrubbing just means being able to grab the timeline "needle" and draging it back and forth (through time) while the audio/video preview displays the frame you are on. As opposed to just hitting the play button.

Its especially helpful when you want to do lip syncing because you can keep moving the needle sampling an area of time to find out exactly where a consonant/vowel sound is made.
sherlock

Post by sherlock »

Thanks. That is what I suspected and exactly what I was doing in Audition. Thanks for the info.
Muffins

Post by Muffins »

while we are on the subject of audio problems,

i am making a mock comercial for 'critter beans' for my video production class. i am using moho, and i am getting along very well with it.

my problem is that i have ZERO budget, and using a cheap desctop mic to record the voices. the audio files have a constant crackling in the backgroung from the cheap mic. are there any free programs out there that could help me clean them up? (i am working with .wav files)
groovedude

sound off

Post by groovedude »

If you are using Sound Recorder on a PC go to File/Properties, and (depending on what version) hit the Convert Now button, from the pull down menu titled "Name" select "CD Quality". This should help your sound considerably, it has reduced crackle for me. Note, I believe you have to do this before you start each session with it.

If on a PC you may want to try some free software, try Audigy, I think its in the Moho links.
7feet

Post by 7feet »

Theres a few. For one, I always liked Goldwave. Shareware, but very good, and if I remember correctly had some pretty spiffy noise correction. http://www.Goldwave.com. I haven't tried it, but Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) sounds good, and also has noise reduction.

If you are using sound that is built into you're motherboard, consider getting ANY sort of sound card to replace it. That might be where the crackly is coming from. Even the crappiest mic is probably going to be based on a cheap, but at least usable basic element. I don't really want to get into a deep discussion of doing sound on the computer (though I'll be happy to if y'all want it) but most "internal"sound sucks. I still find it hard to believe, but I've done records using an old Sound Blaster Live Value for the digital end (one of which is actually getting some airplay) and you could get one now for probably at most 20 bucks. I've bought somewhat real style) mics for $3 at oddlot kinda places that were entirely servicable for voicover stuff. By servicable I mean the sound might need a little EQ, but evreything clean and understandable.

Also, if you're having constant crackling, try that same mic with any halfway decent audio recording software. Often those sort of artifacts are from using something that wants to do some horrible automatic audio compression. Using something that is meant to record sound, and setting the levels right, can make all the difference.

--Brian
sherlock

Post by sherlock »

I was in radio for 15 years. Trust me when I say that you can get studio quality sound quite easily on a PC. The trick is a good mic and sound card, but it's nearly impossible to find a store clerk who knows anything about either.
7feet

Post by 7feet »

More what I was trying to point out was that you don't really need a "good" mic ( though a really lame soundcard is a killer). I'm not gonna spit on the floor if someone wants to bring their Nuemann along, but I've recorded some quite effective for the purpose tracks using dimestore or homebrew mics. Good is great, but I focused on the zero budget bit. I'm all too familiar, and even loving my 24 track and all the gearhead stuff I've collected over the years, I still try not to lose touch with the gum 'n' rubberbands style of getting it off the ground. Even a weak mic with a proper gain structure can get you by if tha'ts all ya got.

Store clerks! Don't want to start on that... "Huh?"

--Brian
Muffins

Post by Muffins »

thanks alot guys, goldwave is working miracles for me :)