Any Software to Create easily Simple Sounds?

General Moho topics.

Moderators: Víctor Paredes, Belgarath, slowtiger

Rai López

Any Software to Create easily Simple Sounds?

Post by Rai López »

Someboby knows a good and cheap (or freeware) software to create your ow simple sounds in it without have to recorder with microphone? I'm talkin about a program to create MIDI files in example, that can be aproximated at a basic sound that you have in your mind, like can be a "JUMP" for a jump (...), or a "BOING" sound for a spring, or a step, shots, etc... Well, if somebody knows I'll be pleased to heard, CIAO!
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

This isn't really for creating your own sounds per se, but have you looked at http://www.findsounds.com/?

As for creating sounds without using a microphone at all, I don't know; you could synthesize cartoonish sounds from scratch, but I'm assuming you don't have any knowledge of sound synthesis. What you might want to do is find various sounds on the web (see above) and turn them backwards, speed them up, slow them down, and apply all kinds of other weird effects. Just experiment like crazy and save everything you happen to like.
-Keith
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

P.S. if you use the above site, limit your search to 16-bit. 8-bit wavs are so awful they're useless. Lower than ideal sampling rates are okay, just not as clear.
-Keith
Max Power

Post by Max Power »

This may seem wierd, but you can get some cheap midi keyboards from garage sales or flea markets. Some of those old "general midi" things have well over 100 sound banks with percussion and goofy cartoon stuff as well, all for like 5 bucks. I buy as many childrens electronic music toys as i can find for sampling and later circut bending (a bit more complex).
You would still need to capture and edit the sounds which may be more complex than you want.

Finally if you have a midi program already, hunt around for "sound fonts". Many are free on the net and they have the sounds already layed out in the standard midi format. Any one can make them so you can find huge librarys of more samples and instruments than you can imagine, you just load them up and play. You can create your own with a program called Vienna Sound Font Studio....this was all like 5 years ago, but it should still be the same

hope I helped out ,
Max Power
jeff

Post by jeff »

I'm not sure you're going to find exactly what you want, Ramón, if you are looking for a Midi solution, as I think you may be mixing up Midi files with sound files like WAVs and MP3.

Midi files are just lists of control parameters that "tell" a soundcard which of its in-built sounds it should output and at what frequency. Midi files themselves, (as I understand it), don't have any sounds in them whatsoever, which is why they are so tiny.

Jeff
DK

Post by DK »

SuperJam is the easiest midi software to use that i've found. Best of all its FREE. You might want to convert the midi sounds/songs to wav files after you're done in SuperJam so you can use them in Moho. I use Roland Virtual Sound Canvas to do that job which i paid for. Someone else might know of a free midi to wav converter.

http://www.musicmachines.net/

Have fun!

D.K
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

Something to keep in mind here is that Ramon was looking for ways to create sound effects. MIDI really has no use in creating sounds; at best, it's for arranging and playing back sounds you already have. So I think it confuses the issue to elaborate on MIDI here, which is not what he needs.
-Keith
DK

Post by DK »

Kieth.

I was producing a radio jingle today and was found wanting for a triangle sound effect. After searching findsounds ( one of my favourite bookmarks) I could'nt find anything of suitable broadcast quality so I decided to scroll through the windows midi samples of which there are many handy sound effects. I then used SuperJam to produce a one note one bar triangle midi file "Ding", then converted that file into a wav using Roland virtual sound canvas. Worked Great!!!

D.K
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

Okay, but the MIDI has nothing to do with the generation of that sound. It's kind of functioning as a middleman there; if that was the only practical way for you to convert that sample to a wav file, that's understandable. My concern is that the original poster might not (from the sound of his post) understand what MIDI is.

Soundfonts, for example, are just wavs with extra data tagged on; they may not be directly playable in a wav editor (though they should be if you know the sample rate, channels, bits per sample, etc.), but at their guts that's what they are. A MIDI tool will play back that wav and change the pitch up and down, but that's about it. I wouldn't go so far as to call that "creating" a sound. Using a wav editor, on the other hand, allows you to do a heck of a lot more manipulation, to the point where you wind up with something so different you can consider it your own.
-Keith
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

Probably a combination of Midi and Wav editor are your best bet for creating sounds. A wav editor doesn't do you much good without some source material (although many do allow you to generate tones and noise that you could work with). Midi sound fonts could get you some good base sounds (and usually with the option to choose your pitch, too) Either that or get an inexpensive mic and do it yourself.

In any event a decent wav editor will allow you to do simple things like play a sound backwards, sped up or slower. A good part of the sound of the tornado in "Twister" came from playing the sound a camel makes backwards and slower (or at least that's the story I heard).

Like animation, it all really comes down to your imagination. There aren't really many (any?) good solutions for prefab computer generated sound FX that don't sound like prefab FX. You're going to have to stretch your imagination and work out some creative solutions.

Good luck!
________
Mercedes-Benz W114
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
AcouSvnt

Post by AcouSvnt »

I remember hearing that in the movie Christine, the sound of a roaring lion (or some other large animal) was mixed in at a low level with the sound of the car's engine to make it more menacing.

I should have clarified that using nothing but a wav editor isn't going to give you everything you need either. Though I know at least with Cool Edit, you can generate tones and noise. One of the best effects it has for something "cartoonish" is a pitch bender effect where you can draw the shape of the bending; you can set it to a very narrow range for fixing an out of tune note, or to a very large range for making drastic and silly sounds.

For generating sounds from scratch, you want to do a search on "softsynth". These programs will involve at least a little experimenting with, but will be worth it for the learning experience.

Again, though, there's a lot to be said for playing with and manipulating sounds you find elsewhere ... and I would maybe rethink completely ruling out coughing up the $$ for that cheap microphone, either. Most of the best source material is right in your own kitchen/bathroom/whatever.
-Keith
kdiddy13

Post by kdiddy13 »

Again, though, there's a lot to be said for playing with and manipulating sounds you find elsewhere ... and I would maybe rethink completely ruling out coughing up the $$ for that cheap microphone, either. Most of the best source material is right in your own kitchen/bathroom/whatever.
Absolutely, all the sounds from the Looney Toons were made by a group of guys in a foley room smacking shoes on tables, twanging springs and saws, and just generally goofing around until they got it. The sound of the laser canons in Star Wars was made by hitting a guy wire (those supporting cables on telephone poles) with a wrench and playing with the speed. Again, this probably isn't the whole story behind the sound but I think you'd be amazed at how simple many of the complex sounds in movies really are. Now with multitracking and speed FX it's even easier to create complex, layered sounds.

Cool Edit Pro is fanatastic! It's now called Adobe Audition and supports a video window and 5.1 mixing (if you have a card that supports it that is). Definitely worth the money in my opinion. Sound often times makes up a larger part of any movie than the picture. It gives weight to something that never even existed.
________
TROLLH?TTAN ASSEMBLY
Last edited by kdiddy13 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rai López

Post by Rai López »

:D Thanks for all the replys, Sorry if I don´t take part in my own posts so much than I'd like, but I have not internet conection and I have been much time out of forum (a pity :( because it is my favourite) ...Well, my idea was can make sounds like the ones you can hear when you play with videogames like Super Mario or Kirby, Zelda, etc... A simple and "silly" sounds, cause of this I thought in manipulate MIDI sounds, I have been experiment with Vienna and SuperJam and they can be a good choice, thanks for the help!
wena

Post by wena »

Dose anyone know where I can find good sounds, specially of seagulls?

Wena
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Google for it. Use the adavnced search to limit it to certain file types like mp3 or wav or aif.